Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hate U2

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

Neither of them would be my type of person, but I never really understood the harm in the likes of Geldof or Bono speaking out on these issues, it makes a change from ignoring and accepting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,091 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

endacl wrote: »
    Yeah, but he's a 'Sir', so sold-out west-brit something something rant rant?

Plus, he made his millions behind the scenes, so he's not as easy a target.

Sir or no sir, he's still annoying. He was even annoying on Top Gear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

I remember the hate starting in the Dublin of the 1980s, with the FOAD2U2 scrawls on walls all over town. Cheek of them. Bunch of lads who grew up in Ireland having the gall to imagine they could be successful. I'm not a huge fan. Well, not really any kind of fan at all, but I do admire what they've achieved.

What are Paranoid Visions up to these days? FAIRPLAY2U2.
    :D

What does FOAD2U2 mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Cienciano wrote: »
    No one dislike them because of the boring bland generic "rock" sound of theirs? Around the mid 90's they stopped being a band and became a business.
    Around the mid 90's they stopped being a band and became a business

See, tbh, this is just naive. U2 always were run as a business. All successful rock groups are, really. I'm pretty sure they are on the record as saying they went with McGuinness as manager because his pragmatism and commercial awareness impressed them from day one.

I do agree with about you their sound being bland and generic in recent years. Seemingly this was a reaction to the poor sales of 'Pop' in the US market. Personally I loved that album but it was too much for the conservative US fanbase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

All because of you, all because of you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Cienciano wrote: »
    No one dislike them because of the boring bland generic "rock" sound of theirs? Around the mid 90's they stopped being a band and became a business.
    I hate bono, but I really dislike john lennon and Roger waters, but love the Beatles and pink floyd. Its a lot more than bono being a wánker

Yeah, 'cause bands like the Stones and AC/DC are all about the music man...zero commerciality about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What does FOAD2U2 mean?

Fcuk off and die to U2. Dublin can possibly claim to have invented txtspk!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

It thinks its because they (or us maybe) hype up their new albums saying they have gone back to their Joshua Tree or Achtung baby days gets me all excited and then the release another generic rock album that starts off with everyone saying its great and then 6 months later realising its poor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Apparently the FOAD2U2 campaign was started by paranoid visions!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoid_Visions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

fluke wrote: »
    We (as a nation) don't like people getting too ahead of themselves. We like to knock them down a bit and (we) build them back up.

Bono never played by the humble unspoken rules that we ask of people, so as a result he gets burned big time.
    I have heard of this view - I don't agree with it.
    What about Phil Lynott? There isn't disdain towards him.

I don't despise Bono the way some do, but he can be very smug and pontificating; it's nothing to do with him doing well.

U2 were brilliant in the first half of the 80s and remained good until the early 90s. But since the late 90s they've become quite bland and samey (with the odd exception) in my opinion - they just seem to be using a template and churning the same kind of thing out over and over, based on that template. Same with lots of bands/artists of course.
    So I wouldn't say I hate U2, but they just don't appeal to me anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

We (as a nation) don't like people getting too ahead of themselves. We like to knock them down a bit and (we) build them back up.

Bono never played by the humble unspoken rules that we ask of people, so as a result he gets burned big time.

All of that. And the fact the he is really a bit of a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭fluke

I have heard of this view - I don't agree with it.
    What about Phil Lynott? There isn't disdain towards him.

I don't despise Bono the way some do, but he can be very smug and pontificating; it's nothing to do with him doing well.

U2 were brilliant in the first half of the 80s and remained good until the early 90s. But since the late 90s they've become quite bland and samey (with the odd exception) in my opinion - they just seem to be using a template and churning the same kind of thing out over and over, based on that template. Same with lots of bands/artists of course.
    So I wouldn't say I hate U2, but they just don't appeal to me anymore.

Phil was a bit more of a man's man, he was a rocker. That how he's remembered. Same as Rory Gallagher. These guys were purely about the music.

On the other hand Bono and the guys don't really come across like that. I think a key problem with them is they are not relatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

U2 is to me as Ronald Reagan was to the Democratic Party: "I didn't leave them, they left me". The albums from Unforgettable Fire to Pop still sound great to me today, but then I don't know what happened. Then they stopped using Brian Eno and/or Daniel Lanois & friends for production, which might explain a few things ...

(I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned that half of U2 are, literally, "West Brits" born in the UK.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Bono is the main reason

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Original sounding band (powered by a guitarist with an affection for 15 million delay pedals) turning into rock by numbers tripe and releasing three more albums afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I was flicking through the radio and heard a new song on one channel followed by New Years Day on another channel. The obvious difference in quality would be plain to anyone with a passing interest in the band.
    Not really a fan of the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I hate the "jealously" and" we love to knock our own" lines.

