Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone successfully returned anything to Argos thats broken down after one year?

Options
  • 12-10-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

I bought an Actifry in Argos 20 months ago and the motor in it has now died. Argos generally offer a one year return on products that breakdown. However an EU directive exists that suggest you should be entitled to return electronic products up to 2 years (potentially up to 6 depending on the product). Has anyone had luck returning something after the initial 12 months but within the 2 year period ?

I ask because I'm sick right now and will have to ask someone to return the actifry on my behalf .I'd rather not send them into an awkward shop battle, I'd like to know if there's any chance of success and if not I'll just let it go.

If anyone has experience or advice let me know please.

I have proof of purchase by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

You would have to prove it was a manufacturing fault - motors can break due to use. They are available as a spare part too and relatively easy to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The EU directive was not enforced in Ireland IIRC as our consumer laws were deemed stronger.

If the item is truly faulty, and hasn't broken down due to overuse/misuse etc, then you should return to Argos, with your proof of purchase. Bear in mind that Argos are entitled to determine if it was a fault before proceeding to remedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

delahuntv wrote: »
    You would have to prove it was a manufacturing fault - motors can break due to use. They are available as a spare part too and relatively easy to install.
    There is no onus on the consumer to prove it was a manufacturing defect, he merely has to show it is defective. The retailer may examine the item and show the cause of the defect is due to the user.

OP, if the product is defective (rather than misuse) you are entitled under the Sale Of Goods and Supply of Services Act to seek a repair or replacement from the seller. If neither are practical you are entitled to request a full/partial refund.
    The EU directive only specifies 2 years as the minimum level of protection each member state must apply. Irish law (Statute of Limitations) allows you to make a claim up to 6 years after a problem occurring so you are not confined to 2 years but you should promptly report any defect to the retailer.

Bring the item back to any Argos branch with proof of purchase and talk to them nicely. Argos are well known for being good at sorting out this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

slimjimmc wrote: »
    There is no onus on the consumer to prove it was a manufacturing defect, he merely has to show it is defective. The retailer may examine the item and show the cause of the defect is due to the user.

same thing really - if the defect was caused by misuse, then its not a manufacturing defect and not claimable. A defect not caused by misuse, would by default be a manufacturing defect.

Problem is a motor can easily break with a surge in elevtricity or other way that would not be considered a defect.

Therefore the OP should ensure they approach it in the right way, and also be prepared that it may not be covered - a quick google serch does not show any known issue wth the motors of the actifry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It definitely has not been misused or even overloaded, I don't think it's ever been filled to capacity. It's only occasionally in use too. I feel it would be fair to expect to get longer out of it.
    I will give it a shot anyway, thanks everyone for your advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement