Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Cinema Patrick’s St

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Was in there today for The Hobbit was very impressed, just a few things though

1) not sure if its the effect of HFR, but to me some of the time the film looked like it was on fast forward, speaking was fine though.

2) no put on your 3d glasses now warning before the film

3) Not really relevant to the film but the text on the ads at the start were cut off so was some of the peoples heads, it was if the projector was slightly at the wrong angle

Having said all that thoroughly enjoyed the film and the place was spotless, weird walking up those stairs after all this time

Should put an end to this sort of carry on anyways

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

shinzon wrote: »
    2) no put on your 3d glasses now warning before the film

Whoever prepared the schedule (adverts, trailers, IFCO banner, film) just forgot to put that in, it's not a big deal, the blurry screen should be a giveaway.

I was in there yesterday to see "Unbroken" (terrible by the way). The seats are really comfortable and reminded me a little of a rocking chair. The chairs themselves although very comfortable will be ruined very quickly; it won't take a lot to rip through the material (keys, small knife, malicious teens, etc.). There is a bit more legroom in comparison to Odeon also.

I found it to be a bit cold in there however, there was hardly anyone in the cinema (4-5 people). They never turned the lights off after "cleaning" the screen from the previous showing. The screen wasn't cleaned, they might have picked up the obvious rubbish, but it was by no means clean. There was popcorn, sweet wrappers on the floor and in the cupholders.

The price of food appears to be about the same as Odeon. I bought a cup of pick n' mix and I paid for the cup as apposed to the weight of the cup which is kind of better in a way (Odeon used to charge by weight, I'm not sure if they still do). They don't display what drinks they offer (Coke, Fanta, Sprite...) at the fountain which is a little annoying, as I had to ask what they had.

Popcorn is average, nothing to get excited about. I got mine 'pre-bagged' from a little cabinet - which I didn't like, personally I like to see it be scooped in front of me from the popcorn warmer. They have the Mars confectionary (Maltesers) which is something Odeon don't do, they mostly stock Nestlé sweets. I kind of fancied a Ben & Jerry's ice cream but there was no staff on the scoop shop unfortunately. The guy serving me was wearing a 'beanie' hat which I didn't like at all, where popcorn is being scooped, drink or nachos are being prepared.

In the screen I was in (Screen 3) they had a rubbish bin just as you turn to go up on the steps. It's ideal for those who like to clean up their own rubbish but it's in your peripheral vision while watching the film and I found it to be a little distracting.

I booked seats online and tried to choose 2 seats which were 1 seat in from the edge (leaving 1 seat free at the edge next to the steps). The website allowed me to book those seats however they suggested I move in 1 seat closer to the edge (eliminating the free seat at the edge of the row). That's a nice little feature as they want to decrease the amount of seats that have no available space next to them for 2 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    Whoever prepared the schedule (adverts, trailers, IFCO banner, film) just forgot to put that in, it's not a big deal, the blurry screen should be a giveaway.

I was in there yesterday to see "Unbroken" (terrible by the way). The seats are really comfortable and reminded me a little of a rocking chair. The chairs themselves although very comfortable will be ruined very quickly; it won't take a lot to rip through the material (keys, small knife, malicious teens, etc.). There is a bit more legroom in comparison to Odeon also.

I found it to be a bit cold in there however, there was hardly anyone in the cinema (4-5 people). They never turned the lights off after "cleaning" the screen from the previous showing. The screen wasn't cleaned, they might have picked up the obvious rubbish, but it was by no means clean. There was popcorn, sweet wrappers on the floor and in the cupholders.

The price of food appears to be about the same as Odeon. I bought a cup of pick n' mix and I paid for the cup as apposed to the weight of the cup which is kind of better in a way (Odeon used to charge by weight, I'm not sure if they still do). They don't display what drinks they offer (Coke, Fanta, Sprite...) at the fountain which is a little annoying, as I had to ask what they had.

