Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitors

Options
  • 12-10-2014 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

Any know how to set up two screens to one pc.

I have it working but only as duplicates, and when i click 'windows' and p it won't let me extend.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ouryear wrote: »
    Hi all

Any know how to set up two screens to one pc.

I have it working but only as duplicates, and when i click 'windows' and p it won't let me extend.

Any ideas?

How have you got the second screen connected? A separate port, or did you buy a splitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ouryear

yea through a splitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

yea through a splitter

Can't be done via a splitter. The clue in in the name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Technically speaking (and yes I realise I'm being entirely pedantic) *if* it was connected to a dual link dvi connection on a gfx card and it was a dvi splitter, it could drive two screens with an extended desktop.

but it's fairly unlikely the OP stumbled upon the correct components without knowing what he was looking for.

OP, if you have more than one connection on your graphics card then you just need to find the right cable and connect one to the other monitor.

damn! so i need a 'extender' then ;)

The computer can't detect a second screen, so more than likely i need a different graphics card then?

• Advertisement

damn! so i need a 'extender' then ;)

The computer can't detect a second screen, so more than likely i need a different graphics card then?

You need two outputs. Most graphics cards would have dual outputs, usually DVI/HDMI and Vga.

I can get both leads into from 2 monitors into the back of the computer, not using the splitter, but still no joy.

Should most new computers have graphics cards with dual outputs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I can get both leads into from 2 monitors into the back of the computer, not using the splitter, but still no joy.

You are probably connecting one to the disabled on-board graphics port?

Any cheap dual port G card will do you if your not looking for very high end graphics for gaming etc.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Are the two ports on the computer beside each other or a significant distance apart. If they are beside each other, make sure each monitor's input is set to the correct cable type. Then try windows and P.

Advertisement