Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ship from Sierra Leone docked in Dublin last week, 26 crew cleared.

• 12-10-2014 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

What are we to make of this? I am aware that our leaders remind us that there are no direct flights from the west african nations involved and Ireland but what about sea transport? Apparently these sailors were tested and cleared but as it takes up to 3 weeks for symtoms to manifest was it not a really careless act to let them off their ship and into Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Totally.

AAACHOOOO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

26 people, ummm sounds like a football squad. Are you sure it wasn't the Gibraltar national team as they played like they all had Ebola the other night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

youtube! wrote: »
    I am aware that our leaders remind us that there are no direct flights from the west african nations

Leaders? Did Mrs Merkel actually confirm this to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

What are we to make of this? I am aware that our leaders remind us that there are no direct flights from the west african nations involved and Ireland but what about sea transport? Apparently these sailors were tested and cleared but as it takes up to 3 weeks for symtoms to manifest was it not a really careless act to let them off their ship and into Dublin?

I assume it takes a few weeks to sail from Africa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Apparently SARS was much more to worry about, but I'm just more at odds as to why our country literally made all kinds of precautions with foot and mouth (something that couldn't technically be passed to humans) in the early 2000 s.

In short, I dont think we're taking Ebola seriously enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Apparently SARS was much more to worry about, but I'm just more at odds as to why our country literally made all kinds of precautions with foot and mouth (something that couldn't technically be passed to humans) in the early 2000 s.

If the spelled it "iBola" and focussed on the "you die if you get it" bit, maybe people would take an interest. They're marketing it very badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The Foot and Mouth precautions had nothing to do with protecting humans. It was to protect the economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

stimpson wrote: »

That's actually a very good point, you have put my mind at ease good Sir :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Actually, humans can get foot an mouth, although it is much less serious for us than quadrupeds. And as said, it was about animal health and economics, not human health as such.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

I knew it would be only a matter of time before the government would invite people in from Sierra Leone. This is what I wrote the night before last in the budget 2015.
    Yep, the government would probably welcome Ebola to come into Ireland and spread, to cut the budget deficit. Have a load of people dying of the disease to reduce the numbers on social welfare and have some new job positions open up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:confused:
    it's killed only 4000 people, mostly from countries that barely function. How much has the flu killed this year alone?

It's blown out of all proportion IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Victor wrote: »
    Actually, humans can get foot an mouth, although it is much less serious for us than quadrupeds. And as said, it was about animal health and economics, not human health as such.

Is that because we only have 2 feet or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I dont think the people on that ship were examined/tested and really they should have been. all it takes is for us to let our guard down once. so lets not do that. proactive over reactive. every single time.

There is an onus on the Irish authorities to do everything in their power to prevent what is rapidly becominga global crisis coming here. Yet the crew members of a ship which left Freetown, Sierra Leone’s capital, a week ago, disembarked and mingled freely with the public, and God knows what else, when they arrived in Dublin without being tested medically. That’s alarming.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/ourview/pebola-epidemic--a-global-crisisp-291045.html?

WakeUp wrote: »
    I dont think the people on that ship were examined/tested and really they should have been. all it takes is for us to let our guard down once. so lets not do that. proactive over reactive. every single time.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/ourview/pebola-epidemic--a-global-crisisp-291045.html
    There is an onus on the Irish authorities to do everything in their power to prevent what is rapidly becominga global crisis coming here. Yet the crew members of a ship which left Freetown, Sierra Leone’s capital, a week ago, disembarked and mingled freely with the public, and God knows what else, when they arrived in Dublin without being tested medically. That’s alarming.
    Are they suggesting sheep bothering or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Six days from Sierra Leone, according to reports.

The officers and crew are probably fine. The stowaways, otoh... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

banging hookers maybe. I honestly dont know its a bit of an open statement isnt it. maybe that or the sheep:D what do lads that have been too sea for a while get up to when they make land. no pun intended.

Bono's sheep are not in the Green at present - they are safe and secure offshore. Did anyone read/hear that his chickens, otoh, are coming home to roost / poop / be cooked? Bird flew? swidt :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

:confused:
    it's killed only 4000 people, mostly from countries that barely function. How much has the flu killed this year alone?

It's blown out of all proportion IMO

Ebola was only recognised as a epidemic in March of this year. There are another 3 months to go before the end of the year.

The disease has spread much faster than any other prior Ebola outbreak.

The fact that the disease is affecting record numbers of people in countries with poor infrastructure is even more worrying than if the epidemic had started say for example somewhere in the developed world as effectively the outbreaks have allowed a critical mass of infection to spread to other areas outside that region.

The point made about 'the flu' killing people is absolutely moot. Ebola does not negate the flu or any other disease. The flu is not going to disappear just because of the Ebola epidemic.

The exponential rise of the infection rate over previous Ebola epidemics does give significant cause for concern.

The high rate of apparent infection of medical staff also gives cause for concern.

As a starting point I would recommend an account of another plague that had devastating consequences and like Ebola started with a small number of cases and went on to kill an estimated 30–60% of Europe's total population. That epidemic was called the Black Death and it too arrived via ship.

Not saying that Ebola is the same just that there needs to be some appreciation of the significant potential of such a deadly pathogen and how it can spread

Did someone say 'tactical nuke' yet?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    It would be much cheaper and more effective to send medical staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Esel wrote: »
    I think that's a bit much. After all Dublin is the capital city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

biko wrote: »
    I think that's a bit much. After all Dublin is the capital city.

The Northside he meant. Duh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

If there is an Irish outbreak then we are fcuked.

Our HSA cannot even run an A+E properly. The Gov are living like those in the pre french revolution era, they have no idea what is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Would you say it's time to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Would you say it's time to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Yes I would Kent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Apparently these sailors were tested and cleared

Sharon Curley is delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

No. If they've been tested and cleared, what else would you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The amount of people that thanked this is worrying. :pac:

Ah no after initially thanking you for putting my mind at ease it now transpires that it takes just ONE WEEK , those sailors were cleared to mingle with the Irish public and they did so for 2 days, now considering symptoms don't show up for up to 3 weeks again I ask who the fcuk gave clearance to people who may well have come into contact in freetown only ONE WEEK previously?? I hope we have dodged the bullet but we cannot let this happen again!

• Advertisement

No. If they've been tested and cleared, what else would you suggest?

How could they possibly have been properly cleared when it takes 3 weeks and they sailed one week previously?? What genius gave the clearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fare thee well my lovely Dinah, A thousand times adieu...

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jillymayr

OP, they shouldnt have been let off just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

live feed from dublin port

out of curiousity, I googled the International Shipping Chamber guidelines for Ebola Outreaks

The ICS (International Chamber of Shipping), IMEC (International Maritime Employers’ Council), and the ITF (International Transport Workers’ Federation) urgently advise that on all such vessels:

1. The Master should ensure that the crew are aware of the risks, how the virus can be spread and how to reduce the risk.

2. The ISPS requirements on ensuring that unauthorised personnel do not board the vessel should be strictly enforced throughout the duration of the vessel being in port.

3. The Master should give careful consideration to granting any shore leave whilst in impacted ports.

4. The shipowner/operator should avoid making crew changes in the ports of an affected country.

5. After departure the crew should be aware of the symptoms and report any occurring symptoms immediately to the person in charge of medical care.

A spokesperson for the three organisations said: “Everyone is deeply concerned for those suffering from the Ebola epidemic and supportive of a coordinated world response to help them.

We particularly applaud all those medical staff who are risking their lives to help.

In the meantime we want to make sure that those in the world shipping industry play our part in ensuring the safety of crews visiting the affected countries, and minimising the risk of the virus spreading further.”

so now yiz know :p

Jake1 wrote: »
    out of curiousity, I googled the International Shipping Chamber guidelines for Ebola Outreaks

The ICS (International Chamber of Shipping), IMEC (International Maritime Employers’ Council), and the ITF (International Transport Workers’ Federation) urgently advise that on all such vessels:

1. The Master should ensure that the crew are aware of the risks, how the virus can be spread and how to reduce the risk.

2. The ISPS requirements on ensuring that unauthorised personnel do not board the vessel should be strictly enforced throughout the duration of the vessel being in port.

3. The Master should give careful consideration to granting any shore leave whilst in impacted ports.

4. The shipowner/operator should avoid making crew changes in the ports of an affected country.

5. After departure the crew should be aware of the symptoms and report any occurring symptoms immediately to the person in charge of medical care.

A spokesperson for the three organisations said: “Everyone is deeply concerned for those suffering from the Ebola epidemic and supportive of a coordinated world response to help them.

We particularly applaud all those medical staff who are risking their lives to help.

In the meantime we want to make sure that those in the world shipping industry play our part in ensuring the safety of crews visiting the affected countries, and minimising the risk of the virus spreading further.”

so now yiz know :p

Good research but it seems like nothing more than lip service to me, fact is sailors from freetown were in Dublin for 2 days doing god knows what with god knows who, I am not saying they were infected but as they had no medical checks whatsoever it is very worrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Good research but it seems like nothing more than lip service to me, fact is sailors from freetown were in Dublin for 2 days doing god knows what with god knows who, I am not saying they were infected but as they had no medical checks whatsoever it is very worrying.

The majority of people in west Africa don't have ebola so I'm sure it will be fine. Medical checks are no use if the person is in the incubation period or doesn't have a fever. They aren't going to stop travel from affected areas any time soon. The only reason I could see that happening is if millions were infected and by then it would probably have spread everywhere anyway. If you really are worried, all you can do is take extra precautions with your own hygiene. Wash your hands more frequently and try to avoid touching your face before you have washed them when out in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

According to a mate of mine who works down at the port, the cargo is chilled monkey brains and it's a regular shipment to the Michelin star restaurants in town!

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    The majority of people in west Africa don't have ebola so I'm sure it will be fine. Medical checks are no use if the person is in the incubation period or doesn't have a fever. They aren't going to stop travel from affected areas any time soon. The only reason I could see that happening is if millions were infected and by then it would probably have spread everywhere anyway. If you really are worried, all you can do is take extra precautions with your own hygiene. Wash your hands more frequently and try to avoid touching your face before you have washed them when out in public.

Oh I agree that the chances are low that the sailors were infected but the point I am trying to make is that there is still a chance however small that they could have been , and this ship should never have been let on to our docks until they have contained the outbreak, 3 weeks is a dangerous incubation period for anyone to be taking chances with.

Advertisement