Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cinema Patrick’s St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

It's not and IMAX screen and there won't be any knocking into other screens.

Yes it is, and on their website they released a statement saying it will have 5 screens where as it used to have 6 so therefore a screen doesn't just disappear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

It's not and IMAX screen and there won't be any knocking into other screens.

The OmniplexMAXX screens are Basically smaller IMAX screens EG like in Dublin where the IMAXX screen isn't really IMAXX screen its just digital IMAXX. But Omniplex don't pay any rights to IMAX for using the name there is also isense.

But OmniplexMAXX basically means its a bigger screen, better picture i say its a 4K projector and also better sound

The OmniplexMAXX screens are Basically smaller IMAX screens EG like in Dublin where the IMAXX screen isn't really IMAXX screen its just digital IMAXX. But Omniplex don't pay any rights to IMAX for using the name there is also isense.

But OmniplexMAXX basically means its a bigger screen, better picture i say its a 4K projector and also better sound

Fair enough its the equivalent to an IMAX screen just doesnt have the rights to use the IMAX name, like Odeon's iSense screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Any word on when the cinema is opening?

deadybai wrote: »
    Any word on when the cinema is opening?

I've heard the 6th of December but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

I've heard the 6th of December but I could be wrong.

Heard that when it was getting started but could be changed as havent heard since.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Yesterday I heard it was opening on the 12 December. Just in time for the release of the new Hobbit film.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Yes it is, and on their website they released a statement saying it will have 5 screens where as it used to have 6 so therefore a screen doesn't just disappear

They said on WLR that they are not making any structural changes to the building - hence why they can open up so quickly. Knockinc two cinemas together would sound like structural changes to me. Also, the cinema always had just 5 screens I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Yes always had 5. The only ones that were side by side were numbers 2 and 3. Even if they knocked through to make it one screen there wouldn't be enough depth for decent seating views. Screen 1 was always a decent size anyway.

Oh my bad so! Been a long time since I was in there.

• Advertisement

From the look of it, there's no way it will be ready for Dec 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The owner was interviewed last week on local radio and said they were trying their best to be open for Dec 17 to coincide with the release of the final part of the Hobbit.

Someone said that they'll be opening for the hobbit, even if they just have one screen ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Omniplex in Mahon make their own Popcorn, hopefully much of the same in Waterford. None of that tasteless much they ship into Odeon in black sacks and stick under a heater

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

dzilla wrote: »
    None of that tasteless much they ship into Odeon in black sacks and stick under a heater

Odeon make all popcorn on-site (with the exception of the sealed kids meal popcorn). Freshly made popcorn has a shelf life of about 1.5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Odeon make all popcorn on-site (with the exception of the sealed kids meal popcorn). Freshly made popcorn has a shelf life of about 1.5 days.

strange then how it tastes like sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Someone said that they'll be opening for the hobbit, even if they just have one screen ready!

I passed by there Friday evening and the front door was open. The inside was gutted with wires hanging down all over the place and bare floors. Still though, there was a massive heap of boxes in the middle of floor which presumably contained the fittings or flooring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Was passing it yesterday and heard a workman say they were opening for the 12th. Had a peek inside and it was still a mess. If it does open in time, those workmen deserve a nice christmas bonus because it was still a building site.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

It will be open. The screens are done and just the foyer to finish. You would not belive how quick these guys can transform a wreck to a palace.

se conman wrote: »
    It will be open. The screens are done and just the foyer to finish. You would not belive how quick these guys can transform a wreck to a palace.

9 days is very do able for a foyer as if they have a good team doing it can be done in 3 days and then test everything and there flying it cant wait to go myself and thank god i can get €5 tickets there as well LoL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Alright first person in can they take a pic or two of the cinema set up(seats, screen etc)

Same screens, stadium seating, leather semi recliners, new foyer layout. Could have gotten photos last week.☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

So will it be open on Friday?

So will it be open on Friday?

Same or even next week for The Hobbit 3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Hobbit is out on Friday. If they miss this Friday the 12th, they may as well just wait until after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Brendan Mason

I live right across from it.

Workers are in every morning from at least 6 and frequently don't leave until well after 9pm (there must be multiple teams working shifts). I'd be very surprised if they weren't open in time for the Hobbit! The only issue might be not having enough time to sufficiently train up staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

I live right across from it.

Workers are in every morning from at least 6 and frequently don't leave until well after 9pm (there must be multiple teams working shifts). I'd be very surprised if they weren't open in time for the Hobbit! The only issue might be not having enough time to sufficiently train up staff.
    i,m sure staff are being trained up in another of there locations i.e. wexford or clonmel

Clonmel is no longer an Omniplex, but I belive training is in hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

A recent pic

• Advertisement

wellboytoo wrote: »
    A recent pic

Looks well and the seats look like there fairly comfy.

Advertisement