Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vittoria Zaffiro tyre issues

Options
  • 12-10-2014 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

One of my bikes came with Vittoria Zaffiro clinchers (23 mm). A few months ago, the front tyre wall suddenly bulged out a few mm during a spin. When I removed and examined the tyre, it turned out that some of the threads in the wall were torn, probably from a small stone. So I replaced it with a GP4000 (based on all the positive reviews here).
    Now the rear Zaffiro has done the exact same thing, on a spin that included some freshly chipped roads. Is this a common problem, or are Zaffiro absolutely sh1te?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They're the cheapest tyre Vittoria sell so they're bottom of the pile in terms of quality and durability. I used them last winter and found them very comfortable and they rolled easier than shwalbe Luganos but I had a few punctures with them so puncture resistance isn't great but For such a cheap tyre I couldn't really complain. They're hanging in my garage now and will do as spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I have worn out 3 of these with no issues but I never inflate them over 110 psi.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

had that sidewall issue with the otherwise excellent luganos a couples times.. then my new bike came with zaffiros and ive been rolling on the same pair since may without an issue. will probably look to get them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Surprised to hear it, I used the same pair of Zaffiro Pros for a year and a half and didn't have a problem, one puncture the whole time. Inflated around 100-110 psi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I stopped using Zaffiro's and Rubino's a while ago after 2 Rubino's and 1 Zaffiro split in the very same manner without explanation and when I contacted CRC about the issue (the Rubino's had less then 200km on the both of them combined) they refunded me without question.
    I reckon Vittoria have changed something on the lower end that's causing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Interestingly I've had great experience with both zaffiros and rubinios. Inflate both to 105 to 115. Managed to get 8000km out of rubinios without a puncture. Bought the last lot in the spring. Expect to get the winter out of them. Is it a batch issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 laura2006

Im the very same bike came with these tyres and im 5months using them averaging about 150/200km a week with no issues yet ! Thinking of changing them for winter though.
    Ive probably just jinxed myself saying that as I head out for a spin !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Maybe it was a batch issue. There was less than 2000 km on them.
    Anyway, its GP4000s from here on.
    Darkglasses, I think these might have been just Zaffiro, as opposed to Zaffiro Pros. Maybe that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

while we're on the topic.. what shops in dublin stock vittoria tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

They came as the stock tyre on a Boardman I bought a couple of years ago and its the only time I've had a blow out on a tyre, about six months after I got the bike. I think the non-pro version is "entry" level and I don't mind manufacturers skimping on that cost on a new bike if they spend the money elsewhere, e.g., groupset, as tyres are a consumable. GP4000s since.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

while we're on the topic.. what shops in dublin stock vittoria tyres?

Humphries in Finglas that I know of

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

outfox wrote: »
    Maybe it was a batch issue. There was less than 2000 km on them.
    Anyway, its GP4000s from here on.
    Darkglasses, I think these might have been just Zaffiro, as opposed to Zaffiro Pros. Maybe that makes a difference.

Recently had the same issue with 6 month old GP4000s (less than 500 km). Hole in sidewall. First time I noticed it was when I saw a bulge coming out the side of the tire. Turns out the "bulge" was my inner tube protruding out the side of the tire!

Went with the GP 4 seasons as a replacement.

It would be helpful if posters stated what pressures they use with these tyres.
    It is possible to burst any tyre if the pressure is high enough. I have burst cheap threaded continental something tyres with the recommended 120 psi and this is why I dont exceed 110 on clinchers now.
    FWIW I bought 8 Zafiros and 4 Rubinos at 10 and 12 euro each from CRC. The max stated pressure for the Zafiro is 145 but I never exceed 110psi. As stated earlier I have worn out 3 with no problems, although I suspect there may well be because these are ridiculously cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I always run with 100 psi. Roads in west Cork are too harsh for anything higher, what with all that tar and chip bullsh1t.

It would be helpful if posters stated what pressures they use with these tyres.
    It is possible to burst any tyre if the pressure is high enough. I have burst cheap threaded continental something tyres with the recommended 120 psi and this is why I dont exceed 110 on clinchers now.
    FWIW I bought 8 Zafiros and 4 Rubinos at 10 and 12 euro each from CRC. The max stated pressure for the Zafiro is 145 but I never exceed 110psi. As stated earlier I have worn out 3 with no problems, although I suspect there may well be because these are ridiculously cheap.

If you want to state pressures you need also to qualify that with width, a 20mm tyre typically will have a much different pressure spec than 23, 25, 28, or 32mm. For 25mm tyres I find 100psi is fine but on 23 I would be getting closer to 110psi but not usually above that.

DaithiMC wrote: »
    If you want to state pressures you need also to qualify that with width, a 20mm tyre typically will have a much different pressure spec than 23, 25, 28, or 32mm. For 25mm tyres I find 100psi is fine but on 23 I would be getting closer to 110psi but not usually above that.

Read OP then. ;)

Read OP then. ;)

Yes, I saw you put it in there but your request was to posters, many of whom did not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,212 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Fitted a new Zaffiro IV tyre and new tube recently.
    Pumped it up, a bulge appeared on sidewall with inner tube protruding, and by time I noticed, *pop* the tube burst.

Tyre is brand new, should I ask for a refund?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes. that sounds like a manufacturing defect.

Advertisement