Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cinema Patrick’s St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

jayboi wrote: »
    I always thought the biggest problem between the new and old cinemas besides the ease of parking at the new cinema was the seating, in odeon each row is considerably lower/higher then the other where as in the omniplex it ony had a gradual slope. The magic road up the comraghs seemed to have more of an incline.

If it's reopening I think they need to offer more for less if they are to surrive. Better viewing angles, better seating ie all premium seating and cheaper food and drink.

Id say they definately did their research especially if they are going to be competing with another cinema, they will have to be one step ahead of odeon while they have the opportunity to do so like the seperate ticket desk for example. And the slopes of the rows of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Id say they definately did their research especially if they are going to be competing with another cinema, they will have to be one step ahead of odeon while they have the opportunity to do so like the seperate ticket desk for example. And the slopes of the rows of seats.
    If the slope isn't improved its doomed from the get go.

If I remember the old place correct best place to park was behind it which wasn't the nicest/safest place to be walking at night and then you had to walk through that little alleyway to Patrick street that always had a few dodgy characters hanging around.

jayboi wrote: »
    If the slope isn't improved its doomed from the get go.

If I remember the old place correct best place to park was behind it which wasn't the nicest/safest place to be walking at night and then you had to walk through that little alleyway to Patrick street that always had a few dodgy characters hanging around.

Yeah parking was always a problem, then again, they could try set up a deal with qpark on the quay, discounted parking or such...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Parking shouldn't really be a problem its really just down to people being lazy and wanting to park right next to the entrance, within a 5 minutes walk of patricks street you have ballybricken,the quay,city square,and also the new car park beside the city arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

What prices do ye feel a ticket to the cinema should be? In my opinion 5 or 6 euro is plenty for a ticket to see a flim. 9.80 in odeon is some joke. I think they are doing themselves more harm with that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

deadybai wrote: »
    What prices do ye feel a ticket to the cinema should be? In my opinion 5 or 6 euro is plenty for a ticket to see a flim. 9.80 in odeon is some joke. I think they are doing themselves more harm with that price

i paid about 14€ in dublin recently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

doesn't seem too bad I remember paying £5 in the old cinema so in euro 7.82? (if memory serves). I think about 10 for a ticket is ok, considering cinemas are a lot better and more comfortable then they used to be. i.e I can see an increase in the quality of the service I get for the increased price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Couldn't see the new old cinema being cheaper than €8.00 or €8.50 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Simply having a modern fit out will already put them at an advantage over Odeon... Lets not forget that one of the main reasons why Storm were able to put the final nail in the life of the Cineplex was because that cinema was a kip and falling apart. People were beginning to abandon it to do other things with their time long before Storm were looking at entering the market.

The city centre is almost by definition a much better location for a cinema and it should extend the time people stay in the city, hopefully spending more money in shops, cafes and bars in the immediate surroundings.

Considering Odeon can pull off 5 euro wednesday tickets, just goes to show how much profit is usually made and then odeons snacks, sweets and popcorn, well, that just them being very greedy because they have little competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Parking shouldn't really be a problem its really just down to people being lazy and wanting to park right next to the entrance, within a 5 minutes walk of patricks street you have ballybricken,the quay,city square,and also the new car park beside the city arms.

Thats people for you, people with elderly parnets who may have walking difficulties sure they don't matter. People who have many types of arthritis, othe health problems and have problems with hills fcuk them, even though there are loads of people who fall into this category; sure our town is only for the perfect, unlazy, eco friendly types - and thats why its on its knees but once it can limp along, thats all that matters.

We should learn our lesson from Next city centres shop which closed as oppossed to Next Ardkeen shop which is booming.

Thats people for you, people with elderly parnets who may have walking difficulties sure they don't matter. People who have many types of arthritis, othe health problems and have problems with hills fcuk them, even though there are loads of people who fall into this category; sure our town is only for the perfect, unlazy, eco friendly types - and thats why its on its knees but once it can limp along, thats all that matters.

We should learn our lesson from Next city centres shop which closed as oppossed to Next Ardkeen shop which is booming.

