Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar/Nightclub entry US

Options
  • 13-10-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Providence, Rhode Island in the US in January of next year and staying for eight months. I'll be twenty years of age for most of my time there and I'm aware that drinking under the age of the 21 is strictly forbidden.

I'm wondering: does anyone know if I will be allowed to enter bars and/or nightclubs at all? I don't plan on drinking alcohol but I would like to experience some of the nightlife while in the US. I have heard before that some bars will allow entry if you're under 21 but you will get a stamp to forbid you from ordering alcohol at the bar, that would would be fine for me. This kind of thing probably varies from state to state but would just like some general information if anyone has it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Not likely, bars are very strict about underagers. The only place you'll get into is a concert venue, and you won't get the stamp/band to let you get alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I don't think you'll get into clubs, as they check age at the door.
    You probably will get into bars, especially if you look a bit older, as they often only ask for ID once you order alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

some bars and clubs have non-alcohol events but those are usually for under 21's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭mcw92

All depends on how you look I think.
    I was in NY last month, and it didn't seem as strict as I thought it would.

I'm 22, but am always told I look much younger.
    But I only got ID'd once while over there for 3 weeks.
    I didn't get ID'd buying drinks in shops, ordering drinks when out for dinner or even in a few bars late some nights.

All depends on who you are around with too I suppose, If its a group of 6 drunk lads, you will probably get ID'd, you and a woman just out for a few drinks, they might not care.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

http://boston.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-nightlife-spots-for-the-under-21-crowd-south-of-boston/

My guess is that they would be pretty strict in Providence given it is a "college town". That being said, you should have plenty of opportunities for socializing

• Advertisement
Advertisement