Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb in rented accommodation

Options
  • 12-10-2014 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm interested in renting quite a nice apartment and putting one of the other rooms on airbnb. I'm trying to find info on whether or not this is an option as a tenant...!

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Most periodic/short term tenancies will say that it cant be sublet without permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Plus most apartment developments have in their leases that short term lets are prohibited so your landlord would also be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If you are wanting some income, but not a permanent flatmate getting in your way all week (like I did when I moved back into rented accommodation) you should consider a Monday to Friday let

I'd be very nervous trying to run an airbnb arrangement on the sly, without anyone finding out

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

If you are wanting some income, but not a permanent flatmate getting in your way all week (like I did when I moved back into rented accommodation) you should consider a Monday to Friday let

I'd be very nervous trying to run an airbnb arrangement on the sly, without anyone finding out

How is everyone else doing this?!! I really don't believe that everyone on airbnb is a home owner...!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

justback83 wrote: »
    How is everyone else doing this?!! I really don't believe that everyone on airbnb is a home owner...!

Most of them aren't but that's the game. Lots of guys live rent free if they have the right apartment in the right city.

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on your LL. I would regularly visit my place, and would be pissed off if it was obvious that airbnb, or similar short term sublets were bring done. I'd terminate the tenancy.

But if your LL is overseas or you never see them, then maybe you'd get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I guess it depends on your LL. I would regularly visit my place, and would be pissed off if it was obvious that airbnb, or similar short term sublets were bring done. I'd terminate the tenancy.

But if your LL is overseas or you never see them, then maybe you'd get away with it.

I'm not really interested in "getting away" with anything. I'd only go ahead if it was lawful...I'd be interested if anyone had ever had a conversation with a landlord and got the go-ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

A LL would need pretty specific insurance to cover this. Most standard LL insurance would prohibit such commercial activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I do couchsurfing... www.couchsurfing.com I am very active on there and have one or two people staying most of the time. I told Landlord and he is cool about it but no money changes hands on couchsurfing.

Nomis21 wrote: »
    I do couchsurfing... www.couchsurfing.com I am very active on there and have one or two people staying most of the time. I told Landlord and he is cool about it but no money changes hands on couchsurfing.

Money changing hands is what makes airbnb riskier. When couchsurfing, you are a guest in someone's home. With airbnb, you are paying for accomodation. Whilst most airbnb users will treat it similarly to couchsurfing, there are those who will view it as purely a transation, similar to staying in a hotel, and as a result show far less respect to the property. The stories of major damage being done to properties are in a minority, for sure. But, whilst I would not mind couchsurfing one bit, as a LL I have a real problem with a tenant doing airbnb in my flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Hi all,

I'm interested in renting quite a nice apartment and putting one of the other rooms on airbnb. I'm trying to find info on whether or not this is an option as a tenant...!

Any thoughts/advice?

Remember you'll be the head tenant so your responsible for all damages they cause. It's your deposit that will be lost as they won't be paying a deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's also the rental income from the Airbnb to be declared to revenue, read they are starting to look into this recently but can't remember where, which will be at your marginal tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I've done this and know many friends who are currently doing this, both with and without landlord knowledge/approval.

Zero problems to report.

Holsten wrote: »
    I've done this and know many friends who are currently doing this, both with and without landlord knowledge/approval.

Zero problems to report.

Declared to Revenue?

Oh of course....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Yeah. I'd say people doing airbnb on the lowdown are reporting all income to revenue.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    There's also the rental income from the Airbnb to be declared to revenue, read they are starting to look into this recently but can't remember where, which will be at your marginal tax rate.

percy212 wrote: »
    Yeah. I'd say people doing airbnb on the lowdown are reporting all income to revenue.

Revenue are getting better at using the internet these days...ever the most efficient and progressive branch of the civil service. And rightly so.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Revenue are getting better at using the internet these days...ever the most efficient and progressive branch of the civil service. And rightly so.
    I await to hear anyone caught out on this.

Many a people are living rent free thanks to these set ups, everyones happy.

They have better things to do than messing around on that bloody internet all day!
    athtrasna wrote: »

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

percy212 wrote: »
    They have better things to do than messing around on that bloody internet all day!

They have dedicated teams tracking down 'cash-in-hand' transactions.
    They monitor the internet- and they also go out and about.
    If you don't believe this- have a read of Revenue's section in Iris Oifigiul (you can find a copy in any public library) detailing the most recent businesses and individuals to have to settlements with them........

Also- there was a recent EU programme run- where staff get to spend periods in other member states and learn from one another. The Dutch delegation in particular have been extolling the virtues of posing as customers of various services and following the transaction upstream to see how it is dealt with at every stage. Most recently they have targeted Uber- however Airbnb is a previous interest of theirs......

If you do this- you may get away with it- however more probably, its simply a matter of time before you get caught.

It doesn't pay to play games on Revenue........

• Advertisement

Wouldn't the people staying be a licensee of the head tenant anyway so not liable for tax?

Or does that only apply to an owner occupier?

Wouldn't the people staying be a licensee of the head tenant anyway so not liable for tax?

Or does that only apply to an owner occupier?

Its either rental income- or income from running a business in the property- either of which would cash which would have to be declared to Revenue (whether or not its taxable or not- is another question- it would have to be declared in the first instance).

Mmmmm. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would it not be covered under the Revenue Rent a Room Scheme? (leaving aside the ethics of subletting for a minute).

I suppose we can look it up!

Would it not be covered under the Revenue Rent a Room Scheme? (leaving aside the ethics of subletting for a minute).

You have to declare rent-a-room income.
    It may be tax free (once the gross amount is under 10k)- but you still have to complete a tax return and declare it (ignoring the ethics of subletting etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just looked it up and short term lettings are prohibited. I suppose they could find this out from online advertising.

4.3 Business use
    The room or rooms must be used for the purposes of residential accommodation, i.e.
    the occupants are effectively using the room on a long-term basis, either on its own or
    in conjunction with other parts of the residence, as a home. The relief does not apply
    to rooms that are used for business purposes. Also, income from the provision of
    accommodation to occasional visitors for short periods would not qualify for relief as
    the visitors use the accommodation as guest accommodation rather than for residential
    purposes.
    Income from guest accommodation such as a bed and breakfast or a
    guesthouse operation is generally treated as trading income (Case 1) and not rental
    income (Case V). This type of income, even where it is under the relevant limit, does

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I am renting a room in my house with airbnb and it is helping me to pay the bills, I can't work for a disability and I am not receiving any welfare benefits.

I am renting a room in my house with airbnb and it is helping me to pay the bills, I can't work for a disability and I am not receiving any welfare benefits.
    Are you a home owner or renting?

Doing if from your own home - no problems.

Renting - Possible issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I am the owner, isn't subletting illegal? I wouldn't allow tenants subletting my place

• Advertisement

That is what this entire thread is about....

Actually as a home owner why not?

I've used AirBnB to sublet and have had zero issues at all, everyone treated the place impeccably, had a lovely stay and would recommend to others.

What does it matter to you if you're still getting your full rent at the end of the month?

Advertisement