Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on Mortgage application.

Options
  • 12-10-2014 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Due to the recent announcement by the Central Bank I have decided to apply for a mortgage for a house priced at approx €120k. Does anyone know if this would be achievable on a salary of €33.5k per annum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Miseryguts wrote: »
    Due to the recent announcement by the Central Bank I have decided to apply for a mortgage for a house priced at approx €120k. Does anyone know if this would be achievable on a salary of €33.5k per annum?

It will all depend on your circumstances, if you are permanent, if you have other loans. At present you can borrow upto 92% of the value. My advise would be to speak with a mortgage broker

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

You'd get about €90k and that's assuming you meet all the criteria that you have to satisfy in order to get the €90k.

Steven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

SBarrett wrote: »
    You'd get about €90k and that's assuming you meet all the criteria that you have to satisfy in order to get the €90k.

Steven

That's not even 3 times his salary

He would get 120 easy

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

I was talking to an adviser and on his evaluation of all my details he believes €120k is attainable. The biggest hurdle is of course the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Miseryguts wrote: »
    I was talking to an adviser and on his evaluation of all my details he believes €120k is attainable. The biggest hurdle is of course the deposit?

start saving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I understand that if you get approval in principle before 31/12 then it's good until it expires

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Miseryguts

homer911 wrote: »
    I understand that if you get approval in principle before 31/12 then it's good until it expires

Yes the mortgage approval remains active for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

To be honest, approvals, be it six months or 3 months are guidelines. The central bank do issued recently started that it expected banks to take the proposed criteria into account when offering loans from the day and hour it was issued. Any offer made to you which doesn't take the guidelines into account will be unlikely to be followed through on st drawdown time. It may be (probable actually) that the CBI proposals will be watered down to a 15% deposit requirement, but u should plan for 20% regardless.
    There's nothing worse than getting geared up for a purchase of a particular property (and the expense of valuations, surveyors, lawyers etc), only to find that the finance isn't forthcoming, there's no point in trying to best the deadline, it's already in force.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Seany

OP If you are single (with no dependents) with no other borrowings and are young enough to take a 30 or 35 year mortgage you will qualify based on your income for 110,000 (92%) of the 120,000 purchase price.

If not I can recalculate based on your actual circumstances. You would need to show repayment capacity in your bank statements over the past 6 months to cover monthly (stressed) repayments of 650-700 (either rent or regular savings or both) and have evidence of a deposit (plus cost of stamp duty and solicitor fees...in this case around 14/15k total).

Advertisement