Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preventing lumbar flexion when squatting

Options
  • 12-10-2014 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Have decided to push myself to the limit and do the Smolov Squat routine, mostly to increase my squat (obviously), but also to see how my body reacts to 13 weeks of torture :pac:.

I am only at the 2nd week of the microcycle and have been recording my progress. Looking back at the videos I have noticed at the bottom of the movement there is slight lumbar flexion (or but wink as the yanks call it). Now, ordinarily, this would not bother me with normal squat routines, but with smolov I'll be squatting 4 times weekly with increasing weight. I believe with this amount of squatting I may be setting myself up for back injury unless I can prevent it. If I squat to parallel, it's ok, but below that it starts to show.

I have read conflicting reports on what causes it, tight hams etc but I know I do not have tight hams. So my question is, to those that know, what can I do to stop it (apart from not going below parallel), or do you think it won't be an issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Wailin wrote: »
    Have decided to push myself to the limit and do the Smolov Squat routine, mostly to increase my squat (obviously), but also to see how my body reacts to 13 weeks of torture :pac:.

I am only at the 2nd week of the microcycle and have been recording my progress. Looking back at the videos I have noticed at the bottom of the movement there is slight lumbar flexion (or but wink as the yanks call it). Now, ordinarily, this would not bother me with normal squat routines, but with smolov I'll be squatting 4 times weekly with increasing weight. I believe with this amount of squatting I may be setting myself up for back injury unless I can prevent it. If I squat to parallel, it's ok, but below that it starts to show.

I have read conflicting reports on what causes it, tight hams etc but I know I do not have tight hams. So my question is, to those that know, what can I do to stop it (apart from not going below parallel), or do you think it won't be an issue?
    Buttwink is not the great satan some people would have you believe it is

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

JayRoc wrote: »

Lumbar flexion with a heavy weight involved regularly isn't good for your back in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

JayRoc wrote: »

Maybe not, but with such high volume four times a week it will take it's toll on the lower back, I believe anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Don't do smolov until you can squat perfectly.

Hanley wrote: »
    Don't do smolov until you can squat perfectly.

Yep, know that. Think my squat is as good as I'm gonna get, although I may be corrected.

From last night warming up to working weight on the microcycle (forgot to record the actual working weight). Advice appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjANLzMJMl4&list=UUj2q-xNrbuQi5_gVQ1_aPNQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

From last night warming up to working weight on the microcycle (forgot to record the actual working weight). Advice appreciated.

Safety bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Yep, know that. Think my squat is as good as I'm gonna get, although I may be corrected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjANLzMJMl4&list=UUj2q-xNrbuQi5_gVQ1_aPNQ

I think you're squat is grand tbh. I'd barely call that a buttwink. There's is a tiny amount of tucking but nothing too serious at all.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Safety bars.

Not the type of advice I was looking for :D!

The bars are used on heavy lifts, but they are not great really.

DylanJM wrote: »
    I think you're squat is grand tbh. I'd barely call that a buttwink. There's is a tiny amount of tucking but nothing too serious at all.

This was the 2nd warm up set. On the first it was more pronounced so I made a conscious effort to stop tucking in my hip and sticking my butt out. The reason I ask is that after a hard squat session I sometimes feel a little delicate in the lumbar region and was thinking the lumbar flexion, although small, might be the cause.

Thanks for the input.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Elevate your heels 1 inch. See if that makes a difference.

But really, it's not something I'd be bothered worrying about having seen that vid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

This was the 2nd warm up set. On the first it was more pronounced so I made a conscious effort to stop tucking in my hip and sticking my butt out. The reason I ask is that after a hard squat session I sometimes feel a little delicate in the lumbar region and was thinking the lumbar flexion, although small, might be the cause.

Thanks for the input.

If you feel something isnt right then dont ignore it and continue with smolov . My back exploded six months ago and it was not a fun time I can assure you. Still sh1tting myself to do any heavy pulls.

Advertisement