Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats jumping up on counters

• 12-10-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have two kittens who are about 5 months old and have recently gotten big enough to jump up onto the counters. I have tried loudly saying NO or clapping every time they do it but they just stare at me :P I have also tried a couple of other things I have read online like putting tinfoil on the edge of the counters as they don't like the noise but this hasn't worked either.

They don't do it as much when I'm in the room but usually when I come home from work they are up on the counters or in the sink and have knocked everything down onto the ground! Is there anything I can do or is it something I have to live with?! And keeping them in another room while i'm out isn't an option they have the run of the main room which is the sitting room/kitchen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

These are quite popular and can be got on Amazon. The key is consistency and you won't always be in the room when they jump on the work tops. It's called SSScat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5gx6Bw7v0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

As Pumpkinseeds mentioned, I also think SSSCat is the only thing that might work. You will also need to try to make your counter tops less interesting for the cats, don't keep any food or anything else they may find interesting on there.

Having said that, none of this worked for me. I've tried tin foil, double sided tape, SSSCat, spray bottle.. she still goes on my kitchen counters. I don't keep much on the counters anymore though and give it a wipe before I prepare food, it doesn't really bother me anymore now. It used to drive me crazy that she kept going there, but at some point I just had to accept that I wasn't going to be able to keep her off them and deal with it.

Good luck anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

miezekatze wrote: »
    As Pumpkinseeds mentioned, I also think SSSCat is the only thing that might work. You will also need to try to make your counter tops less interesting for the cats, don't keep any food or anything else they may find interesting on there.

Having said that, none of this worked for me. I've tried tin foil, double sided tape, SSSCat, spray bottle.. she still goes on my kitchen counters. I don't keep much on the counters anymore though and give it a wipe before I prepare food, it doesn't really bother me anymore now. It used to drive me crazy that she kept going there, but at some point I just had to accept that I wasn't going to be able to keep her off them and deal with it.

Good luck anyway!

same here. I go through 1 spray bottle of disinfectant a week..with 8 or 9 inside at any time that's normal...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

With cats you have to consider their need for vertical space as well as floor space. It's natural for them to want to be on elevated spots - they feel more safe there and it allows them to monitor their environment. Maybe providing a cat tree or two will give them less reason to walk on the worktops but there is a certain amount of having to live with it, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Having had cats all my life I have never been successful in keeping them off the kitchen counters. They are very good at keepng off when I'm there but things are different when I'm out. I've come home to find them asleep wherever they feel comfortable - on the microwave, on a teatowel left on the counter and even asleep in the sink.

I always prepare food on a board and just try to keep the counter as clean as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My cats didn't jump on the worktops. Not when I was there, anyway. And they knew better than to try if I was about! :D

Didn't really worry about it as they got older, as they couldn't, poor things.

Bit of an aside. My old girl couldn't make the stairs any more, bless her. So she stayed downstairs, but used to use the bottom step as a scratch pad. The boy could make the stairs, and used to scratch the top step. Cats could never figure out how I knew which cat to yell at when I found bits of carpet at either end of the stairs! :D

Advertisement