Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot - 3Arena Dublin - 14 January 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I had mine duct taped to my forehead, I'm thoughtful like that :cool:

Not having a go at you.. I was just surrounded by people last night that spent more time recording videos and taking pictures, for what I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

It's what the kids do these days.

Capturing every effing moment.

I despise it. I might record one song (at a push) for myself, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

mloc123 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you.. I was just surrounded by people last night that spent more time recording videos and taking pictures, for what I do not know.

Don't worry, I wouldn't be thin skinned. But I get you too.

When I've been in standing area's its really annoying but in the seating unless someone stands up to record its not a problem (esp in the 3Arena).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Don't worry, I wouldn't be thin skinned. But I get you too.

When I've been in standing area's its really annoying but in the seating unless someone stands up to record its not a problem (esp in the 3Arena).

Anyone get the distinct impression Slipknot mimed a good bit of their set?.

I don't think the main portion of the band mimed (guitars, bass, drums) though the rest of the lads might as well have just sat in the crowd.

Everything looked fine from where I was sitting, but as above I reckon there were a lot of prerecorded harmonies (esp on Duality, as he never generally takes the high notes on that one but did last night).

They were really, really good though I must stress that point.

And tbh, I didn't really see too many cameras recording on the ground floor, benefits of a pit I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Zorroman

DYLF wrote: »
    So im just in from this gig. Girlfriend had her purse and phone stolen from her bag. I caught someone with their hand in my pocket but i had no idea who when i turned around and 4 of my friends had phones taken as well as numerous people around us. I've been to so many metal gigs and never have i experienced anything like it. Gardai didnt give a ****... Security couldnt care less...

Phone stolen as well. Taken out of my pocket near the front of the stage. I've seen slipknot before in '04, I know we had different technology then but nothing was ever stolen at this gigs. Last night was unbelievable how many phones were stolen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Zorroman wrote: »
    Phone stolen as well. Taken out of my pocket near the front of the stage. I've seen slipknot before in '04, I know we had different technology then but nothing was ever stolen at this gigs. Last night was unbelievable how many phones were stolen.

Same. Got her purse back. It was dropped into the gibson reception. Money cards driving licence everything gone out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SoggyMeatStrip

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I don't think the main portion of the band mimed (guitars, bass, drums) though the rest of the lads might as well have just sat in the crowd.

Everything looked fine from where I was sitting, but as above I reckon there were a lot of prerecorded harmonies (esp on Duality, as he never generally takes the high notes on that one but did last night).

They were really, really good though I must stress that point.

And tbh, I didn't really see too many cameras recording on the ground floor, benefits of a pit I suppose.
    Töpher wrote: »
    It's hard to not be tight when the CDs are playing in the background. Corey Taylor's unmistakable voice ringing out while the microphone is tucked behind his knee or out over the crowd. Liveliest miming I've seen since <insert embarrassing event here>. Disappointed, but truth be told not that surprised.

Didn't play enough old tracks, at least it seemed like Korn were actually playing. But I'm open to correction on that.

Lads, It's common for metal bands to have a backing track running for vocal harmonies, extra guitar parts etc. All sub drops are synced to the track too..someone's not doing it live haha. Most of the lighting is too actually. They're most likely playing to a click track like most bands these days. The keg hits looked to be sampled or perhaps blended with a sample, i'd imagine it would be a nightmare to mic up a keg and get a consistent sound. Chris and Shawn's drums looked to be mic'd as when they played some irregular fills on
    them you could tell that they weren't sampled(They only really added some oomph around the sub-bass frequencies).

They no doubt can perform all of the songs live, it's just things like these which make the performance go a lot smoother and stand out. They put on a great show!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Is there any chance that these items fell out of peoples pockets if they were moshing? I was on the balcony and the crowd looked absolutely insane at some parts, kinda wish I was down there for certain songs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

On a side note, why would you go moshing with a phone in your pocket, which could get damaged or fall out at any time?

A zipped pocket is key here!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Did anyone get/see any pictures of clown sitting in the crowd last night? I was sitting next to him so I'm mad to see the pictures!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's common for metal bands to have a backing track running for vocal harmonies, extra guitar parts etc.

Is that really the case? Maybe some bands do but I wouldn't say it's the norm.

Is that really the case? Maybe some bands do but I wouldn't say it's the norm.

It's quite the norm for bands to use stems on live performances to fill out the sound

It's quite the norm for bands to use stems on live performances to fill out the sound

What's a stem by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mark27493

A friend of mine had his phone stolen and at one stage of slipknot's set I caught some little pick with his hand in my pocket pulling my phone out.. ****ing disgrace

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What's a stem by the way?

When you record a song, you generally record each instrument or piece of instrument on an individual track, sort of like seperate lanes on a motorway, for each guitar, vocal, bass...

A stem is another way of naming it, when you transferring a collection of recorded tracks from one system to another.

When you record a song, you generally record each instrument or piece of instrument on an individual track, sort of like seperate lanes on a motorway, for each guitar, vocal, bass...

A stem is another way of naming it, when you transferring a collection of recorded tracks from one system to another.

