Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird needs help

• 12-10-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

There's an empty unfinished house beside me. A birds nest fell down the chimney and the bird is trapped and distressed inside the house
    The house is locked up and calling the developer is not an option.

So who do I call?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Jayney :(
    I think a call to the ISPCA helpline might be in order op: 1890 515 515. They'll either (hopefully) send one of their own people out, perhaps with Garda assistance, or they may get your local SPCA involved.
    Another potential option is a wildlife rehabilitator.. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=129191827098502&_rdr They may have a network of people who may be able to help.
    But the ISPCA would be my first port of call.
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭mightybashful

DBB wrote: »
    Jayney :(
    I think a call to the ISPCA helpline might be in order op: 1890 515 515. They'll either (hopefully) send one of their own people out, perhaps with Garda assistance, or they may get your local SPCA involved.
    Another potential option is a wildlife rehabilitator.. https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=129191827098502&_rdr They may have a network of people who may be able to help.
    But the ISPCA would be my first port of call.
    Good luck :)

ISPCA work Monday to Friday :(
    Tried another contact on that other link. Ringing out.

I'll try the ISPCA tomorrow

Maybe a stupid question but if it fell down the chimney is it possible it could fly back up?

ISPCA work Monday to Friday :(
    Tried another contact on that other link. Ringing out.

I'll try the ISPCA tomorrow

Maybe a stupid question but if it fell down the chimney is it possible it could fly back up?

I wonder, if the nest fell down on top of it, could its way out be blocked? Though it's hard to see that he was on a nest at all at this time of year?
    Or more likely, it just hasn't the space to spread its wings to take flight? I think it's difficult for birds to fly straight upwards in any case!

I wonder, if the nest fell down on top of it, could its way out be blocked? Though it's hard to see that he was on a nest at all at this time of year?
    Or more likely, it just hasn't the space to spread its wings to take flight? I think it's difficult for birds to fly straight upwards in any case!

It's nest is in loads of pieces in the fireplace.
    I know nothing about birds. Don't they sleep in nests? I'm guessing that's how it got in the house.
    How long can the average bird (about half the size of a crow) go without food or water?

Hi op,
    They only use nests to lay eggs in and rear their young in summer. The rest of the year, most birds roost (sleep) in trees, hedges, or depending on the species, on the ground.
    It's generally crows that nest on chimneys, what may have happened is that your bird happened to stand on the nest, which collapsed and caused him to fall down the flue.
    If the nest can get as far as the fireplace, would there be enough space for the bird to come out the same way? Or could someone reach up and see can they grab it?
    I wouldn't imagine a bird would last longer than a small few days, esp if panicking. I think they'd go a bit longer without food, but I'm no expert in birdy matters!

• Advertisement

Hi op,
    They only use nests to lay eggs in and rear their young in summer. The rest of the year, most birds roost (sleep) in trees, hedges, or depending on the species, on the ground.
    It's generally crows that nest on chimneys, what may have happened is that your bird happened to stand on the nest, which collapsed and caused him to fall down the flue.
    If the nest can get as far as the fireplace, would there be enough space for the bird to come out the same way? Or could someone reach up and see can they grab it?
    I wouldn't imagine a bird would last longer than a small few days, esp if panicking. I think they'd go a bit longer without food, but I'm no expert in birdy matters!

It's a standard chimney in a 2 storey house. I was hoping it would be the case that it could get back out that way.
    It's was banging off all the windows earlier trying to escape.
    The house is all fenced off but I'll jump over tomorrow and throw some food through the letterbox but not sure how to put water in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

throw a brick through the window- save the birds life

Duh... I thought the bird was still trapped in the chimney, but it's actually loose in the house?
    Sorry :o
    It just *might* be worth calling the guards. If this is a nama-type house, and there's no chance that anyone will be along, they may just force the issue? Depends on your local guards though, some are great for this sort of problem :)

I think that's not a sensible option, let the rescue services do any breaking in that needs to be done... Legally.

Had crossed mine, and my daughter's mind!!

• Advertisement

Duh... I thought the bird was still trapped in the chimney, but it's actually loose in the house?
    Sorry :o
    It just *might* be worth calling the guards. If this is a nama-type house, and there's no chance that anyone will be along, they may just force the issue? Depends on your local guards though, some are great for this sort of problem :)

Local police station was closed down unfortunately. Don't think I'll get a response off the next nearest. Know from experience they're short staffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Had crossed mine, and my daughter's mind!!

the builders will have an account and get a new window no problem , just do it:)

the builders will have an account and get a new window no problem , just do it:)

Ok, I tried to see would you read between the lines earlier and not continue along these lines. Do what you like in your own time. But do not use this forum to advocate an illegal act.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try with the fire brigade, and in the meantime hang something opaque against the windows from the outside to block them completely - the bird won't see the glass pane otherwise and continue to smash against it to try and get out, breaking its neck in the process. If you only can, don't wait until any later than early tomorrow morning, the bird will NOT get out of the chimney vertically, and if it won't die of stress or injuries it'll die due to lack of water...

I regularly monitor the attic of our barn since I found three little skeletons - there are gaps in the brickwork from which the birds get in, but are unable to get out of again... it was heartbreaking to think that if I'd realised it on time I could have done something to help them. Since then I managed to free 2 redstarts and a blackcap, thank God, and that was a great feeling.

Anyway, even the Gards would be worth a shot, wherever they are located - they may not be able to help directly, but they may have a list of contact numbers to ring in case of animals in distress...

New Home wrote: »
    Try with the fire brigade, and in the meantime hang something opaque against the windows from the outside to block them completely - the bird won't see the glass pane otherwise and continue to smash against it to try and get out, breaking its neck in the process. If you only can, don't wait until any later than early tomorrow morning, the bird will NOT get out of the chimney vertically, and if it won't die of stress or injuries it'll die due to lack of water...

I regularly monitor the attic of our barn since I found three little skeletons - there are gaps in the brickwork from which the birds get in, but are unable to get out of again... it was heartbreaking to think that if I'd realised it on time I could have done something to help them. Since then I managed to free 2 redstarts and a blackcap, thank God, and that was a great feeling.

Anyway, even the Gards would be worth a shot, wherever they are located - they may not be able to help directly, but they may have a list of contact numbers to ring in case of animals in distress...

I've no way of blocking that amount of windows. I'm gonna have a quick look now and see if I can see / hear something but it's pitch dark so. Then I'll call the ispca at 9 and see what they say

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try with bin bags, perhaps.

Advertisement