How about their music is ****e, always has been, not my cup of tea.

Its as simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

That's not an exclusively Irish trait. Every nation does it. The proof is that it seems Bono is not very well liked anywhere in the world.
    Personally I think hes a bit of a knob but he is the lead man in the biggest band in the world and he seems no more of a pric or have any bigger a head than the captain of your local junior football team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I definitely agree it's not just an Irish thing, Bono gets the piss ripped out of him everywhere, even on South Park and Family Guy

FamilyGuy3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Is that a serious question?
    Research it

a hint though: anyone who earns income and is resident in Ireland must pay tax here.

Denis O Brien for example is a tax exile. Bono isn't. Not yet anyway

Edit: anyway it's kinda going off topic. I believe the majority of Irish people who don't like U2, actually don't like Bono and by association U2. I don't feel it's anything to do with music. I'm not their biggest fan (of their music) by a long shot but I have no reason to 'hate' them

Of course it is a serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

When I was a young lad I was living in Stillorgan so I'm old enough to remember U2 playing in Stella house Mt Merrion. I never went to see them then either ;)

adox wrote: »
    I hate the "jealously" and" we love to knock our own" lines.

How about their music is ****e, always has been, not my cup of tea.

Its as simple as that really.

That doesn't explain 'hate'. I don't like Lady Giggliegoogliegaga. I don't like what she does. I don't like her sound. I don't like her songs. I don't like anything about her public persona. I don't hate her though. In fact, I'm completely indifferent to her as a performing artist. She doesn't show up on my radar.

On the other hand I acknowledge her talent, and I admire the hard work that got her to where she is. Luckily for me, she's not compulsory.

There's an extra dimension to U2 vis a vis the irish, and it's an unpleasant dimension.

There's an extra dimension to U2 vis a vis the irish, and it's an unpleasant dimension.

I don't generally dismiss that begrudgery exists, but in this case the dislike of U2/Bono is far from an exclusively Irish thing, aside from the aforementioned South Park/Family Guy appearances, you've got plenty of stuff like this:

So it's far from a solely Irish attitude towards them.

The other thing is, we often latch onto something, take the whole Napster thing for example. Metallica were not the only ones to have sued, Madonna, Dr. Dre and many others sued Napster, but it's something that's always stuck to Metallica in particular. Likewise, Bono is far from the only pontificating celebrity, but he's simply become the premier example of it, and that just seems to have stuck to him in particular.

Yeah. Bonbon really doesn't do himself any favours...

Links234 wrote: »
    I don't generally dismiss that begrudgery exists, but in this case the dislike of U2/Bono is far from an exclusively Irish thing, aside from the aforementioned South Park/Family Guy appearances, you've got plenty of stuff like this:

Like the way (Irish born) Jimmy Carr pulls him up over pronunciation of Bohnio's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Liked them as a kid growing up, back in the 80s. They got very political in the late 80s so much so that the music took a backseat to the message. Music suffered as a result not to sat there weren't some interesting songs in the early 90s but for the most part the filler swamped the rest I think.

Music went from decent and innovative to downright bland and unimaginative as the 90s wore on and to be honest they haven't written a really good tune in a long time. Not the only ones though whose music loses quality as the band become rich and fat actually it happens to most bands. Even Radiohead are laboured and irelevant now.

Actually of the rock oldies on the go now, who is writing decent stuff? Bruce Springsteen still has the knack but who else?

buck65 wrote: »
    Actually of the rock oldies on the go now, who is writing decent stuff? Bruce Springsteen still has the knack but who else?

Rush?

Links234 wrote: »
    Rush?
    Better...

Liked them as a kid growing up, back in the 80s. They got very political in the late 80s so much so that the music took a backseat to the message. Music suffered as a result not to sat there weren't some interesting songs in the early 90s but for the most part the filler swamped the rest I think.

I find it a strange analysis to say their music suffered as they became more political. Their most political album, the Joshua Tree, is surely among their best? Many would say it is their best, and I'd certainly put it in their top three. I don't think even people who dislike U2 in general would say it is anything other than a decent album.

As for your impression that they only became political in the late 1980's, 1983's "War" features political themes, though perhaps not as overtly as The Joshua Tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

In all fairness Pearl Jam get a lot of hate too, particularly in North America where they're seen as the cause of all the turgid, radio-friendly post-grunge which dominated mainstream rock radio there for years. Personally I like their first two albums. Metallica get a lot of hate for the whole Napster thing and for the Some Kind of Monster doc.

As for U2 I don't hate them either. It's just that there's 473537354800 other musical artists that I'd rather dedicate my time to.
    Swans.

Advertisement