Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Holiday just after Christmas

Options
  • 12-10-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Like it says in the title, looking to head away around new years day or so to the States. Not sure of destination yet possibly Boston but open to ideas, would love to hear from anyone else who has travelled at this time of year. It'll be a group of 10 people, 4 adults and 6 youngsters from mid/late teens to early 20's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

too many variables to advise best destination but all I will say is that it will be COLD in Boston at that time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

The problem is the weather, no matter where you are - especially if you're taking internal flights. I've been sat waiting for flights from SF to LA a number of times in January, due to the weather in Chicago, meaning the incoming plane servicing SF->LA was delayed...one time by 6 hours, so I drove.

Personally, I love NY after christmas, it is relatively quieter (especially after NYE), hotel rates come down slightly and the weather can be bitter but NY is made for that sort of weather.

You just need to plan ahead with the weather, and have enough indoor activities planned wherever you are .

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

Perfect time to go skiing :) For a family, someplace like Smugglers Notch would be a lot of fun - http://www.smuggs.com/

The cities will be cold at that time of the year. I also like NYC in the colder weather, but it can be trying after a snowstorm when the traffic is spraying slush up on the sidewalks and there are standing pools of ice water at the crosswalks. Dry and cold is fine, but you need to be prepared for winter wind chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,441 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you will have to pack lots of layers and boots for everyone. It may not be the right time of year to go to Boston if you have to invest in a whole new wardrobe of severe weather gear just to walk around the streets. Then you have to think of how you're going to entertain teenagers if there's a blizzard blowing outside....

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

New York and/or Florida for that time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

yew_tree wrote: »
    New York and/or Florida for that time of year.

Agree with Florida. We are going for 8 months in mid January

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Went to Orlando in the end just back, really was a fantastic trip :) Good time of year to go to Florida I think, the weather is brilliant but not unbearably hot like it sometimes seems to get be in summer, and the crowds are slightly smaller also for the different attractions. Everyone really had an absolute ball, cheers for all the different input on here :)

Advertisement