Popcorn is average, nothing to get excited about. I got mine 'pre-bagged' from a little cabinet - which I didn't like, personally I like to see it be scooped in front of me from the popcorn warmer. They have the Mars confectionary (Maltesers) which is something Odeon don't do, they mostly stock Nestlé sweets. I kind of fancied a Ben & Jerry's ice cream but there was no staff on the scoop shop unfortunately. The guy serving me was wearing a 'beanie' hat which I didn't like at all, where popcorn is being scooped, drink or nachos are being prepared.

In the screen I was in (Screen 3) they had a rubbish bin just as you turn to go up on the steps. It's ideal for those who like to clean up their own rubbish but it's in your peripheral vision while watching the film and I found it to be a little distracting.

I booked seats online and tried to choose 2 seats which were 1 seat in from the edge (leaving 1 seat free at the edge next to the steps). The website allowed me to book those seats however they suggested I move in 1 seat closer to the edge (eliminating the free seat at the edge of the row). That's a nice little feature as they want to decrease the amount of seats that have no available space next to them for 2 people.

Unbroken isnt terrible, if anything you're terrible - what a dick move, leaving a single seat free on the aisle side.

Cinema popcorn is the same everywhere.

Really, a rubbish bin in your peripheral vision is off-putting? What's one more inanimate object, in a room full of inanimate objects (and, during a show, people's heads bobbing and weaving).

As for the temperature, give me a cinema that's too cold over too hot any day of the week. It's winter, so I presume you had extra layers.

You sound like some craic, maybe you should consider changing your username to First World Problems... ;)

Unbroken isnt terrible, if anything you're terrible - what a dick move, leaving a single seat free on the aisle side.

The point is, it's a better designed system compared to others I've used.
    Cinema popcorn is the same everywhere.

Not true at all, there's different types (and quantities) of oil, corn, salt/butter-salt, as well as how fresh the popcorn is.
    Really, a rubbish bin in your peripheral vision is off-putting? What's one more inanimate object, in a room full of inanimate objects (and, during a show, people's heads bobbing and weaving).

Off-putting to me, obviously not to you.
    As for the temperature, give me a cinema that's too cold over too hot any day of the week. It's winter, so I presume you had extra layers.

I should be comfortable if I'm in a room for 2+ hours, it wasn't comfortable.
    You sound like some craic, maybe you should consider changing your username to First World Problems... ;)

If this is all I have to be worried about, then I must be doing well ;)

• Advertisement

The point is, it's a better designed system compared to others I've used.

Oh I know what your point was. Mine was that you're a terrible person, and I hope you get "that" guy, 20-stone captain sweatpants with the terrible personal hygiene, sitting next to you every time you do that from now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

They don't turn the lights back on at the end, even just dim, its very hard getting out of a packed screen in the pitch dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

They turned them on when I was there. The seats were comfortable, the pop corn was pop cornish, no complaints here.

longshanks wrote: »
    They turned them on when I was there. The seats were comfortable, the pop corn was pop cornish, no complaints here.

Are you sure there was the correct ratio of corn:oil:heat though... and was the bin not looking sideways at you :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are you sure there was the correct ratio of corn:oil:heat though... and was the bin not looking sideways at you :rolleyes:

Give it a rest. These silly digs are petty. If you can't debate civilly, then don't bother at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I really like it in there. Offers choice, and for me thats the main thing. Hopefully some local restaurants tag onto them and offer meal + cinema deals like the Mahon Point OmniPlex has.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Great to see a second cinema open and Omniplex say they have being hoping to reopen in the city for some time and the primary reason it's open now is a "substantial" reduction in commercial rates and improved consumer confidence.

Good to see local authorities doing something productive!

As for the comment or two about not supporting two cinemas. When towns like Wexford and Tralee (to name a few, lots more) have one cinema with 8 screens (same as ODEON) another cinema with 5 shouldn't be a problem considering more than double the population live in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Technically Waterford has three cinemas for it's population now, you're forgetting SGC Dungarvan.

