Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchaser of La Touche Hotel

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Your main point here is unclear. One of the interpretations one could put on it is that you'd like to see our sea front turned into another Bray with cheap greasy spoons and amusement arcades and all the problems that ensue!

Bray seafront is ace. Great buzz to it these days with some great places to eat and not at all snobby. I love it there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Looking at the area I think a world class spa overlooking the sea would be successful. Which I would never ever set foot in as skint :)

Or an ice rink overlooking the sea. That would bring a load of visitors to boost the local economy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Your main point here is unclear. One of the interpretations one could put on it is that you'd like to see our sea front turned into another Bray with cheap greasy spoons and amusement arcades and all the problems that ensue!

IMO, I mean somewhere Sensible Coffee shops / Restaurants in Greystones have an air of Boutique / associated prices about them not necessarily a bad thing but would like to see more "Normal" establishments, my point being i wouldn’t want Greystones to lose the run of itself with its ambitious Harbour development being a prime example.

My 2cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Agreed.

Lack of greasy spoons and good locals in the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

IMO, I mean somewhere Sensible Coffee shops / Restaurants in Greystones have an air of Boutique / associated prices about them not necessarily a bad thing but would like to see more "Normal" establishments, my point being i wouldn’t want Greystones to lose the run of itself with its ambitious Harbour development being a prime example.

My 2cents.

To be honest. With the cost of renovating the place I doubt that will happen.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

Greystones never was a greasy spoon kind of town so I don't see it becoming one these days.it's historically always been a bit affluent and I guess that's why most people enjoy living there. Also the old hotel didn't do well because it was really crap, a small decent boutique style hotel would be booked out in that location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What is the current preservation order on the La Touche, is it the facade, or were all the restrictions lifted entirely, recently?
    If no restrictions, the developer and his backers will want to go as high as possible, to make the most money. There is a particular formula they like; it consists of shops and retail units at ground level, with one or two big name anchor tenants to attract in the footfall, and then apartments from the first floor up. Parking below ground level. Like Dunnes and the Cubes apartments in Sandyford/Stillorgan Ind. Estate
    Something like an ice rink with a view out over the cove would be nice, but it won't compete financially with the more standard formula. And as we know, money talks when it comes to WCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

I noticed some folks setting out stakes in the garden of the adjacent bungalow - assuming in readiness for grounds clear out. Not seeing any planning permission signs yet however.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

legrand wrote: »
    I noticed some folks setting out stakes in the garden of the adjacent bungalow - assuming in readiness for grounds clear out. Not seeing any planning permission signs yet however.

Is there any existing planning permission for hotel appartments and shops or will that have expired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Not that I am aware of - last relevant application was in 2004. Don't see any extension of duration permission submitted on Wicklow.ie

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

The Surveyors where walking around the hotel last week, same attitude as the "Harbour people." We're obviously country bumkins in Greystones and couldn't possibly understand such concepts as Surveying. Extremely rude men, when I politely asked if they had any idea of the plan, they just laughed!! and said there was no preservation order in force anymore when I mentioned it. Manners cost nothing. :-(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/braypeople/news/clarification-sought-on-la-touche-status-27650776.html

From 2012, yes it would seem its abit of a Grey area on if its actually protected, i can see it being demolished tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Pipasawrus wrote: »
    The Surveyors where walking around the hotel last week, same attitude as the "Harbour people." We're obviously country bumkins in Greystones and couldn't possibly understand such concepts as Surveying. Extremely rude men, when I politely asked if they had any idea of the plan, they just laughed!! and said there was no preservation order in force anymore when I mentioned it. Manners cost nothing. :-(

Developers with dollar signs in their sights rarely have manners (IMO)!!

If there is no protection status on the building can the developer knock it down without planning permission? I would presume it would be in their interest to knock it down before they apply for permission for a new development to prevent any future plans having objections to include existing architecture.

They would still need permission to knock a building, but as the protection has been withdrawn, that permission would be a foregone conclusion, regardless of any local objections.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

In the last town plan, the council planners attempted to have all protection removed (presumably to facilitate demolition). This was supported by the elected representatives of Greystones except Tom Fortune.

