Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Mawahip wrote: »
    it was a rejection letter for me, so I assumed they sent the invitations to the successful applicants too, I could be wrong though !

Well I have no post today; who knows if that's a good or bad sign :(

Sorry to hear you got the rejection letter; UCD seem to be quite strict with the HPAT results.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mawahip

ronivek wrote: »
    Well I have no post today; who knows if that's a good or bad sign :(

Sorry to hear you got the rejection letter; UCD seem to be quite strict with the HPAT results.

I have a feeling it is a good thing :) rejection letters are always the first to send, I hope you get in :)
    now the waiting for UCC, really hoping for that one, and hopefully they aren't so strict with HPAT, again, all the best of luck for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 speedbird184

Any word on UCC?

Any word on UCC?

nothing at all, I called last week and they said the invitations will be out in the next two weeks, so fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RichieRichRich

Got my rejection from Tcd ...finally some clarity. I can relax now

• Advertisement

Got my rejection from Tcd ...finally some clarity. I can relax now

Presumably they've decided who they're making offers to then; hopefully people should get some news soon.

Sorry to hear it was a rejection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Hard luck Rich (am i correct you are in line for a grad place anyway?)

Just for those interested, last year UCD sent letters 10 June to refusals and e mailed interview offers 11th. Interviews were July 1.

They only offer interviews to top HPAT scores, and I reckon by the time they interview a chunk of these may have accepted offers from elsewhere. They had only 1 place last year and its a 6 year course unless you have honours in all 3 LC major sciences.

I don't know what the cut off is, or what the minimum HPAT it, but last year the 2 people interviewed had scores of 212 and 184.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

Caolan wrote: »

Just for those interested, last year UCD sent letters 10 June to refusals and e mailed interview offers 11th. Interviews were July 1.

They only offer interviews to top HPAT scores, and I reckon by the time they interview a chunk of these may have accepted offers from elsewhere. They had only 1 place last year and its a 6 year course unless you have honours in all 3 LC major sciences.

I don't know what the cut off is, or what the minimum HPAT it, but last year the 2 people interviewed had scores of 212 and 184.

Caolan did you get tcd offer?

damn its hard go! i have rcsi offer and number 1 on the waiting list for tcd! and i prefer tcd!!!!!!!!!
    do ppl think it really worth it to wait a little bit for tcd ? or is it better to stick to my rcsi offer?????

jody24 wrote: »
    Caolan did you get tcd offer?

Didn't get a TCD interview, my sciences weren't up to scratch so I wasn't considered :(

They are a lot later than last year, I think they could have been first to offer last year. Strange it's taken so long, no doubt they will have lost students to other colleges as this stage.

• Advertisement

damn its hard go! i have rcsi offer and number 1 on the waiting list for tcd! and i prefer tcd!!!!!!!!!
    do ppl think it really worth it to wait a little bit for tcd ? or is it better to stick to my rcsi offer?????

What's closing date for rcsi acceptance?

if TCD is definitly your first choice hang on (if you can) I doubt it will be much longer.

You have RCSI as first choice, or TCD?

As far as I know the offers aren't binding anyway until they're made officially by the CAO. In other words just because RCSI have let you know they intend to make you an offer; I don't think it means you actually formally accept until July.

You could check with the CAO maybe?

In the letter they sent me, they said the cut off this year is 169 points

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

Mawahip wrote: »
    In the letter they sent me, they said the cut off this year is 169 points

Yikes, I got 169...would that indicate that the points for UCD would be circa 734? (I'm only basing this on how usually people with lower hpats have higher LCs to compensate)

Thanks for your kind words. It's all very exciting and hopefully you'll be on your way before summer is out. I wouldn't worry about age, I'm 31 (for now) and from what I know, 27 is the lower end of the mature applicants. Everyone feels "old" as we are so used to studying straight from school.

As for points for undergrad- the HPAT centile curves are practically identical to last year, so I'd expect very little movement as number of applicants to medicine on the CAO was pretty much the same as last year also (I think it increased by something like 19ppl)

Good luck, keep the head up!

If 27 is the lower end, that's great news - although I've heard there's no age in medicine - I guess I'm just eager to be on my way!
    Was wondering if you know whether the number of applicants for medicine change much between February's deadline & July's deadline for 'Change of Mind'? If they don't, that just leaves LC points in August for me to worry about!
    Good luck with you LC btw, it's a shame TCD don't allow for predicted grades like they do in the UK. Did mine in 2013 - worth it!

You're younger than me too; and since I'm not likely to get a place this year I'll be even older if I ever do make it in :eek:

Congrats Jody! I'd be tempted to wait it out. I know a guy who got in on the waiting list and he was a good bit further down than you. Ppl taking gem offers or bailing due to finance issues is a high probability.
    Do you mind if I ask about your background and hpat?? :D

Congrats Jody! I'd be tempted to wait it out. I know a guy who got in on the waiting list and he was a good bit further down than you. Ppl taking gem offers or bailing due to finance issues is a high probability.
    Do you mind if I ask about your background and hpat?? :D

thanks RichieRichRich.
    the gem offers are out in first round in july and if i dont accept rcsi offer in that round it will be gone. u never know!

my hpat was crap. well below 150. though i have lots of voluntary work with unicef and save the children. i also have a month of work experience in hospital from last year.
    education wise , initial degree in biomedical sciences, and currently doing master in molecular medicine.

i think thats it.and hope u good luck too.

