Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suddenly very unsettled in the car ?

• 12-10-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

Just looking for an opinion. A friend and I went to the forestry outside cahir today with my two dogs for a walk. On the way Theo (english setter) who is usually brilliant in the car, he usually just lies down and goes asleep on the back seats became really agitated, he would not settle and made me stop the car on several occasion as he was trying to climb from the backseats through the space on the drivers seat to the window to get onto my lap. I eventually had to tie him in the back seats.

He has never done this before and tried to do the same thing on the way home, climbing through the drivers side and trying to get onto my lap. He has never done this before and has always been a great traveler he and my pom travel up and down to college with me every week a hour and a half car journey and he has slept for everyone of them.
    He has never had a bad experience in the car and is usually great, But I am wondering was this a once off or has something startled him ?

As I travel up and down every week to and from college I would like to be able to nip this in the bud as soon as possible as its obviously not possible for me to drive with him on my lap and when I tied him up ( using his car harness ) he still would not settle and was trying still to come into the front seats. Also as my car is very small crating him isn't much of a option.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My dog actually behaved exactly like that at one stage, normally excellent in the car then out of the blue one day started panicking to try and get up on my knee and then down on the floor and back up on my knee etc..the reason, it turned out, for her behaviour was a sore back. The vibrations and bumps in the car were causing her discomfort and agitation, so I would consider a physical cause as well as behavioural.

Advertisement