I still don't think we can support two in the city. It'd be one thing of they were on other ends of the town, but they're within five minutes walk of each other and one has two car parks right next to it.

Technically Waterford has three cinemas for it's population now, you're forgetting SGC Dungarvan.

I still don't think we can support two in the city. It'd be one thing of they were on other ends of the town, but they're within five minutes walk of each other and one has two car parks right next to it.

Good ol' SGC!

I don't believe at all there is enough to support two cinemas. I think Omniplex has a "bargain Tuesday" and Odeon a "bargain Wednesday" (or vice versa), which is pretty handy for the student trade (or if you want to see 2 films per week for less than €11).

I think Odeon will take the Saturday/Sunday morning kids film trade (cheaper + easier parking), and Omniplex take a higher adult Saturday/Sunday trade compared to Odeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just looked online and seen that in odeon the prices for two adults for taken tonight are 17.40 and in omniplex it's 22.20. That's hardly correct is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just looked online and seen that in odeon the prices for two adults for taken tonight are 17.40 and in omniplex it's 22.20. That's hardly correct is it?

The Omniplex is the Maxx better screen and that costs extra to see. You can get 10% discount by reg your email with them.

Odeon sounds about right for tonight

The Omniplex is the Maxx better screen and that costs extra to see. You can get 10% discount by reg your email with them.

Odeon sounds about right for tonight

Last time I was in odeon it was 9.95 for an adult..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Last time I was in odeon it was 9.95 for an adult..??

It gone down big time on prices. Its €6 euro any time and day of the week now for a student witch is a bargain

No harm. FYI these are online prices I don't know if that makes a difference

It gone down big time on prices. Its €6 euro any time and day of the week now for a student witch is a bargain

All these prices are for a peak time non 3D, non premier seat ticket and not including online booking fee.

Edit - This is Odeon Waterford's prices (sorry).
    3gcWVph.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Went to Odeon the other night. €4.50 for a ticket on a Wednesday now. 9.50 for medium popcorn, coke and the ticket. Fairly decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

so the cinema on the hill is turning out to be more expensive.

so the cinema on the hill is turning out to be more expensive.

The fact that they've cut their prices so much just goes to show the level of gouging they were engaging in while they had a monopoly.

Personally, unless the weather is cat and I want to be guaranteed parking close by, I'll be going to omniplex every time, on principle.

The fact that they've cut their prices so much just goes to show the level of gouging they were engaging in while they had a monopoly.

This is evident from a post I made about 2 pages ago, Odeon prices appear to be higher where there is only one cinema in that county compared to those with more than one.

This is evident from a post I made about 2 pages ago, Odeon prices appear to be higher where there is only one cinema in that county compared to those with more than one.

Can't blame them really. I'll go to omniplex next but after that I'll just go where's cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

will be supporting omniplex from now on regardless, odeon clearly have been ripping everyone off for too long and this is out of principle also as another poster stated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Went to see Birdmen there last week and I have to say the seats were great, really comfortable.

The only minus point was I thought the quantity of popcorn given in a medium size was pretty stingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Competition is great though. Omniplex do fiver Tuesdays and Odeon do fiver Wednesdays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I much prefer Omniplex but dang they are just being mean, Odeon's deals are just too hard to turn down at the moment.

Odeon:
    • 2 Tickets for €10 on weekends
    • €5 tickets with o2 priority moments
    • €4.50 tickets on Wednesdays
    • Movie times much better

Omniplex:
    • €5 Tuesdays
    • Movie times are insane, older films have better times than recently release ones
    • €11.10 it cost me for an adult ticket into Maxx, rip off.

Honestly Omniplex need to do deals, they are new and Odeon are tearing them apart with better deals. Theres a reason its quiet. Hopefully they will do something as it's a much better cinema.

Advertisement