Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hate U2

Options
  • 12-10-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I have a question,
    Why do people hate U2 so much. Is it their sound? Bono? Or have they just been around to long. Most bands have dodgy albums in their career. Im a huge Pearl Jam fan and I really like Metallica but they've had some **** albums as well. What is it that gives them credibility while U2 are blacklisted by critics and particularly metal fans (all my mates)

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Bono - some people think he's a total a$$hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

We (as a nation) don't like people getting too ahead of themselves. We like to knock them down a bit and (we) build them back up.

Bono never played by the humble unspoken rules that we ask of people, so as a result he gets burned big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Bono - some people think he's a total a$$hole.

Yep - Bono!!

I like their music and don't mind paying through the nose to go to their gigs but it irritates me when having paid over my hard earned cash we get treated to lectures about Africa, videos of Desmond Tutu etc Just play the music.

If I wanted to hear a sermon I'd go to mass.

If he's that concerned donate the profits from the gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jawgap summed it up perfectly for me. Like some of their earlier stuff but bono just winds me right up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,008 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I like u2, find them innovative and they're still producing quality tunes. However they're newer music gets slated while other bands who have been around for as long as u2 haven't released a decent song in 20 years get heralded.

Think it's the refusal of Bono to pay tax in the country and they're link with Apple who are gradually becoming a hated company.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭EireGreg

I dont hate U2, i just hate bono thats all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I like u2, find them innovative and they're still producing quality tunes. However they're newer music gets slated while other bands who have been around for as long as u2 haven't released a decent song in 20 years get heralded.

Think it's the refusal of Bono to pay tax in the country and they're link with Apple who are gradually becoming a hated company.

I don't mind the tax avoidance or the link up with Apple (or the deal with Live Nation) - that's just good business, but when it's combined with the pontificating, the preaching and the moralising it gets up my nose.

The real shame is, I think, if they focused on the music and dropped the peripheral activities, they probably still have a couple of good albums in them that would be both critically and commercially successful - if they gave themselves a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 blindmelon

Guys, this is really interesting. I actually discovered U2 in between Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby, Rattle and Hum was my first ever album. I think in those days U2 we're writing better songs.

Personally I didn't like the Desmond tu tu/yoda speech in the middle of the 360 gig. I hear though on the new tour they're going back doin indoor arenas. I think id prefer to see them in that environment.

One thing i'll say about U2, they're still playing guitars and while they're music mightn't be a raw as we'd like it to be, its better then the plastic pop X Factor manufactured thrash that just seems to be everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Cause bono is a cúnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Bono

Small man syndrome. Short arsed muppet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember the hate starting in the Dublin of the 1980s, with the FOAD2U2 scrawls on walls all over town. Cheek of them. Bunch of lads who grew up in Ireland having the gall to imagine they could be successful. I'm not a huge fan. Well, not really any kind of fan at all, but I do admire what they've achieved.

What are Paranoid Visions up to these days? FAIRPLAY2U2.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

This is the misconception that makes people hate bono and by association U2. For some reason, people can't separate U2 the company from Bono, larry, Adam and edge the individuals.

A certain portion of U2 the company's business (ie: the publishing arm) pay business tax in holland.

That company then pays wages to Bono, larry, Adam and edge, all of whom are resident in Ireland and all of whom pay income tax in Ireland.

It's really not that difficult to understand but the ignorant people who simply want to knock them conveniently choose to omit that when saying that Bono doesn't pay tax in Ireland. It doesn't suit their high horse argument.

That, in my opinion is why people don't like U2. It's a uniquely Irish thing though. Other counties applaud success and encourage it

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

I don't think people hate U2 at all. I'm proud of them and believe we all should be.

I don't hate u2. But their music is not of interest for me. Bono seems a bit self important but I think that anybody would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

This is the misconception that makes people hate bono and by association U2. For some reason, people can't separate U2 the company from Bono, larry, Adam and edge the individuals.

A certain portion of U2 the company's business (ie: the publishing arm) pay business tax in holland.

