Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eMobile Data Speeds 3G

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I've been with eMobile for some time now, and was getting good bandwidth whenever i tested. I recently tested the bandwidth, and it has dropped to almost 1/10th of what it was earlier in the year. Only answer i get from support is 'speed depends on may factors',

Below is some of the results from the phone at mostly the same location. I'm wondering have they throttled the bandwidth in an attempt to force people onto the more expensive 4g package? 

I'd also like to know what they guarantee as a bandwith for the phone, and how can it be properly benchmarked. Their advertising says 4g '10 times faster' but faster than what. ?

Wondering if others are noticing this change in speeds?

Date Type Dn Up Server
    12/10/14 20:18 Hspap 0.62 1.14 Enniskillen
    12/10/14 20:15 Hspap 0.47 1.29 Enniskillen
    12/10/14 20:14 Umts 0.44 2.99 Enniskillen
    12/10/14 17:48 Hspap 0.54 2.24 Enniskillen
    12/10/14 17:39 Hspap 0.43 1.28 Enniskillen
    12/10/14 16:26 Umts 0.72 2.95 Enniskillen
    11/10/14 18:32 Hspap 0.6 2.42 Dublin
    11/10/14 18:31 Hspap 0.67 1.65 Enniskillen
    11/10/14 18:27 Hspap 0.63 2.16 Enniskillen
    09/10/14 19:45 Hspap 1.21 1.25 Enniskillen
    12/02/14 10:35 Hspap 9.18 0.61 Dublin
    12/02/14 10:34 Hspap 9.73 0.87 Enniskillen
    09/01/14 14:51 Hspap 13.4 1.86 Enniskillen
    08/11/13 15:15 Hspap 11 2.25 Enniskillen
    08/11/13 13:13 Hspap 4.63 0.35 Enniskillen
    10/08/13 18:46 Cell 8.14 2.94 Dublin
    10/08/13 17:14 Cell 8.17 2.82 Dublin
    10/08/13 17:13 Cell 7.3 3.03 Dublin
    10/08/13 12:26 Cell 3.61 2.81 Dublin
    10/08/13 12:25 Cell 7.27 2.43 Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

same issue, going on months now with the terrible 3G speed. on the 34.50 select unlimited since it launched a few years back.

i can never get over 0.7mbps download, i get maybe 1/2mb upload though.

i used to always get 7-8mbps down, but now, its like its limited to 0.7mbps. it 'never' goes above 0.7.

does not matter what mast im connected to, ive tried speedtests east and west in my county in good areas with full 3G signal, always the same low speed.

lots of posts on emobile.ie community forum, emobiles modus operandi is that they are looking into it but unaware of any issue. the first line is usually to change SIM card, when that fails to fix the issue its the 'too many users connected' ' dont guarantee speed' 'many factors affect mobile broadband' etc etc...

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Service-degradation-over-last-few-weeks-months/td-p/49763
    http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/HTC-One-M8-0-5Mb-Download-Speeds/td-p/49757
    http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Nexus-5-poor-data-speed/td-p/48991/page/2
    http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Internet-Speeds/td-p/48987/page/2
    http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Network-Speed-HSPDA-seriously-EMobile/td-p/48857/page/2
    http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Mobile-broadband/3G-ridiculosly-slow-in-Cork/td-p/49671[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FishD

Ha. 

I can confirm its not a phone or sim issue here, as it happens on my wife's samsung galaxy 4 phone, exactly the same as my samsung galaxy 4. I'm close to the garda station in leixlip, so the signal is full all the time.

Only conclusion,

They have reduced the speed in order to sell their faster (and more expensive 4g product). I and my wife are both business customers, and their service now does not meet our requirements, so in Jan when the contract is up, IM MOVING.

In the meantime i will be using whatever means i can to publicise this issue

Gerry in Leixlip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi Guys,

Although we’ve had no reported issues we’ve passed on examples of this from other posts in order to have it looked into. As of yet we’ve not received any info on this but we’ll be sure to update you as soon as we know more.

Thanks,

Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭swampyk08

Hi All,

I ran a speed test just now (3pm) and its 0.44mbps down and 1.17mbps up here at the GPO, Dublin.

3G has been like this for months now.

Not much point paying for an unlimited data plan with speeds like these.

Any idea on when this will be resolved, if it can be??

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rordeb

swampyk08 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I ran a speed test just now (3pm) and its 0.44mbps down and 1.17mbps up here at the GPO, Dublin.

3G has been like this for months now.

Not much point paying for an unlimited data plan with speeds like these.

Any idea on when this will be resolved, if it can be??

I eventually became so fed up with my 3G speeds- I thought it was my iPhone 5s. Speeds used to be up to 7. Now am mostly getting under 1. Really annoying and is chewing my battery. I have requested a new sim but had a terrible thought that eircom might be throttling back on the unlimited 3g. Would like to hear from others as Eircom have not stated they have any 3G speed issues. Would love to hear what the regulator would have to say about it.

Would love to hear from am eircom employee? Is there a problem currently as using a mobile on your 3G network is a miserable experience.

• Advertisement

Another point I would like to make is that Emobile's customer service is excellent. So I look forward to your response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Speeds are fine here on Meteor so i'm not sure why it would be any different for eMobile as they use the same network.

On 4G the speeds are amazing , but even my 3G is always 7-10Mb/s down .

jay93 wrote: »
    Speeds are fine here on Meteor so i'm not sure why it would be any different for eMobile as they use the same network.