Thanks. So go back to my original point, that wouldn't be the norm in gigs would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

I was in the pit and noticed at least 5 people searching for their phones on the ground. At the time I thought they must have dropped them but by the looks of things they must have been pick pocketed. Luckily I had my jumper tied around my waist covering all my pockets. This is my first gig where this kind of stuff has happened which is disappointing as I have been to many gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I remember the same thing happening at a Dropkick Murphys gig about two years back in Vicar Street, according to the bouncers it was an organized gang of pickpockets and they had close to 100 people complaining of stolen items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Can't believe all of the stories about the pick pocketing. That's outrageous. I'm surprised too because I was pretty much dead centre of the standing area and there was none of that going on, well at least what I could see anyway. Everyone was cool there was no aggro or stupid carrying on. Very disappointing to hear.

I didn't see King810 but I thought Korn were really great and Slipknot were out of this world. I was at the gig in the RDS in 2005 and thought that was brilliant but last night was another level. I'm sitting in work and I can't hold my head up because my neck is so painful. Sign of a great night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Did anyone catch any of the pick pockets in the act and smack em?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭colmufc

Can't believe all of the stories about the pick pocketing. That's outrageous. I'm surprised too because I was pretty much dead centre of the standing area and there was none of that going on, well at least what I could see anyway. Everyone was cool there was no aggro or stupid carrying on. Very disappointing to hear.

I didn't see King810 but I thought Korn were really great and Slipknot were out of this world. I was at the gig in the RDS in 2005 and thought that was brilliant but last night was another level. I'm sitting in work and I can't hold my head up because my neck is so painful. Sign of a great night!

"your moshing wrong if your neck hurts " and that's an actual quote from Corey when I met him 12 years ago in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Weren't a few of the stage wanderers in SlipKnot founding members and/or play an important role in their multimedia output and doing the PR stuff? Clown and dicknose guy are always seemed the most approachable. The show wouldn't be SlipKnot without it being a weird circus that includes all of them. Would anybody honestly be thrilled if they scaled it back to a 5 piece?

I didn't mind Corey's usual revivalist preaching between the songs either because he always seems like he means it. Not enough metal bands talk between the songs anyway. We got a kick out of how stark the contrast was between the nihilistic music and his kinda lovely mums boy stage persona.

KoRn were an unexpected treat. I was never that into them. People in the pit were sound out. I fell loads of times because the floor was wet and I was always propped back up and pushed in to things.

Amount of lads walking barechest back from the arena was hilarious. Oops!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Thanks. So go back to my original point, that wouldn't be the norm in gigs would it?

Depends on the type of gigs.

It's starting to become very common in Musical Theatre now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,417 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

enjoyed the gig, korn were excellent, slipknot were good but could not understand some of the vocals

seat was excellent in block E, the cider in the 3arena is horrible (why cant they get either stella or bulmers cider and E6.50 is a rip off)

thank god i wasant downstairs as it looked like a war zone

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SoggyMeatStrip

Mark27493 wrote: »
    A friend of mine had his phone stolen and at one stage of slipknot's set I caught some little pick with his hand in my pocket pulling my phone out.. ****ing disgrace

Whereabouts in the crowd where you?
    Depends on the type of gigs.

It's starting to become very common in Musical Theatre now.

A ton of metal bands that i've seen use them, An example off-hand of a band that has vocal harmonies on a backing track that I can think of is Monuments, it adds greatly to the show!
    Virtually all modern metal bands program sub-drops in too.
    Weren't a few of the stage wanderers in SlipKnot founding members and/or play an important role in their multimedia output and doing the PR stuff? Clown and dicknose guy are always seemed the most approachable. The show wouldn't be SlipKnot without it being a weird circus that includes all of them. Would anybody honestly be thrilled if they scaled it back to a 5 piece?

I totally agree. They contribute a lot to the live show and possibly to songwriting and PR etc. Pretty much a band is a business and perhaps they need these guys to help manage it too through various means.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    thank god i wasant downstairs as it looked like a war zone
    It was chaos around the middle and the front, I eventually moved back and it was fine once you got out of the middle.

Did anyone else find that the mix wasn't great at times? Or perhaps it was just at certain places in the venue that it was hard to hear some of the instruments at times

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mark27493

Whereabouts in the crowd where you?

Middle of the crowd where the main pits were. Little scraggy fella acted like I had 2 heads when I caught him in the act and called him out on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Those hoodies in the crowd being thrown into the air throughout the entire show must've been having the time of their lives.

I'd have to say Korn were better then Slipknot on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Saw Korn at Rock IM Park two years ago and they were better that night cause they had the full set going. Were excellent again last night.

Thought Slipknot were top class. Have been waiting around 15 years to go see them live and they certainly didn't disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Did anyone else find that the mix wasn't great at times? Or perhaps it was just at certain places in the venue that it was hard to hear some of the instruments at times

I thought the sound was brilliant for Slipknot, maybe not quite as good for Korn (support band and all that). I was pretty near the sound desk though...

Advertisement