Ive no idea why you went off on one but ill reply anyway,simple solution to the problem is whoever is driving their parents and assuming they also dont have walking difficulties just park at the back of the cinema drop the parents off and return to park the car in another spot,are you suggesting im eco friendly or just all Waterford folk?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The main advantage of having a cinema in town, as I see it, is that right now there's a distinct lack of that type of family friendly entertainment in the city centre. Another point is that sometimes people can be strolling around town and suddenly decide to kill a few hours with a film. With the odeon where it is you will have probably made your decision to go well in advance.

If you have walking difficulties then you should get dropped off outside the cinema, you can drive past it so dropping off is no problem. You can be collected then afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Me and my friends never pay more then €5 euro a ticket when we see a film ..... your just doing it wrong paying full prices. At the moment to the end of the month you get 40% from Odeon by getting a code form there site witch you can use inside or when you book your tickets online.

If people are not happy paying the cost of popcorn and drinks in odeon go across the road to some magic place called Tesco. But having said that one of my friends got a large coke the other day and we where in shock with how small it was and every time we go where thinking the popcorn and drinks are getting smaller.

Odeon is probably one of the easiest places to get in waterford and there is 2 carparks right next to it.

Also i have been to plenty of films in Odeon in witch there was maybe 20 people and some times if you see something thats not a major film you could be the only people in the screen. There main days are Saturday night and wednesday night it any other day can be very quite in there.

But has anyone conformed that the old place is reopening ?. But if its getting the OmniplexMAXX screen is there room for it in there ?. As down in cork to had to build on to there largest screen to make it fit

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭waterford mma

Great news, will be a nice boost to the surrounding businesses. I remember going to Rellises or Bescos for cinema food and then to supermacs afterwards. Now it's only Tescos getting a cut of my cinema budget.

Me and my friends never pay more then €5 euro a ticket when we see a film ..... your just doing it wrong paying full prices. At the moment to the end of the month you get 40% from Odeon by getting a code form there site witch you can use inside or when you book your tickets online.

If people are not happy paying the cost of popcorn and drinks in odeon go across the road to some magic place called Tesco. But having said that one of my friends got a large coke the other day and we where in shock with how small it was and every time we go where thinking the popcorn and drinks are getting smaller.

Odeon is probably one of the easiest places to get in waterford and there is 2 carparks right next to it.

Also i have been to plenty of films in Odeon in witch there was maybe 20 people and some times if you see something thats not a major film you could be the only people in the screen. There main days are Saturday night and wednesday night it any other day can be very quite in there.

But has anyone conformed that the old place is reopening ?. But if its getting the OmniplexMAXX screen is there room for it in there ?. As down in cork to had to build on to there largest screen to make it fit

Once again, the old cinema was right in the center of town, thats like saying pennys and argos and such are hard to get to.

Odeons Wednesday deal is good, but because of it the place is always jam packed.

Unfortunately the popcorn you get in tesco, pre packed tastes nothing like proper cinema popcorn, then again odeon's always tastes too dry as if its been sitting there for hours.

Better off getting a large popcorn and a big bottle of coke from xtra vision and bringing it, their popcorn is savage and only 3 euro for a large, add on the drink and it would be around a fiver at most, half the price of odeons and twice as nice and you get a fairly large bottle of coke, more than you get in a "large cup" from odeon.

Then again, there has been no confirmation if the place is reopening, but based on the inside of the place at the moment, all new cabinets look to be in place where the old ones were (the snacks and popcorn counters).

I remember screen one being fairly big in the old cinema, they might even combine screen one and two together and build on if they do introduce the OmniplexMAXX screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Once again, the old cinema was right in the center of town, thats like saying pennys and argos and such are hard to get to.

Odeons Wednesday deal is good, but because of it the place is always jam packed.

Unfortunately the popcorn you get in tesco, pre packed tastes nothing like proper cinema popcorn, then again odeon's always tastes too dry as if its been sitting there for hours.

Better off getting a large popcorn and a big bottle of coke from xtra vision and bringing it, their popcorn is savage and only 3 euro for a large, add on the drink and it would be around a fiver at most, half the price of odeons and twice as nice and you get a fairly large bottle of coke, more than you get in a "large cup" from odeon.