On 4G the speeds are amazing , but even my 3G is always 7-10Mb/s down .

Yes buy you are on a 4g package. My dl speed in baggot street this morning was 300kb.

Bonus! just got up to 0.51mbps there.

eMobile dont want to know it seems, the correspondence on the emobile community forum is 'no reported outages, no issues' its with the tech people.

there are several threads from users all reporting the same thing.

complete rubbish it is.

im on the 34.50 select unlimited since it was introduced, 3g speeds only over the last few months have gone to pot, i cannot get over 0.51mbps no matter what masts i am connected to or time of day

• Advertisement

people can you please register on the emobile forum and post on there aswell? the more of us that bring it up, the more they cant ignore it (i would hope)

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Service-degradation-over-last-few-weeks-months/m-p/50743/highlight/false#M633

0.63Mbps Down and 0.62Mbps Up at the GPO this fine morning.

Changed SIM, same throttled speeds.

0.3mb down 2.6mb up

BArra wrote: »
    people can you please register on the emobile forum and post on there aswell? the more of us that bring it up, the more they cant ignore it (i would hope)

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Service-degradation-over-last-few-weeks-months/m-p/50743/highlight/false#M633

Today near Pearsr Street - this is my normal Emobile, battery chewing experience currently. Can't stay with them much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

rordeb wrote: »
    Today near Pearsr Street - this is my normal Emobile, battery chewing experience currently. Can't stay with them much longer.

I get battery chew from having no signal at home most of the time -

I got 4.7 MB down and 0.82 up on 3G in Drogheda the other night...

Nexus 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

On the 34.50 select unlimited 3G plan as well and have been consistently getting ~0.7 down and ~1.0 up around Cork city the last month or so. Getting a new sim hasn't made a difference. I'll be in Dublin this weekend and will see if I get better speeds there.

your speed wont improve. getting fairly fed up with it now. its been over two months since i got more than 1mb download speed

Its getting worse - 0.31 down and 0.63 up at the GPO right now.

It's as bad in Cork today. Terrible. 0.3/0.4

Emobile responded on their forum, investigation closed, there is no issue they say.

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Service-degradation-over-last-few-weeks-months/td-p/49763/page/3

A joke.

I just ran the speedtest app and I am getting 0.26 down - 0.25 up at the GPO at 9am.
    This is with the 34.50 unlimited plan.

I think its time to move networks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

I just ran the speedtest app and I am getting 0.26 down - 0.25 up at the GPO at 9am.
    This is with the 34.50 unlimited plan.

I think its time to move networks.

I have got a 4G plan using a 4G sim on a Samsung Galaxy s5.
    I live in Sligo.
    I have had pathetic download speeds of 0.15MBs for the last few days.
    I did the sim swap to no avail.
    I am sick of being told blatant lies by emobile customer care that there is no issue.
    I was getting speeds of over 20 Mbs in Sligo up until last week.
    It seems that emobile avail re fobbing people off
    Can Alex White or ComReg fine emobile for not resolving the problem.
    obviously it ins an issue all over the country.

The official answer after their long review is there is nothing wrong with the network. I was going to go down the complaints route but then decided not to. Instead I switched to vodafone yesterday.

I am now enjoying in excess of 5mb d/l speeds on 3G. All in the same areas that I was using Emobile.

Eircom need to be HONEST with their customers - sub 1m/b speeds during business hours is a joke. It also eats the battery and your will.

This really looks like a congestion problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

You're lucky in that you can switch networks now - I have another 12 months to go on an 18 month contract on their 34.50 unlimited plan. Mixed in with the usual crappy speeds I got a few  2.5 - 12 Mbps download speeds while I was in Dublin for the weekend so the issue appears to be congestion rather than throttling. Getting the usual 0.6 Mbps back here in Cork.

polaris68 wrote: »
    You're lucky in that you can switch networks now - I have another 12 months to go on an 18 month contract on their 34.50 unlimited plan. Mixed in with the usual crappy speeds I got a few  2.5 - 12 Mbps download speeds while I was in Dublin for the weekend so the issue appears to be congestion rather than throttling. Getting the usual 0.6 Mbps back here in Cork.

I noticed that emobiles speeds picked up in the late evening from 7:30 pm onwards. There has to be a problem with their network.

My advice is to get people to post their current speeds on the emobile ireland Twitter account.

looks like they have 'reopened' the investigation of terrible 3G data speed...

http://letstalk.emobile.ie/t5/Internet-on-your-phone/Why-is-my-data-speed-so-slow/td-p/50515/page/5

i wonder what conclusion they will arrive to this time, maybe the wind is blowing too much and causing 0.3mbps 3G speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭eircom: Aisling

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Hi guys[/font]

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]We have been unable to determine any faults in our service. However due to the level of reports we have had in relation to this, our tech and IT departments have begun a full investigation. We are hoping for an update in relation to this very soon[/font]

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Calibri", "sans-serif]Ash[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've emailed comreg about this and I urge others to do the same. I've asked what their position is on carriers throttling their service in order to up sell or force out certain contracts.

Emobile posted an update on their forum..

It says they have identified an intermittent issue with 3G and are looking into a fix

Tested this morning 9:45am at the GPO - its now 12.94 down and 0.64 up.
    Did someone in eMobile flick a switch?

• Advertisement

Tested this morning 9:45am at the GPO - its now 12.94 down and 0.64 up.
    Did someone in eMobile flick a switch?
    Looks like a switch has been flicked finally... Let's wait to see is it stable though

Advertisement