Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slipknot - 3Arena Dublin - 14 January 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Korn were fantastic, top form and seemed to be reallh enjoying themselves. Great subtle crowd interactrio from Munky & JD, who was effortlessy cool strutting and boogieing around. Love that man. Greay song choices for the limited time. Disappointed they didnt get more time/ volume.

Slipknot pleasantly surprised me, I liked a spat of songs in the middle, not too familiar with anything after Subliminal Verses. Loved the staging and freaky circus vibe, didn't love Corey's overly sentimental saccharine filled speeches or getting shoved out of the way by Clown's burly bouncer, I'm 5 foot nothing, I'm no harm to the clown!!

Neck in bits, tinnitus, voice gone. Heart was thumping & I was shaking from being so pumped up at times!

Anyone go to Poison after party? I was too wrecked :( Band members show up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone go to Poison after party? I was too wrecked :( Band members show up?

I went to Poison, no band and the place was rammed. I went around to the Gypsy Rose for a few pints there then wandered up to Fibbers for a last one.

Taxi home and done the sensible thing ~ sandwich, tea and a pint of water to dilute all the whiskey and Guinness woke up this morning brand new :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea actually where i was standing(to the right of the stage half way up the sound for Corey's Vocals were sometimes hit or miss

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

The sound at the far sides was terrible. That's the bittersweet thing about the arena I guess. Plenty of space around the edges to get beer and wander right to the front without pushing but if you're at the side of the stage ... you're at the side of the stage. The acoustics don't really accommodate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

First time seeing Korn & Slipknot having listened to their stuff for years, instant gratification :D Had such a great time in the pits (usually the main one at the centre) bouncing around the place. Pleasantly surprised to hear Metallica's "One" during Korn's set, delighted to hear My Plague, Sic and Sarcastrophe. Shame they didn't play Skeptic though, that would have been a great touch to the first European show. All in all, a savage night.

Poison was, as Makikomi put it, rammed to the hilt. Still, can't beat going back there again after so long.

A mate of mine had someone try to dip him twice, the second time he got stared down and in no uncertain terms told to fcuk off away. I also seen a lot of girls being brought out from the pit even as early as Korn's set. It got very heavy in there at times, I'm surprised I only seen one ambulance outside when queuing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Töpher wrote: »
    It's hard to not be tight when the CDs are playing in the background. Corey Taylor's unmistakable voice ringing out while the microphone is tucked behind his knee or out over the crowd. Liveliest miming I've seen since <insert embarrassing event here>. Disappointed, but truth be told not that surprised.

Didn't play enough old tracks, at least it seemed like Korn were actually playing. But I'm open to correction on that.

Miming? Hah, do you forget that the two percussionists carry microphones for backing vocals?

Any band with a sampler/keyboard/dj will have their samples sounding like they're straight off of a cd, but from my ears, none of the strings, percussion our vocals were faked.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

Definitely had someone make a grab for my phone at the start of Slipknot, but as I just upgraded to a fancy new one was conscious that someone might make a try :), so had my thumb hooked into my pocket.

Korn were awesome. I think I'm more of a Korn fan anyway;I'm horse from singing along to the set (well most of it) Don't know where One came from but they probably played the extract better than Metallica did:).

Slipknot were also awesome, (yes Corey was a little annoying) Funnily enough I've been listening to Slipknot more since the gig so am probably now as big a slipknot fan (although I do confess I probably prefer Stone sour)

Anyone have the full set list, For Korn (as far as my terrible memory goes) I have the following (there are some gaps and the order is all wrong)

Twist
    Here to Stay
    Shoots & Ladders
    Blind
    Falling away from me
    One (!)
    Got the life
    Right now
    Freak on a leash

For Slipknot (not even attempting the play order here, and I didn't even clock the first two or three songs because of the phone thing and my daughter getting thumped in the mosh pit)

Spit it out
    Vermillion
    The Devil in I
    The Negative one
    Pshycosocial
    Custer
    Before I forget
    Duality
    Wait and Bleed
    My Plague
    Sic
    Sarcastrophe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Korn have always played a bit of One at the end of Shoots and Ladders since they played it at Metallica MTV icon around 2001 or 2002

This was my 9th time seeing Korn and was a bit disappointed with the sound. Nowhere near loud enough and Head was having problems with his sound nearly all set. For a 50 minute set I felt they wasted a lot of time between songs. Good performance from them though. Strange seeing them as support though.

Slipknot impressed me though. Have always found their sound was too muddled when I seen them anytime before but this gig was great. Loads of energy from the band and the crowd was really up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

My first time seeing Slipknot and second seeing Korn. I thought Korn's set was fantastic, although would have liked to hear more of their 'hits'.