You're younger than me too; and since I'm not likely to get a place this year I'll be even older if I ever do make it in :eek:

Didn't you also get an excellent hpat score (btw, how on earth do ye guys get those magically high hpats? I've done it 3 times now, told to aim for 190, but never got above 175)? I hope it goes well for you for UCD! It's probably too early to consider but if you didn't get a place this year, would you reapply next year or consider going abroad?

does any one know the deadline for accepting TCD offer when the offers are made from my tcd portal?

• Advertisement

Katdrama wrote: »
    Didn't you also get an excellent hpat score (btw, how on earth do ye guys get those magically high hpats? I've done it 3 times now, told to aim for 190, but never got above 175)? I hope it goes well for you for UCD! It's probably too early to consider but if you didn't get a place this year, would you reapply next year or consider going abroad?

In terms of the HPAT for the Dublin universities I believe only UCD really take it in any way seriously. RCSI and TCD certainly don't seem to take it into account based on what I've read; other than as a very early shortlisting tool.

As far as I know NUIG also uses it to shortlist 15 or so people for the MMI; so presumably the top 15 HPAT scores will be invited. UCC I'm not sure.

If I don't get in I really don't know. I don't have the option to leave Dublin for the time being; but that won't be forever. Ultimately if I don't even get a single interview I'll have to consider whether there's some red flag popping up with my application and as such reapplying next year would be pointless.

I am indeed gunning for UCD GEM. I have no idea how I'll fair trying to get the loan package from BOI though. Really worried I won't get it :'(

I am indeed gunning for UCD GEM. I have no idea how I'll fair trying to get the loan package from BOI though. Really worried I won't get it :'(

I would have thought GEM loan packages were almost a sure thing; anyone who puts the effort into the GAMSAT is surely pretty likely to have the drive to finish medical school and pay back their loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Can I just ask how are you applying for GEM and mature med? I thought GEM required a 2:1 or above in your first level 8 degree. And mature med applications require hpat and less than a 2:1 in a level 8 (1st degree) or less than a level 8 degree? Thanks :)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Can I just ask how are you applying for GEM and mature med? I thought GEM required a 2:1 or above in your first level 8 degree. And mature med applications require hpat and less than a 2:1 in a level 8 (1st degree) or less than a level 8 degree? Thanks :)

RCSI and TCD don't limit mature applications from those who are eligible for graduate medicine; others such as UCD do.

RCSI and TCD don't limit mature applications from those who are eligible for graduate medicine; others such as UCD do.

Ahhh I see! Thanks for the clarification. So basically you may have people with very high 1sts in their first level 8 applying for mature med in RCSI and TCD...

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Ahhh I see! Thanks for the clarification. So basically you may have people with very high 1sts in their first level 8 applying for mature med in RCSI and TCD...

Yeah; some people cover all their bases and apply with LC/Mature/GAMSAT. It's a little annoying for RCSI in particular; since they already do graduate Medicine. TCD it's understandable since they don't offer graduate Medicine.

I guess my feeling about mature entry is that it should be for those who don't really have another reasonable option; not just as another route in case one of your other options don't work out. But then again mature entry is my only real option so I suppose I would feel that way :P

Yeah; some people cover all their bases and apply with LC/Mature/GAMSAT. It's a little annoying for RCSI in particular; since they already do graduate Medicine. TCD it's understandable since they don't offer graduate Medicine.

I guess my feeling about mature entry is that it should be for those who don't really have another reasonable option; not just as another route in case one of your other options don't work out. But then again mature entry is my only real option so I suppose I would feel that way :P

Lol. Yes I would also agree with that. It does seem unfair that people who are eligible for GEM can still pursue mature med If they don't get through with GAMSAT. When most mature applications are not eligible to sit GAMSAT as they may have only gotten a 2:2 or a 1st in their 2nd degree etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Alreadyinuse

Ronivek and Sligo1 just echoing what you guys are saying about the GEM vs mature route. As another person who is ineligible for GEM due to the 2.2 I find it particularly frustrating with regard to RCSI considering that they clearly state on the mature med section of their website that mature entry is for people who effectively have no other route to get in;

"The aim of the Mature Entry Pathway is to widen access and provide an opportunity for individuals who may not otherwise find it possible to join a medical programme."

Having stated this as their mature entry mission statement (of sorts!) it's such an irritating contradiction in reality!!

Obviously having said that, I hate to sound tetchy vis-a-vis people who've gotten into MEP with beaming first degrees! Obviously people should try and cover all their options and more power to you! Just an irritating disparity! Best of luck everyone who're still waiting for offers after interviews, and congrats to all those who've gotten offers!!

• Advertisement

In terms of the HPAT for the Dublin universities I believe only UCD really take it in any way seriously. RCSI and TCD certainly don't seem to take it into account based on what I've read; other than as a very early shortlisting tool.

As far as I know NUIG also uses it to shortlist 15 or so people for the MMI; so presumably the top 15 HPAT scores will be invited. UCC I'm not sure.

If I don't get in I really don't know. I don't have the option to leave Dublin for the time being; but that won't be forever. Ultimately if I don't even get a single interview I'll have to consider whether there's some red flag popping up with my application and as such reapplying next year would be pointless.

Glad there's some variance in the universities approach to offers, (re:hpat at least), just means you have some other options based on your overall application's strengths & weaknesses. Don't know how relevant this is for here, but in the UK I heard they literally score your personal statement. It sounds like it's a red flag you can't really work around. Or can you?

Advertisement