Then again, there has been no confirmation if the place is reopening, but based on the inside of the place at the moment, all new cabinets look to be in place where the old ones were (the snacks and popcorn counters).

I remember screen one being fairly big in the old cinema, they might even combine screen one and two together and build on if they do introduce the OmniplexMAXX screen.

I think screen 1 and 4 were upstairs on opposite sides of the buildings and screens 2, 3 and 5 downstairs.
    1 was a decent size alright, very little between 2,3 and 4.
    5 was very small, it was the one facing Patrick street.
    The ones they could probably combine are numbers 2 and 3 but I don't think they'd have enough depth for the MAXX screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

But parking at night time is a lot harder at that end of the town compare to down at Odeon. Pennys and argos are day time stores so plenty of parking around for it during the day with the multistorys open.

With Popcorn in Odeon its pre made and comes in huge plastic bags where they just re heat it so it would have been sitting around before you eat it.

Would help is there was more then 2 xtra visions in waterford and would also help if they where not miles away from Odeon to get your popcorn. But having said that popcorn in xtra vision is quite nice.

But it will be good having another Cinema in waterford as long as there is more films to pick from and not the same films in both i will happily go to both. But will it be a Omniplex or a IMC ? as they have completely spit up the group now.

But parking at night time is a lot harder at that end of the town compare to down at Odeon. Pennys and argos are day time stores so plenty of parking around for it during the day with the multistorys open.

With Popcorn in Odeon its pre made and comes in huge plastic bags where they just re heat it so it would have been sitting around before you eat it.

Would help is there was more then 2 xtra visions in waterford and would also help if they where not miles away from Odeon to get your popcorn. But having said that popcorn in xtra vision is quite nice.

But it will be good having another Cinema in waterford as long as there is more films to pick from and not the same films in both i will happily go to both. But will it be a Omniplex or a IMC ? as they have completely spit up the group now.

Both valid points but with ballybricken up the road and the quay 5 mins away, shouldnt be too much hassle to park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

There's a story on it re-opening in this weeks Munster.

I've just been informed by a rather irate person that the News & Star also have a story about it in this weeks paper. :pac:

Adyx wrote: »
    There's a story on it re-opening in this weeks Munster.

They were also talking about it on wlr today!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Considering Odeon can pull off 5 euro wednesday tickets, just goes to show how much profit is usually made and then odeons snacks, sweets and popcorn, well, that just them being very greedy because they have little competition.

A very very small percentage of profit is made on tickets, distributors (Disney, 20th Century Fox...) get the majority of that ticket price.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

As long as we get more of this, I'm sure we all will be happy

It was confirmed in the news & star that Ominiplex are reopening in December with a re-fit costing €2 million and i think it said it will create 20 jobs.

If this does open by December it would be great if they could do something with Winterval, didnt they have a makeshift cinema 2 years ago where the reg is now?,how great would it be for kids to go in and watch a feel good Christmas movie then walk out into town with Winterval and all the lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Seems like a lot of work to have done by December. Theyre obviously not adding any additional screens? How many did the last one have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Seems like a lot of work to have done by December. Theyre obviously not adding any additional screens? How many did the last one have?
    I think screen 1 and 4 were upstairs on opposite sides of the buildings and screens 2, 3 and 5 downstairs.
    1 was a decent size alright, very little between 2,3 and 4.
    5 was very small, it was the one facing Patrick street.
    The ones they could probably combine are numbers 2 and 3 but I don't think they'd have enough depth for the MAXX screen.

Theres not too much to do, its already built for a cinema so its just the process of gutting the place cleaning it and installing new things such as screens, lights, seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It would really be like my childhood to go see a film in town over Christmas, though admittedly my gran used to bring us in so she could have tea, cigs and a sit down while we watched a film. Obviously it was the Regina at the time!

I can honestly say I would have never guessed that this place would ever open as a cinema again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

It was closed for 6 years? Feels way longer than that. Remember getting chips in Skippers across the road, and bringing them in under the jacket :)

Advertisement