Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing Current Account

Options
  • 12-10-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    I have a few questions about this topic. I asked via my online service desk but got some what of a generic response that didn't answer all my questions.

I don't use my current account at all and it's soon changing to a non-grad account and I will be getting charged fees. The only reason I still have a BOI account is for my credit card. So with that in mind;
    i) How can I close my current account if I am not in Ireland and cannot visit a branch in person? I understand a written letter is possible? What exactly would need to be included with that?
    ii) Can I close my account and still keep my credit card that I have with BOI?
          a) If not, do I need to close my credit card separately? If so, is it the same process as above?
          b) If I can, do/can I still keep my online account to view my credit card statements, if I close my current account?

Thanks,
    babo9

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

babo9 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I have a few questions about this topic. I asked via my online service desk but got some what of a generic response that didn't answer all my questions.

I don't use my current account at all and it's soon changing to a non-grad account and I will be getting charged fees. The only reason I still have a BOI account is for my credit card. So with that in mind;
    i) How can I close my current account if I am not in Ireland and cannot visit a branch in person? I understand a written letter is possible? What exactly would need to be included with that?
    ii) Can I close my account and still keep my credit card that I have with BOI?
          a) If not, do I need to close my credit card separately? If so, is it the same process as above?
          b) If I can, do/can I still keep my online account to view my credit card statements, if I close my current account?

Thanks,
    babo9
    Hi babo9, 

Many thanks for your post. 

We're sorry to hear that you are considering closing our account(s). 

Your current account and credit card are two separate accounts. 

If you send a signed letter to your branch with the account number/credit card number that you wish to close, your branch will help.

If you have funds left in your account please include in your letter what way you wish the funds to be transferred to you. If you would like a bank draft, please advise your branch who to make this payable to. For an electronic payment we will need banking details, i.e. IBAN and BIC, name on account and bank name and address.

Please note that if you are set up for eStatements online, before closing account, please revert back to paper statements, if you would like to receive your closing statement in the post. Also, you could download and save a copy of all your eStatements in pdf if you would like to retain these for future use. Once the current account is closed by your branch, you will not have access to Bank of Ireland 365 Online. 

You can find the contact details for your branch here

I hope this helps and please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

HI Billy,
    Thanks for the answer.
    So it sounds like if I close JUST my current account, but keep my credit card account open, I will still loose my 365online access?
    Is there any online way to check my credit card account, if I close my current?

Thanks,
    Babo9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Hi babo9, 

Thanks for coming back to  us. 

Upon closure of your current account you will no longer be able to access your 365Online to view your Credit Card Details. However, our Credit Card customer service team are open on Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, Saturdays from 8am to 6pm and on Sundays and Bank Holidays from 10am to 5pm. And can be contacted on 0818 251 251 / 00353 56 77 57747.

Their lost and stolen line is available to you 24 hours a day. 

We hope this helps and if we can assist you with anything else here, please don't hesitate to post again. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement