Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

park run

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

There is one of these starting in Killaloe soon, surprised its not in Limerick yet, hopefully soon.

Parkrun starts in Limerick this Saturday at The Boat House in UL.

http://www.parkrun.ie/limerick/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wonder if it'll be on this week? It's been cancelled since before Christmas due to flooding of the route.

I did parkruns regularly in Dublin and really enjoyed them. It would be great to see the Limerick one getting off the ground.

According to their Facebook page its going ahead.

Pandiani wrote:
    According to their Facebook page its going ahead.

Oh great news!

Where exactly does it start from? Where is the boathouse in UL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Go into ul by the tall flags. Left at roundabout and left again at next roundabout. Just follow the traffic. There will be a lot there.

Just a heads up that Limerick park run is cancelled this Saturday 5th March due to a conflicting event in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

If you still need your parkrun fix, Clairsford parkrun Killaloe, 20 minutes out the road, four and a half laps in the park.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

and just in case people are googling for a map, it's Clarisford, not Clairsford

What do people think of the route of the Limerick park run?

I know it's a free event and not a race so I have no right to be complaining about the route. However, I do think it's a very poor route and will put people of attending in future. The paths are very narrow and there are numerous gates which people can only go through in single file. As there are four loops this means being stuck behind walkers for most of the run which seriously slows you down.
    My brother was out there last week and said he wouldn't go back to Limerick park run as most of the run is spent waiting behind walkers or trying to bypass them. I've done the Limerick Park run a couple of times now and haven't enjoyed it as much as the parkruns in Dublin because of the poor route. Just wondering what others thoughts on it are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

panda100 wrote: »
    What do people think of the route of the Limerick park run?

I know it's a free event and not a race so I have no right to be complaining about the route. However, I do think it's a very poor route and will put people of attending in future. The paths are very narrow and there are numerous gates which people can only go through in single file. As there are four loops this means being stuck behind walkers for most of the run which seriously slows you down.
    My brother was out there last week and said he wouldn't go back to Limerick park run as most of the run is spent waiting behind walkers or trying to bypass them. I've done the Limerick Park run a couple of times now and haven't enjoyed it as much as the parkruns in Dublin because of the poor route. Just wondering what others thoughts on it are?

Anyone been to this lately? Does the above feedback still apply?

I was going to try it Saturday morning for the first time but might try somewhere else if the Limerick one is only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

keane2097 wrote: »

I was going to try it Saturday morning for the first time but might try somewhere else if the Limerick one is only fair.

Depends what level you are. If you are running anything under 18:30 ish you will encounter the back runners but it is a tight route around the river back. I always enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

To be honest, that feedback was never true. It is not a fair account.

I have run Limerick Parkrun many times and the course is not a problem. I have never been stuck behind walkers. Usually, by lap 4, I catch up with the walkers but there is plenty of space for everybody.

looking at the records, 169 different people have gone sub 20 on at least one occasion. so it's quite possible to run a decent time if you have the fitness.

If the OP's time was slower than they might have hoped for, blaming the course is a bit of a weak response. plenty of people can run a fast time there and they do it every week, the course is fine, so head out there and give it a go.

I'll more than likely be carpooling out, is it ok to get parking out there or is there somewhere near by I can leave the car and jog over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

It can be a little tight depending on where you catch up with slower participants. That is balanced out by the nice route through the woods and by the river.
    The mungret park run route is faster if you wanted to give that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭carbonceiling

I'll more than likely be carpooling out, is it ok to get parking out there or is there somewhere near by I can leave the car and jog over?

there is a free carpark about two minutes from the start line, plenty of spaces available. take a left at the concert hall roundabout and there will be a sign directing you to the carpark. nearly every other car in UL at that time will be heading there so you could just follow the crowd!

Thanks for the advice folks, I hope to give it a go this Saturday then. Just to avoid giving a false impression I'm more likely to be delaying people than being delayed by them!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've done 51 parkruns, and 50 of those were at UL. The course is a little more challenging than it looks, but nothing extreme, and the crowd are always lovely to deal with. Loads of parking on the way down towards the boat club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

It can be a little tight depending on where you catch up with slower participants. That is balanced out by the nice route through the woods and by the river.
    The mungret park run route is faster if you wanted to give that a go.

Is the parking still tight out in Mungret? UL doesn't have that issue in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

topper75 wrote: »
    Is the parking still tight out in Mungret? UL doesn't have that issue in fairness.

I tend to cycle there so wouldn’t be sure. Less parking space than UL alright

• Advertisement
Advertisement