Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start a mens clothing company?

Options
  • 12-10-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

I'm 17 currently still in school and I've had the idea of starting my own clothing company for a while now.. I don't mean 500 euro for a stupid t shirt clothing company but moderate enough pricing etc..
    I've got some good ideas (or so people say) and I'll be fine for advertising.

I hope to have a online store as I'm too young for retail space.

Any ideas of how to get up and running?

I don't plan on buying in bulk from a Chinese wholesaler and selling it as my own I want to actually design and make my own clothing..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seanf999 wrote: »
    I'm 17 currently still in school and I've had the idea of starting my own clothing company for a while now.. I don't mean 500 euro for a stupid t shirt clothing company but moderate enough pricing etc..
    I've got some good ideas (or so people say) and I'll be fine for advertising.

I hope to have a online store as I'm too young for retail space.

Any ideas of how to get up and running?

I don't plan on buying in bulk from a Chinese wholesaler and selling it as my own I want to actually design and make my own clothing..
    You are talking about several different businesses. Decide which of them makes you feel happiest. Retail is a mile away from design. If design is your thing, are you doing Art in the Leaving? NCAD does a very good design course, but unless you strongly expect an A1 think of doing a portfolio course first in a place like Ballyfermot (very good rep.!) Where are you on your CAO choices for next January?

For manufacturing you are waaaay too young and inexperienced to start out on your own, and the set-up/overheads are far too high. Most 'Irish' fashion is designed here but made up overseas, cost reasons, Ireland is too dear. Some is shipped back for finishing here, to get the label.

Have you a part-time job in fashion retail? Build up your experience, follow the trends, Paris, Milan, W Magazine, Vogue, sketch, sketch, sketch, sketch, sketch.
    One of the most depressing things for a clothes designer is being too far ahead of the curve, knowing what is right but not seeing it selling and being stuck with rails of the stuff. It's worse for a manufacturer, the financial hit is greater. Get experience first, at someone else's expense, then think of going alone. But for the moment, eyes should be on next June!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Seanf999

So are you suggestion I get a job in retail and do my research or that I should possibly go ahead with a online store (not with my own clothing items)?
    I was thinking after I wrote the question and I realised chances are I'm far too young to start up a actual brand,
    I mean I have some basic income but it really isn't enough
    unless I buy t shirts etc in bulk from china and find someone who can and will print logos/designs and I can stitch on the labels etc..
    I've some basic knowledge of this too because my grandfather worked as a suit tailor and my father picke up a bit from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Seanf999 wrote: »
    So are you suggestion I get a job in retail and do my research or that I should possibly go ahead with a online store (not with my own clothing items)?
    I was thinking after I wrote the question and I realised chances are I'm far too young to start up a actual brand,
    I mean I have some basic income but it really isn't enough
    unless I buy t shirts etc in bulk from china and find someone who can and will print logos/designs and I can stitch on the labels etc..
    I've some basic knowledge of this too because my grandfather worked as a suit tailor and my father picke up a bit from him.

My suggestion is to concentrate on the LC next June. You are far too young to do what you propose and be successful in what is a highly competitive sector. Launching a brands costs hundreds of thousands. Any on-line business start-up will be a distraction. Delay it for a year. Decide if you want to be on the design or business side of things. Get the points, go to college, you’ve loads of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭IpreDictDeatH

Forget online, it's sewn up by the big guys and it isn't as serious a player as they were predicting anyway (unless your asos,amazon..etc)

Get a job in the industry, save up like crazy, get tons of experience, open a market stall selling t-shirts or hats...Just get active in the industry. Experience, direction and a big savings account can get you where you want to be in a few years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Its great that you are interested in starting up a business it really is a great experience to have! As others have said already though definitely focus on getting as much relevant experience as you can. Put together a business plan you may be surprised how much you have to charge for things and put together a portfolio of designs to show people who do have experience to see if they think you have something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badgerbadger

have a look at qwertee.com if your design gets printed you get €1 for every tshirt sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Marc Ecko's interview on the social triggers insider podcast would be a good listen for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Check out a fellow startup sbaam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

have a look at qwertee.com if your design gets printed you get €1 for every tshirt sold.

Had no idea that is how they worked that is definitely the way to go!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You could always start a small online store by using something like spreadshirt. Yeah, it's not designing and making the clothes from scratch but it'd still be some experience and side money for the future when you're ready to try moving towards totally original products.

• Advertisement
Advertisement