Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to Get Started

Options
  • 12-10-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm after trying out some DAWs (FL, reaper and ableton) and have decided to go with ableton live 9 to get me started. I've started watching Sadowick's tutorials to get me familiar with the software but I would love some advice on what to do next.

I've ordered the dance music manual as it was suggested to me by a friend who has been using fl for a couple of months to make techno. If there is any other books you could recommend it would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering what I should do for samples, synths and plugins. Like should I limit myself to a certain amount of things to use? What sample packs are worth buying? What are some good free synths and effect plugins? Those sorts of things.

I'd like to start making house music a long the lines of shadow child, friend within and jack beats. So any information on things the standards to that style of music would be great. I know their tracks are base heavy but beyond that I don't much outside the basic drum patterns. (4 on the floor, CH on 16ths, snare/clap on the 3rd and 4th Kick, OH on the offbeat) I know most of it is just to hard graft and discovery but as I'm just starting out a lot of this seems daunting.

I know this thread has come has come up before but they're all old enough to maybe be outdated.

Cheers for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

2sACrowd wrote: »
    So I'm after trying out some DAWs (FL, reaper and ableton) and have decided to go with ableton live 9 to get me started. I've started watching Sadowick's tutorials to get me familiar with the software but I would love some advice on what to do next.

I've ordered the dance music manual as it was suggested to me by a friend who has been using fl for a couple of months to make techno. If there is any other books you could recommend it would be greatly appreciated. Just wondering what I should do for samples, synths and plugins. Like should I limit myself to a certain amount of things to use? What sample packs are worth buying? What are some good free synths and effect plugins? Those sorts of things.

I'd like to start making house music a long the lines of shadow child, friend within and jack beats. So any information on things the standards to that style of music would be great. I know their tracks are base heavy but beyond that I don't much outside the basic drum patterns. (4 on the floor, CH on 16ths, snare/clap on the 3rd and 4th Kick, OH on the offbeat) I know most of it is just to hard graft and discovery but as I'm just starting out a lot of this seems daunting.

I know this thread has come has come up before but they're all old enough to maybe be outdated.

Cheers for any help!

If you have an ipad pick up sample magics 'The art of house music production' lots of tips and plenty of ableton in there too.. you can also buy a hard copy of the book from the sample magic website but the app is better.

as for sounds just use what you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SameHorse

Stab*City wrote: »
    If you have an ipad pick up sample magics 'The art of house music production' lots of tips and plenty of ableton in there too.. you can also buy a hard copy of the book from the sample magic website but the app is better.

as for sounds just use what you can.

+1

Advertisement