Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCAR

Options
  • 12-10-2014 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Skibereen Charity Adventure Race...Is anyone else here doing this? It looks like a bit of craic. Il be doing the 77k one. The roads sound pretty poor and apparently pedals and cleats are not advisable, which I find a bit strange.

Has anyone done it before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

I'm signed up for the 77k also. I think the reason they don't advise cleats is because there is a 250m run from the bike dismount area to the bike racks. That's the only reason I can see anyway. My first time too so I'm half in dread of it. It's a step up from the usual Sport distances I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

I'm signed up for the 77k also. I think the reason they don't advise cleats is because there is a 250m run from the bike dismount area to the bike racks. That's the only reason I can see anyway. My first time too so I'm half in dread of it. It's a step up from the usual Sport distances I do

Ah sound, sure il just take the shoes off, shoulder the bike and run the 250 :)

Yeah I'm a bit nervous myself, which is weird as I rarely get worked up about this stuff. I'm the stupid guy that clicks the longest route on a course. It should be manageable enough.....but il decide that on Saturday :)

Il be the one in the illuminous green socks, crying :)

Some of the trails looking well dodgy there, plenty of sh1t and muck around the place from the photos I've seen. All the traffic will have some job made of it by the time I'll get there.
    Handy enough numbers doing it so should be a bit of craic anyway to finish out the season for me.

I'll be the one at the back making sure nobody gets left behind

Some of the trails looking well dodgy there, plenty of sh1t and muck around the place from the photos I've seen. All the traffic will have some job made of it by the time I'll get there.
    Handy enough numbers doing it so should be a bit of craic anyway to finish out the season for me.

I'll be the one at the back making sure nobody gets left behind

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

How did ye get on in the expert race lads? I did the sport and was tough enough. Run over caim hill and a couple of hills on cycles were a bitch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

christy02 wrote: »
    How did ye get on in the expert race lads? I did the sport and was tough enough. Run over caim hill and a couple of hills on cycles were a bitch.

I suffered bigtime! It was tougher than I expected, those flipping hills really fcuked me over :)

Great event, volunteers, civil defence, lifeboat guys and organisers were fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

I suffered bigtime! It was tougher than I expected, those flipping hills really fcuked me over :)

Great event, volunteers, civil defence, lifeboat guys and organisers were fantastic!

Yeah really well organised and marshalled. Shall be doing again next year.

Bloody hills kicked my ass too. Thought the runs were handy enough though. Expert kayak was shortened which was probably safer for everyone involved.
    Very well run and organised though with loads of stewards everywhere. Think I'll be making it a regular on the calender too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Just signed up for the sport run. Looks like a great event!

Are the roads suitable for a road bike or would previous competitors recommend a hybrid?

Should be grand on a road bike, I did it with one last year and was fine. One of the roads had a bit of grass in the centre but that's only to be expected. I think there was a pretty long spin on the main road to finish up the Expert distance last year, so if the Sport final leg is the same then well worth carrying the road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Yeah a road bike is bang on.

I'm giving it a miss this year, hopefully be back next year.

Best of luck man!

Advertisement