Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar panels connected to storage heater

• 13-10-2014 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I have a garage with a reasonably large south facing roof, would it work to connect solar panels directly into a storage heater? so bypass inverter, esb meter etc, just connect straight to storage heater elements?

My thinking here is that the solar panels would charge up the storage heater during the day and the heat would dissipate overnight, keeping the garage warm'ish.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

I can't see it being cost effective.

Might aswell just plug in an electric fire in there or heater if you need heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

I have a garage with a reasonably large south facing roof, would it work to connect solar panels directly into a storage heater? so bypass inverter, esb meter etc, just connect straight to storage heater elements?

My thinking here is that the solar panels would charge up the storage heater during the day and the heat would dissipate overnight, keeping the garage warm'ish.

Any thoughts?
    The panel has an optimum voltage at which it operates depending on the light available. An inverter has a power point tracking system that keeps the panel at its optimum output. You just won't get that if you put a resistive load like a heater onto it.

And there is a mismatch. Solar will work best in summer when you need it least. Solar air conditioning (if we ever need it) is a better marriage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

For the money you'd spend setting up the system you could insulate your garage really well and run a tiny heater of some sort every now and again in winter...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement