Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people hate U2

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Links234 wrote: »
    Rush?

Rush are awesome but they haven't done anything decent since like 82.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

I like u2, find them innovative and they're still producing quality tunes. However they're newer music gets slated while other bands who have been around for as long as u2 haven't released a decent song in 20 years get heralded.

Think it's the refusal of Bono to pay tax in the country and they're link with Apple who are gradually becoming a hated company.

Innovative? They haven't been innovative for the last two decades. Ever since Bonos messiah complex got out of control U2 has been nothing but a vehicle for his ginormous ego, the music comes in a distant second.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankly my dear

Innovative? They haven't been innovative for the last two decades. Ever since Bonos messiah complex got out of control U2 has been nothing but a vehicle for his ginormous ego, the music comes in a distant second.

Lot of hate for Bono, man. But yeah, even people here in the US don't like Bono. Was never the biggest U2 fan myself, but they do have a few songs I think are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Rush are awesome but they haven't done anything decent since like 82.

mmmwwaaahhh ahahahahahahahahahah .... so much wrong in such a little sentence.

Absolutely nothing good amongst this lot ? Seriously ?

84 : Grace Under Pressure
    85 : Power windows
    87 : Hold Your Fire
    89 : Presto
    91: Roll The Bones
    93 : Counterparts
    96: Test For Echo
    02: Vapor Trails
    07 : Snakes & Arrows
    12: Clockwork Angels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

RayCon wrote: »
    mmmwwaaahhh ahahahahahahahahahah .... so much wrong in such a little sentence.

Ah yeah, but c'mon, apart from.....

84 : Grace Under Pressure
    85 : Power windows
    87 : Hold Your Fire
    89 : Presto
    91: Roll The Bones
    93 : Counterparts
    96: Test For Echo
    02: Vapor Trails
    07 : Snakes & Arrows
    12: Clockwork Angels

.....what else have they done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can we keep on topic please,no need for a pissing contest about other bands output that's not related to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

porsche959 wrote: »
    I find it a strange analysis to say their music suffered as they became more political. Their most political album, the Joshua Tree, is surely among their best? Many would say it is their best, and I'd certainly put it in their top three. I don't think even people who dislike U2 in general would say it is anything other than a decent album.

As for your impression that they only became political in the late 1980's, 1983's "War" features political themes, though perhaps not as overtly as The Joshua Tree.
    I think that poster means they became more political as in, outside of their music - well when I say "they", I mean Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

With U2 the sum is greater than the parts - as individual musicians there pretty average (maby even less than average) in my opinion.

At the unveiling of the strat for Rory Gallagher in Temple Bar The Hedge said he used to sit in his room trying to pick out Rory solos. Yeah right Hedge SURE you did!!! coz it really shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

nelly17 wrote: »
    With U2 the sum is greater than the parts - as individual musicians there pretty average (maby even less than average) in my opinion.

At the unveiling of the strat for Rory Gallagher in Temple Bar The Hedge said he used to sit in his room trying to pick out Rory solos. Yeah right Hedge SURE you did!!! coz it really shows.

Surely a good musician is one who creates an individual, innovative style rather than just copying others? With enough practice any pub band guitarist could do a million extremely complicated twiddley diddley solos. It takes genuine talent to create an innovative sound, even if it does involve playing the same three chords over and over.

Mullen and Clayton have improved dramatically over the years. Clayton's bass playing on the last two albums has actually been pretty impressive. If anything Bono has been the real weak link in U2 for the last ten years. His voice and lyrics are just nowhere near where they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Lot of hate for Bono, man. But yeah, even people here in the US don't like Bono. Was never the biggest U2 fan myself, but they do have a few songs I think are ok.

Did you steal my username?

That's what most people think of U2 - some good songs.

The anti Bono stuff is Irish begrudgery and British snobbery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

weadick wrote: »
    Surely a good musician is one who creates an individual, innovative style rather than just copying others? With enough practice any pub band guitarist could do a million extremely complicated twiddley diddley solos. It takes genuine talent to create an innovative sound, even if it does involve playing the same three chords over and over.

Mullen and Clayton have improved dramatically over the years. Clayton's bass playing on the last two albums has actually been pretty impressive. If anything Bono has been the real weak link in U2 for the last ten years. His voice and lyrics are just nowhere near where they used to be.

The whole love of virtuosity in rock is rubbish anyway. None of this is Beethoven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Did you steal my username?

That's what most people think of U2 - some good songs.

The anti Bono stuff is Irish begrudgery and British snobbery.
    And when it's from Americans?
    Not attacking you but just wondering why you say this even though there are numerous posts contesting the begrudgery thing and numerous points being made that people dislike Bono for his smugness and pontificating and sense of self importance rather than the fact he has done well for himself.

If the intense dislike of him was due to him doing well for himself wouldn't all well known Irish people be disliked? This simply isn't the case.

Occasionally a celebrity become reviled anywhere, and since it's only them and not every other celebrity, it needs to be asked what is it they're doing themselves to cause this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Bonos waffle seems to be along the lines of; should all donate your money to XYZ charity, your state should help out more, you should pay more money.... oh, and we're moving all our money to another country so we get more money.

The "do as I say, not as I do" grates most people the wrong way I find.
    RayCon wrote: »
    Sold officially for €450k, but I'd wonder since the authority was going to be scrapped, was there much back-handed cash used to sweeten the deal that will probably not be seen? In saying that, it may have been sold at a "good price" to encourage investment in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Three reasons people hate U2:

Bono
    Bono
    Bono

Adam Clayton is a bit of a d*ck and not much of a bass player, but harmless.
    If you have ever seen the documentary 'It might get loud' you will see how out of his depth the Edge is alongside real guitar players Jimmy Page and Jack White.
    Larry Mullen is the only decent musician among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

kevin65 wrote: »
    Larry Clayton is the only decent musician among them.

I heard he is an unreal rhythm section

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I heard he is an unreal rhythm section

Doh! I meant Larry Mullen of course, post corrected:o

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭weadick

kevin65 wrote: »
    Three reasons people hate U2:

Bono
    Bono
    Bono

Adam Clayton is a bit of a d*ck and not much of a bass player, but harmless.
    If you have ever seen the documentary 'It might get loud' you will see how out of his depth the Edge is alongside real guitar players Jimmy Page and Jack White.
    Larry Mullen is the only decent musician among them.

Adam always comes across as a really nice guy. He's a far better bassist than he's given credit for. I play bass myself and find his stuff, though not complicated, suits each song perfectly.

Musicianship is overrated. Any pub guitarist can play complex riffs with enough practice. Genuine talent is creating something original...which U2 have done many times over.

Advertisement