Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New changes to the testing of vintage Cars/Trucks?

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

corktina wrote: »
    so i think if NCT becomes under 30 then CVRT will have to too for campers. I imagine it is becasue campers couldn't be NCTd and had to be added to the CVRT test but get special treatment akin to vintage cars (rightly so)... Commercials used solely as vintage should get this too really.
    I wholly agree with you btw, just thought that all CVRT were not exempt at 30 years.

Lets hope they go with the rolling 30 year exemption. For all, excluding commercials used as commercial purposes. (similar to how PSV vintage cars require a yearly NCT)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Ah, ok thanks
    So the pre '80 applies to NCT and then specifically to CVRT for campers but not other vintage commercials.

Typical Irish.

Exactly.

S.I. 107/2013 - AUTHORISATION OF COMMERCIAL VEHICLE ROADWORTHINESS TEST OPERATORS AND TESTERS REGULATIONS 2013

"Definitions and interpretation

3. In these Regulations—

“CVR vehicle” means—
    (a) a mechanically propelled vehicle having at least 4 wheels used—
    (i) for the carriage of passengers, with more than 8 seats excluding the driver’s seat (categories M2 and M3),
    (ii) as a goods vehicle (categories N1, N2 and N3),
    (iii) as an ambulance (special purpose vehicles in category M),
    (iv) as a motor caravan, where such vehicle was first registered on or after 1 January 1980 (special purpose vehicles in category M),
    or

(b) a goods trailer (categories O3 and O4);"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Thanks for posting that Macplaxton, good to have it confirmed again.
    That said I think I will probably get a DOE when I'm finished my restoration anyway, but it's good to know it won't be off the road because it doesn't have a kite mark and TUV stamp on it's 70's bubble moon windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

swarlb wrote: »
    That is a pointless argument. What exactly is it that you'd like to see ? roads full of 20/30/40 year old well maintained cars, just to prove something to the world that we Irish don't want to fall into the 'trap' of being conned into buying 'shiny new German cars', and by doing so 'sticking it to the man' by avoiding paying VRT.
    Where exactly did all the old cars come from ?? And were they VRT exempt ?
    The NCT is a car road worthiness test, nothing more, nothing less, it is not some part of a 'vile conspiracy theory' to drive cars off the road, and/or 'con' the poor put upon motorist to pay more tax.
    Not everyone who owns/drives an old car looks after it, the same way that not everyone who has a 'new' car does the same.
    We were buying, selling and scrapping cars long before the internet, cheap rates of road tax, 'classic' insurance policies came along, and certainly long before the NCT was devised.
    The problem is, like almost everything to do with the Irish, we casually ignored anything to do with car testing till we were forced into doing it, and then all we do is piss and moan about it as though it was a plague from Hell.

I fully agree with you on this! The world is coming to an end!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2017-02-28a.2094&s=Shane+ross+rsa+2017-02-28..2017-02-28#g2096.r

Written answers
    Tuesday, 28 February 2017

What are written answers?
    Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
    Roadworthiness Testing

All Written Answers on 28 Feb 2017
    « Previous answer Next answer »

Photo of Michael Healy-RaeMichael Healy-Rae (Kerry, Independent)

Photo of Shane RossShane Ross (Dublin Rathdown, Independent)

Having considered the Road Safety Authority's (RSA) report, I have accepted their recommendation for a rolling forty-year roadworthiness testing exemption, from 2020 onwards, coupled with a reduced requirement (biennial rather than annual) for the compulsory testing of all vehicles aged between thirty and forty years old.

In the interim period, up to 2020, subject to amending Regulations, the existing pre-1980 registered vehicles exemption will be extended to all vehicles(including commercial vehicles no longer operated in that capacity),which are used solely for social and domestic purposes. Those vehicles registered after 1 January 1980 and which are more than thirty years old, but less than forty, will be tested biennially rather than annually as at present. They too, will then be exempted from the roadworthiness testing regime on reaching forty years of age.

There are no proposals to exempt any vehicle used for commercial purposes from compulsory testing requirements, regardless of age. Further details relating to these recommendations will be published in due course on the RSA's website at www.rsa.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

rsa.ie/Documents/VS_Information_Notes/Alternative_Cars_Fuels/FAQs%20on%20Vintage%20Vehicles.pdf

FAQs on Vintage Vehicles & Roadworthiness Testing
    What is the definition of a vintage vehicle? The term vintage vehicle refers to a 'vehicle of historical interest' which
    fulfils all the following conditions:
     it was manufactured or registered for the first time at least 30 years ago,
     its specific type, as defined in the relevant national or Union law, is no longer in production;
     it is historically preserved and maintained in its original state and has not undergone substantial changes in
    the technical characteristics of its main components;

Are vintage cars pre 1980 exempt from NCT? Yes. Currently vehicles registered prior to 01/01/1980 are not
    required to undergo a roadworthiness test.

Why do vintage trucks need to be tested? Vintage trucks can be used for commercial purposes i.e. to carry a load,
    and this is why they are required to be tested. these vehicles are tested to the standards that the vehicles concerned
    were originally designed to meet.

Are there new regulations coming in for testing vintage vehicles? Yes. From 20th May 2018, new regulations will be
    coming into effect regarding roadworthiness testing of vintage vehicles.
    What are the changes for vintage vehicles that are currently within the scope of testing at NCT Centres? The new
    regulations for these vehicles are as follows:
     from 20th May, 2018, all vehicles registered post 1st January 1980 that are over 30 years old, but less than 40, the
    requirement to undergo a compulsory NCT will be reduced to a biennial test i.e. every 2 years
     from January 2020 onwards, any vehicle 40 years or older will not require a test
    Will vintage trucks still need to be tested annually when the new regulations come in? The new regulations for
    vintage trucks are as follows:

 Vintage trucks first registered prior to 1st January 1980 which are being used solely for non-commercial
    purposes will not require roadworthiness testing.
     From 20th May 2018 vehicles between 30 and 40 years of age (used for non-commercial purposes) will be
    required to undergo compulsory roadworthiness testing biennially (every 2 years) instead of annually.
     From January 2020 onwards, any vehicle 40 years or older will not require a test.
     Vintage vehicles used for commercial purposes will continue to undergo annual roadworthiness testing.
    What is considered to be a vintage vehicle which is used commercially? If a vintage vehicle is being used to
    transport passengers or goods for hire or reward it is considered to be used commercially.
    What colour should indicators be on a 1963 vintage vehicle? Normally the colour of the light shown by a direction
    indicator should be amber, however if the vehicle was first registered before 1st of July 1964, it can be any of the
    following:
    (a) amber - where the indicator shows both to the front and the rear,
    (b) amber or white - where the indicator shows only to the front,
    (c) amber or red - where the indicator shows only to the rear.
    What colour should front parking lights be on a 1963 vintage vehicle? They should be, when lit, a white or yellow
    light to the front of the vehicle and a red light to the rear.

Can you clarify if camper vans over 30 years old (vintage) or pre 1980 need a current CRW? No. There is no test
    required on pre 1980 Motor Homes/Motor Caravans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

[Where] on 20 May 2018 there is in force a test certificate for a vehicle, other than a vehicle referred to in paragraph (4), that has reached the thirtieth anniversary of first registration, the test due date in respect of such a vehicle shall be the anniversary of the expiry date of such test certificate and each subsequent biennial of that date
    Is that suggesting that there needs to be a valid test on the 20th for your next cert after that date to be a two-year one? Wonder how the system will treat a test that was due before the 20th...

Advertisement