I had found a setlist from the American leg of the tour and think it was the same here bar two songs (Vermilion and Eyeless). Think this was the order:

XIX
    Sarcastrophe
    The Heretic Anthem
    My Plague
    The Devil In I
    Psychosocial
    The Negative One
    Vermilion
    Liberate
    Eyeless
    Before I Forget
    Duality
    Wait and Bleed
    Spit It Out
    Custer

Encore:
    People=****
    Surfacing
    'Til We Die

Slipknot really impressed me, I've been waiting year to see them live and they didn't disappoint! I'm such a huge fan though so would obviously like to hear songs other than the main hits. My only issue was I had a poor view from centre stage but nearer the back - we didn't want to move too close to where the main moshing was going on but I couldn't really see the band from where I was at times. Still had enough room to move about and sound was great!

Try Setlist fm for set list. Usually pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

Anybody know who were the photographers on stage/around stage at the gig? Was right up at the front and there was pictures taken in our section. Would really like to see them if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Anybody know who were the photographers on stage/around stage at the gig? Was right up at the front and there was pictures taken in our section. Would really like to see them if possible!

Here's one that I've come across so far
    https://www.facebook.com/DownTheBarrel

More photos here

https://m.facebook.com/mcd.productions/albums/10153089944084548/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Jofspring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

"This time, we're headlining where Metallica usually fcukin plays" - Corey

Errr no, Metallica have never played that Arena....EVER

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Metallica played the Point in 1996 according to a clip on YouTube. Although the venue has changed looks wise it's technically the same place.

IT's kind of nit picking really. Metallica have headlined themselves in Dublin just in other locations. To me the point was more in relation to them being a support act and now the headliner.

Edit: http://www.metallica.com/tour/oct-9-1996-dublin.asp

And ten years ago they headlined the RDS Simmonscourt. Cool little Video though, wonder will they do one for every gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Jofspring wrote: »
    Metallica played the Point in 1996 according to a clip on YouTube. Although the venue has changed looks wise it's technically the same place.

IT's kind of nit picking really. Metallica have headlined themselves in Dublin just in other locations. To me the point was more in relation to them being a support act and now the headliner.

Edit: http://www.metallica.com/tour/oct-9-1996-dublin.asp

Technically the same place? It's nothing like the old place, it's built on the same spot, that's it, the only comparison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭budgemook

It is the same place

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SoggyMeatStrip

scudzilla wrote: »
    "This time, we're headlining where Metallica usually fcukin plays" - Corey

Errr no, Metallica have never played that Arena....EVER
    Slipknot were the support act for Metallica in the RDS in 2004, the last time Slipknot were hear before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Slipknot were the support act for Metallica in the RDS in 2004, the last time Slipknot were hear before.

Nope the band got their facts wrong on that count too the year after the Metallica gig they played the Simmonscourt Hall as the main act on the same Vol.3 tour, Helmet and Shadows Fall supported them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The 3arena is not a new building built on the site of the old point, it is the same venue, albeit expanded.

Metallica played the venue in 1992, 1996 and 1999. I was at the 3 of them.

Just saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nope the band got their facts wrong on that count too the year after the Metallica gig they played the Simmonscourt Hall as the main act on the same Vol.3 tour, Helmet and Shadows Fall supported them.

Yep and one of the best concerts I've ever been to, better than this one. Still, this one was class, people are just nitpicking, it's a cool video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SoggyMeatStrip

Beekay wrote: »
    Head was having problems with his sound nearly all set.
    I assume his wireless wasn't working as he switched to a cable mid-set and was okay from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JTdrummer

Was actually the RDS main hall cause the venue changed to a smaller one due to ticket sales being bad.. I was there when they supported Metallica and when they headlined with shadows fall as support the following months after.. They didn't come back to Dublin in 10 years because it wasn't a finacial gain.. All that transport for gear and setup costs would surpass the the ticket sales income.. Simmonscourt holds around 5 thousand where a the main hall holds just about a thousand if not less and it wasnt even full that time 10 years ago.. And they went from playing to a thousand to playing to 13 thousand in a venue that holds 14500 which was very impressive Would be stupid to have missed it since it might not happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

JTdrummer wrote: »
    .. Simmonscourt holds around 5 thousand where a the main hall holds just about a thousand if not less and it wasnt even full that time 10 years ago.. And they went from playing to a thousand to playing to 13 thousand in a venue that holds 14500 which was very impressive Would be stupid to have missed it since it might not happen again.

Where did you pull those figures from?

Simmonscourt has a capacity of 7000
    http://www.hermanh.be/Royal%20Dublin%20Society.html

And the main hall can hold up to 5500 for a seated event.
    http://www.rds.ie/cat_venue_detail.jsp?itemID=157

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 JTdrummer

Wasn't that big with a stage taking up a mass amount to suit 8 musicians since clown was absent.. So no it's not big enough to fit that.. Empty without stage maybe but not with stage and barriers etc.. There was about thousand at it maybe more but it was a small gig.. I Remeber it well.

Advertisement