Not wishing to admit that they would like to demolish the hotel the planners stated that they were naming the area around it as an area of architectural conservation. This they claimed would afford the hotel "greater protection" although they were unable to explain how this worked.

Outvoted by his fellow councillors Tom however succeeded in having the hotel specifically named in the town plan as contributing to the character of the area. Its not clear what level of protection this affords the hotel. It is very likely that WCC will give permission for its demolition but An Bord Pleanala might rule otherwise on the basis that it is clearly the intention on the town plan to preserve the building. (Albeit that it is the intention of the planners to demolish it)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

Greystones never was a greasy spoon kind of town so I don't see it becoming one these days.it's historically always been a bit affluent and I guess that's why most people enjoy living there. Also the old hotel didn't do well because it was really crap, a small decent boutique style hotel would be booked out in that location

Yeah affluent baby.

Allow a greasy spoon set up shop, next thing you know you have a Lidl, sprawling housing estates and people voting Sinn Fein.

tradtshirt wrote: »
    Yeah affluent baby.

Allow a greasy spoon set up shop, next thing you know you have a Lidl, sprawling housing estates and people voting Sinn Fein.

Check, Check, Check

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

I noticed a surveyor/planner at work today at La Touche Hotel site. Hope developments are positive and that work will proceed with all haste.

Theres a feature in the Phoenix on the developer guy

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

No mention of La Touche Hotel or any other properties that are linked to Gary Kavanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭legrand

Apologies for poor image attached.
    Looks like mixed development with retention of the facade + demolition of some (all?) bungalows and (I think) Benigans.
    IMAG1031.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Kavcre La Touche Limited was set up on Tue the 22nd of Jul 2014 in Co. Wicklow. Their current status is Normal. The company's current directors Patrick Crean and Greg Kavanagh have been the director of 56 other Irish companies between them; 3 of which are now closed.

Company Name:Kavcre La Touche Limited
    Time in Business:4 Months
    Company Number:547033
    Current Status:Normal
    Principal Activity:[45.21] General Construction of Buildings and Civil Engineering Works
    May Trade As:Kavcre La Touche Ltd

Registered Address:4 Inver Mews,
    Old Chapel Ground,
    Arklow,
    Co. Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Aronaay

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Kavcre La Touche Limited was set up on Tue the 22nd of Jul 2014 in Co. Wicklow. Their current status is Normal. The company's current directors Patrick Crean and Greg Kavanagh have been the director of 56 other Irish companies between them; 3 of which are now closed.

Company Name:Kavcre La Touche Limited
    Time in Business:4 Months
    Company Number:547033
    Current Status:Normal
    Principal Activity:[45.21] General Construction of Buildings and Civil Engineering Works
    May Trade As:Kavcre La Touche Ltd

Registered Address:4 Inver Mews,
    Old Chapel Ground,
    Arklow,
    Co. Wicklow

Setting up new company's is standard practice for large construction firms. If it was more transparent you'd see that it is about 45% percent funded by a larger company to aide in getting a bank load for the rest of the money

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

It might be the site for a new Mc. Donalds,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

bido wrote:

They have a planning permission by the Cove side for a load of apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

bido wrote: »

It would be a good location for it, especially if it is done like the one in Bray.
    Only downside is McD's lose the through traffic from a drive through express but with the parking in the area and the footfall hopefully this would out just as well.

I also see apartments are there - cool. Did I read that the facade is being kept and that the monstrosity of Bennigans is gong away?

Irish Times have an article here.
    "The bank, used recently as a restaurant, was the first purpose built bank building in Ireland"
    Anyone know the history of this? Presumably a private bank owned by the La Touche family, the original banksters who developed the Bank of Ireland?

Is there actually a valid planning application in for this site? All the papers and local td's said there was but i cant find one on the wicklow planning search. One was submitted and then later rejected as an incomplete application on the same day. Anyone know the status of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Well spotted. So here we are again, the site is in limbo...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement