Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cinema Patrick’s St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

It has also been confirmed they will have an OmniplexMAXX screen in the new cinema!!!

oSM0Gzs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

By all accounts Clr Eddie Mulligian brought about this major development in the heart of the city.Well done Eddie and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

how much will they charge for admission..... ?
    "VOICE OF GOD" ceiling speakers!!
    how about a cinema, that shows the movies , at a REASONABLE price, and sells food and drink at REASONABLE prices .....
    thats what id prefer.... voice of god ! ha .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    how much will they charge for admission..... ?
    "VOICE OF GOD" ceiling speakers!!
    how about a cinema, that shows the movies , at a REASONABLE price, and sells food and drink at REASONABLE prices .....
    thats what id prefer.... voice of god ! ha .....

If you look at the omniplex website you will see adult tickets are 7.20 child tickets are 5.60 and student tickets are 6.70

Already better than odeons rip off prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

If you look at the omniplex website you will see adult tickets are 7.20 child tickets are 5.60 and student tickets are 6.70

I Havant paid more then 5 euros a ticket in odeon a long long time .........

You just need to know where to look ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The main problem with the old cinema was the trouble-making, noisy rabble that were allowed to do as they liked, ruining the film for everyone. Hope they don't assume that they can pick up where they left off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hopefully they'll make the frontage a bit less "post Soviet"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I stopped going to the old cinema because it was very run down and Storm was much nicer, cleaner and modern. The old cinema didn't bother replying and it just died away.

Storm seems to be heading in that direction a little! Was in Screen 3 the other week and a lot of the armrests were missing from chairs. Should be replaced and not just left there.

Two cinemas will drive competition. More then enough people to spread across the two complexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Sully wrote: »
    I stopped going to the old cinema because it was very run down and Storm was much nicer, cleaner and modern. The old cinema didn't bother replying and it just died away.

Storm seems to be heading in that direction a little! Was in Screen 3 the other week and a lot of the armrests were missing from chairs. Should be replaced and not just left there.

Two cinemas will drive competition. More then enough people to spread across the two complexes.
    and who knows odeon might actually reinstate the proper large cup instead of fobbing the medium sized cup off as large and paying the same for it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭jos22

and who knows odeon might actually reinstate the proper large cup instead of fobbing the medium sized cup off as large and paying the same for it!!!

the previous large or the large they had before the first downgrade

out of interest is the new small coke now a 150ml can ?

• Advertisement

the cork omniplex tickets are 9.10 for adults (2D standard seats) and snack are about the same as Odeon.

jos22 wrote: »
    the previous large or the large they had before the first downgrade

out of interest is the new small coke now a 150ml can ?
    the had a mega bucket and then they had the large, the mega bucket was gotten rid of first and now the large which was the medium size when those two existed, i would imagine the small would be more like the tiny bottles of cadet knowing them tight fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

the had a mega bucket and then they had the large, the mega bucket was gotten rid of first and now the large which was the medium size when those two existed, i would imagine the small would be more like the tiny bottles of cadet knowing them tight fcukers

The original large (44oz) was done away and reduced down to what was the medium at the time (32 oz). From what I'm guessing, that has been reduced down again? Also, about 2/3 years ago bags of chocolate were reduced by about one fifth in weight. That was the decision of the chocolate makers (e.g. Mars) yet the suppliers charged the same price per unit.

It's also possible that Coca Cola (the supplier) could have increased their price in the past year or so, and the cinema is adjusting accordingly. The cinemas (as a whole) could be under a bit of pressure to reduce portion sizes in regards to obesity, unlikely.. But probable.

I haven't been in McDonalds in a very long time, but I doubt you can get a 44oz drink there?

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    The original large (44oz) was done away and reduced down to what was the medium at the time (32 oz). From what I'm guessing, that has been reduced down again? Also, about 2/3 years ago bags of chocolate were reduced by about one fifth in weight. That was the decision of the chocolate makers (e.g. Mars) yet the suppliers charged the same price per unit.

It's also possible that Coca Cola (the supplier) could have increased their price in the past year or so, and the cinema is adjusting accordingly. The cinemas (as a whole) could be under a bit of pressure to reduce portion sizes in regards to obesity, unlikely.. But probable.

I haven't been in McDonalds in a very long time, but I doubt you can get a 44oz drink there?

last time that odeon/Storm did the reduction but kept the same price. someone here post an email response from them.
    they mentioned that time they found that majority of the large drinks were not being finished and being disposed of by staff so they made a decision to reduce the sizes. there was some other PR spin put on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

jos22 wrote: »
    last time that odeon/Storm did the reduction but kept the same price. someone here post an email response from them.
    they mentioned that time they found that majority of the large drinks were not being finished and being disposed of by staff so they made a decision to reduce the sizes. there was some other PR spin put on it too

Reminds me a time someone added more numbers to a lottery and tried to spin it so that you thought it was had more lucky numbers to choose from.
    it wasn't the national lottery was it?

Just a heads up they are now recruiting staff:

https://www.omniplex.ie/company/careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Was in Odeon cinemas over the weekend; they have increased their price to €10.95 to see a film' the new chairs in screen 5 uncomfortable to sit in: €10.95 is too much to charge to see a film when you can buy a film on DVD in tesco for around same price: roll on the opening of a new cinema perhaps some competition will put manners on odeon about their high price per single film.

S.O wrote: »
    Was in Odeon cinemas over the weekend; they have increased their price to €10.95 to see a film' the new chairs in screen 5 uncomfortable to sit in: €10.95 is too much to charge to see a film when you can buy a film on DVD in tesco for around same price: roll on the opening of a new cinema perhaps some competition will put manners on odeon about their high price per single film.
    they've had the run of the city for too long, roll on the competition it will put manners on em

Was in Odeon cinemas over the weekend; they have increased their price to €10.95 to see a film' the new chairs in screen 5 uncomfortable to sit in: €10.95 is too much to charge to see a film when you can buy a film on DVD in tesco for around same price:

€10.95?... I don't think there is a ticket for €10.95 (see Ticket Prices):
    http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/cinemas/waterford/205/

€10.00 is most likely the price you paid for that particular showing (unless you got premier seats or something). €10.00 is a lot, but it's just as much in the UK where I go (another large chain).

You can buy a DVD in Tesco for that price, but you can't buy the latest kids movie that the children are pestering you to bring them too. Nor can you buy the latest *insert your favourite actor/actress here* film.
    roll on the opening of a new cinema perhaps some competition will put manners on odeon about their high price per single film.
    Omniplex charges €9.10 (Adult peak time, non 3D, non premier seat ticket) according to their website, however I don't believe they charge a booking fee. Odeon do charge a booking fee, which really is nonsense in this day and age considering it's all automated. I'm guessing you will be saving about 90c per ticket on average (based on current ticket prices), but you may have a bit more of a inconvenience/cost parking in the city centre as apposed to parking at Odeon.

In my opinion there isn't enough business in Waterford for 2 cinemas (barely enough for 1). Odeon has the advantage of 8 screens, I'm assuming the Patrick St cinema will still have 6 screens. I'm quite looking forward to how Omniplex get on in the coming months and can't wait to visit when I get home for Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I paid 11.45 for a ticket over the weekend (guessing that's thd 10.95 plus 50 cent booking fee as I booked online). Apparently they now add a one euro surcharge for 'blockbuster' films. Hunger Games is one of those and think it said The Hobbit will be too. Looks like new cinema is opening just in time!

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    I paid 11.45 for a ticket over the weekend (guessing that's thd 10.95 plus 50 cent booking fee as I booked online).

That must be it so! Again, I think it's nonsense they charge for booking online.
    Apparently they now add a one euro surcharge for 'blockbuster' films. Hunger Games is one of those and think it said The Hobbit will be too. Looks like new cinema is opening just in time!

I would be very surprised if that was the case, I can't confirm that right now, so I'll continue to be suspicious. At least for the Hunger games tonight there isn't a surcharge (€10.45 for Hunger Games and the same for Fury).

I had a little free time and wondered if the ticket prices are still the same across the board, turns out they are not. They used to be the same across the board, at least 2 years ago they were. The cinemas in red are Dublin based cinemas so it would be fair to expect they are generally more expensive. I believe Portlaoise and Cavan only has one cinema (Odeon).

These ticket prices are for peak time for a non 3D non premier seat film.

Figures accessed from the Odeon site 24-11-2014
    AFH6oz8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I would be very surprised if that was the case, I can't confirm that right now, so I'll continue to be suspicious. At least for the Hunger games tonight there isn't a surcharge (€10.45 for Hunger Games and the same for Fury).

On my phone so couldn't do any proper looking but a quick Google gave me this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11239998/Booking-Hunger-Games-tickets-Odeon-cinemas-will-charge-extra.html

I still have my ticket here from the weekend showing 11.45 as the price and staff member confirmed it was a euro more for Hunger Games than others-perhaps that's only at weekends or opening weekend maybe.

On my phone so couldn't do any proper looking but a quick Google gave me this. I still have my ticket here from the weekend showing 11.45 as the price and staff member confirmed it was a euro more for Hunger Games than others-perhaps that's only at weekends or opening weekend maybe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11239998/Booking-Hunger-Games-tickets-Odeon-cinemas-will-charge-extra.html

I'm actually speechless, thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Im pretty sure I've been paying over 8 euro lately for films as student. I wish we could see the same deals some of the Uk chains do where you pay for the month and go to the cinema as many times as you want. The card doesn't help either, you'd need to spend a ridiculous amount of money to actually get anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

While i haveint payed more €5 a ticket for the past 2 years ...... And i go any day of the week expect Friday and Saturday ......

If you know anyone with a o2 number or have one yourself you can get 5 euro tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The cinema fit out company are in Patrick Street at the moment, lots of timber being loaded in!

Looking forward to it. Modern cinemas are very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Went to see Interstellar the other night and asked for 2 student tickets. Had the €16 ready in hand. Turns out an extra €1 each was needed as the film was just on 3 hours long (which it isn't). The cashier was nice enough to do a little switch and charge a teen and a child ticket for us instead, she also claimed the additional euro charge was a bit silly. Not all bad I guess.

In my opinion there isn't enough business in Waterford for 2 cinemas (barely enough for 1). Odeon has the advantage of 8 screens, I'm assuming the Patrick St cinema will still have 6 screens. I'm quite looking forward to how Omniplex get on in the coming months and can't wait to visit when I get home for Christmas :)

Omniplex will win over Odeon with their OmniplexMAXX IMAX screen. It will also have another 4 ordinary screens. I presume they knocked two screens into one large one to facilitate the IMAX screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

It's not and IMAX screen and there won't be any knocking into other screens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

While i haveint payed more €5 a ticket for the past 2 years ...... And i go any day of the week expect Friday and Saturday ......

If you know anyone with a o2 number or have one yourself you can get 5 euro tickets

you got any more info on that deal :)

Edit: found it :)

http://o2priority.ie/moments/

Advertisement