That company then pays wages to Bono, larry, Adam and edge, all of whom are resident in Ireland and all of whom pay income tax in Ireland.

It's really not that difficult to understand but the ignorant people who simply want to knock them conveniently choose to omit that when saying that Bono doesn't pay tax in Ireland. It doesn't suit their high horse argument.

That, in my opinion is why people don't like U2. It's a uniquely Irish thing though. Other counties applaud success and encourage it

Show me some numbers to back up this statement.

Show me some numbers to back up this statement.

Is that a serious question?
    Research it

a hint though: anyone who earns income and is resident in Ireland must pay tax here.

Denis O Brien for example is a tax exile. Bono isn't. Not yet anyway

Edit: anyway it's kinda going off topic. I believe the majority of Irish people who don't like U2, actually don't like Bono and by association U2. I don't feel it's anything to do with music. I'm not their biggest fan (of their music) by a long shot but I have no reason to 'hate' them

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mr ratbag

no matter what bad names you call bono or what terrible things you say about him its still not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I don't hate Bono as much as a lot of other people. What's more disappointing is the fact that they descended into mediocrity after been such a great band. They haven't had a good song since Beautiful Day IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

It's Jealously more than anything else.
    That and the fact their later music has generally been lazy crap glossed over with passed reputation.

Vinnie L wrote: »
    It's Jealously more than anything else.
    That and the fact their later music has generally been lazy crap glossed over with passed reputation.

I don't think it's lazy because I believe they spend 2 to 3 years writing and recording. I think yet certainly put the work in but that doesn't necessarily mean they can still produce the goods. On saying that though there are a couple of songs on the new album that I really like. And there's one to b released on the vinyl version that I heard the other day and think its a great song (can't remember the name of it though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Some people find it a cool thing to do, demonstrate hate for U2.

For me, I can take them or leave them. The music is ok but I don't want to be those types who shout their hate of U2 from the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Nothing to do with jealousy in fact I actually don't mind their music.
    The reason I don't like U2 is because of the little sh1tehawk lecturing us about Africa and having the ear of works leaders just because he was a good singer years ago.
    If I wanted to listen to lectures I would have paid attention in school not gone to concerts.
    His tax avoidance is his own business as I'm sure it's all legal.

tldr: shut the fcuk up about Africa and sing songs.

Nothing to do with jealousy in fact I actually don't mind their music.
    The reason I don't like U2 is because of the little sh1tehawk lecturing us about Africa and having the ear of works leaders just because he was a good singer years ago.
    If I wanted to listen to lectures I would have paid attention in school not gone to concerts.
    His tax avoidance is his own business as I'm sure it's all legal.

tldr: shut the fcuk up about Africa and sing songs.

What about all the other celebrity's that speak out on these issues, do you rant about them as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Vinnie L wrote: »
    What about all the other celebrity's that speak out on these issues, do you rant about them as well ?

Do they have the ear of world leaders?
    Do they address G8 summits?

No they talk a bit of crap on TV3 morning show which no one watches so they can be roundly ignored.

Do they have the ear of world leaders?
    Do they address G8 summits?

No they talk a bit of crap on TV3 morning show which no one watches so they can be roundly ignored.

You need to watch more than TV3 if you believe that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bob Geldof is far more annoying than Bono btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Famous guy could just sit on a beach in Barbados.

Instead he uses his fame to raise awareness and funding in relation to Africa and similar issues.

How dare he...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bob Geldof is far more annoying than Bono btw.

Yeah, but he's a 'Sir', so sold-out west-brit something something rant rant?

Plus, he made his millions behind the scenes, so he's not as easy a target.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Yeah, what's Geldof ever done for anyone?

As far as I know he just lived an excessive musician's life, made a truckload of cash producing tv programmes and never ever did anything meaningful or undertook any kind of project to help those less well off than him.

What a selfish so and so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

No one dislike them because of the boring bland generic "rock" sound of theirs? Around the mid 90's they stopped being a band and became a business.
    I hate bono, but I really dislike john lennon and Roger waters, but love the Beatles and pink floyd. Its a lot more than bono being a wánker

Advertisement