Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condenser Dryer in Bathroom in Old House

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I put a new condenser dryer in a 12'x12' bathroom in my self-catering farmhouse (c. 1930) in Kerry. The old dryer was vented. After the new dryer got some heavy use, I noticed the linoleum bubbling up (I suspect some of the guests did not open the window when using the dryer as requested). The bathroom is in the c. 1960 solid concrete addition, about 12" thick, and on the first floor.

When I removed the linoleum under and immediately surrounding the dyer, the floor (1/2" outdoor plywood underlayment over old pine flooring) was clearly damaged from the dampness. There was also mold on an adjacent indoor wall, about 1' up, on the drywall.

I think that I have two options:

1. keep the condenser dryer: remove linoleum under/around the dryer, repair plywood underlayment, build a 1-2" high platform, and cover with ceramic tiles; replace moldy drywall and cover new drywall with ceramic tiles maybe 1'-2' up from floor. Maybe do some caulking on nearby edges of linoleum also.

2. Install a vented dryer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭whizbang

Instruct your guests how to empty the dryer.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=83984149

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

DougB wrote: »
    I put a new condenser dryer in a 12'x12' bathroom in my self-catering farmhouse (c. 1930) in Kerry. The old dryer was vented. After the new dryer got some heavy use, I noticed the linoleum bubbling up (I suspect some of the guests did not open the window when using the dryer as requested). The bathroom is in the c. 1960 solid concrete addition, about 12" thick, and on the first floor.

When I removed the linoleum under and immediately surrounding the dyer, the floor (1/2" outdoor plywood underlayment over old pine flooring) was clearly damaged from the dampness. There was also mold on an adjacent indoor wall, about 1' up, on the drywall.

I think that I have two options:

1. keep the condenser dryer: remove linoleum under/around the dryer, repair plywood underlayment, build a 1-2" high platform, and cover with ceramic tiles; replace moldy drywall and cover new drywall with ceramic tiles maybe 1'-2' up from floor. Maybe do some caulking on nearby edges of linoleum also.

2. Install a vented dryer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

I'd go for option #2 to be honest. No mater how good a condenser dryer is it will always raise the humidity levels. If there's a hole in the wall for a vented one I'd install one. You can never rely on people to open windows etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DougB

Thanks whizbang and DublinDilbert - I take it from your comments that the higher heat and humidity in the bathroom is enough to bubble up the linoleum and cause damp/condensation underneath (the bathroom is above the kitchen but the linoleum did not bubble up until I put in the condenser dryer). I was hoping to address that in the immediate area by my option 1, but it is probably just simpler to get a vented dryer and be done with it.

Thanks for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

DougB wrote: »
    Thanks whizbang and DublinDilbert - I take it from your comments that the higher heat and humidity in the bathroom is enough to bubble up the linoleum and cause damp/condensation underneath (the bathroom is above the kitchen but the linoleum did not bubble up until I put in the condenser dryer). I was hoping to address that in the immediate area by my option 1, but it is probably just simpler to get a vented dryer and be done with it.

Thanks for your advice

I'd just always go for a vented one if I could. In saying that I have a condenser dryer at home and I never found it amazing. I'd always go for a vented unit if possible.

Advertisement