Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science in D.I.T!

Options
  • 12-10-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi, I am currently in 6th year and due to sit my leaving cert next summer. I honestly don't have a clue what to expect after college. The course that I want to do is Computer science in D.I.T

The thing I'm worried about the most is getting a job after I complete the course ( and yes, I know I may not be accepted in) but it's quite frightening and I'm looking for some advice.
    Anyone who has completed a computer science course, have you been employed since? Is the computer science degree even enough to attract potential employers? I feel like my head is going to explode as I've all these subjects to study for and my future to plan. I may not have a second chance at another college course so I don't want to make a mistake.

I love technology and working with others to solve problems. I have small experience coding with Java and HTML. Is there anything I can prep for before the course? I want to do well and I will put the work in but I fear my incompetence will let me down.

Anyone at all who has done a computer science course, can you help me? Is there a high chance of employment? What's the industry like? Any advice about life after college and the course itself is hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I did the course. Graduated in 2009. I've been steadily employed since I finished the course. I don't think there's anyone who graduated with me (or the year above me) who doesn't have a decent job.

The internship option in 3rd year is great because you get a feel for what working in the industry will be like.

If you've anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Dr..

I did the course. Graduated in 2009. I've been steadily employed since I finished the course. I don't think there's anyone who graduated with me (or the year above me) who doesn't have a decent job.

The internship option in 3rd year is great because you get a feel for what working in the industry will be like.

If you've anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them.

That sounds great, how difficult was the course itself? And do you recommend preparing for it before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Dr.. wrote: »
    That sounds great, how difficult was the course itself? And do you recommend preparing for it before?

What I might find easy you might find difficult - bit of a hard question to ask. There's a lot of drop outs in 1st year but from what I remember it was people who really didn't know what the course is about.

Not sure what they are teaching in first year now but you could start with learning C.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

I'm currently a 3rd year. Once you have good problem solving skills and are willing to work hard, you don't need any prior experience in programming or computer systems in general as you will be given all you need and you can pick up more as you go. Having some programming experience will only be a benefit long term though as you can push ahead while the others are learning the basics. I think C is still the first year language.

As far as getting a job afterwards goes, its Computer Science. It's like asking for directions to a pub and then worrying that there may not be any drink there when you arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

You have a good chance of getting a job when you finish. Especially if you do the paid work placement in 3rd year.

You'll more than likely do C in first year. Then move on to either C# or Java in 2nd. There's a lot of Java in 3rd year.

As others have said, having good problem solving skills and a genuine interest in computer science will help you a lot. It can be quite a tough course at times and there'll always be one or two modules that you'll struggle with along the way, so it's not a course you can bluff your way through. If you have an interest and put the work in, you'll really enjoy it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement