If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question(s) about the Cambridge Audio Minx Go and Go bluetooth speakers....

Options
  • 13-10-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So I was thinking about getting the latest offering from Cambridge audio from their bluetooth range the 'Go' which is the 2nd generation of the Minx Go and just had a few questions...

Firstly are there any actual audio differences between the two models? I know the latest one has a couple of new features but in terms of pure audio are they any different?

Also can you please confirm the latest model does not have any annoying hissing/bluetooht noise/signal noise when it's turned on and nothing is playing? as i've seen 2 seperate reviews stating the older model suffered from excessive background noise although several other peoplehave said it wasn't a problem for them.

Cheers.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Aryn86 wrote: »
    So I was thinking about getting the latest offering from Cambridge audio from their bluetooth range the 'Go' which is the 2nd generation of the Minx Go and just had a few questions...

Firstly are there any actual audio differences between the two models? I know the latest one has a couple of new features but in terms of pure audio are they any different?

Also can you please confirm the latest model does not have any annoying hissing/bluetooht noise/signal noise when it's turned on and nothing is playing? as i've seen 2 seperate reviews stating the older model suffered from excessive background noise although several other peoplehave said it wasn't a problem for them.

Cheers.
    Ayrn,

many thanks for the call and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

There are lots of improvements between the original Minx Go and the new Cambridge Go - the main visible ones of course are the addition of NFC for ease of connection for android devices and the ability to use the huge battery as a phone / pad charger via USB even when the Go is not connected to mains.

On the aesthetic front they are now in a satin finish as opposed to the high gloss and they also come with a travel bag which is really useful given that these babies will spend most of their lives in and out of suitcases or haversacks!

Technically there are several improvements including the addition of the higher quality Bluetooth APTX coding - the casework has also been reworked to minimise vibrations and eliminate the quirky little foot! 

On the background noise issue - we have not had any issues with either the original or the new Go - however being blunt ANY amp/speaker combo will produce a certain amount of white noise if they don't have an input signal - really this hasn't been an issue at all for us with the GO..

Have a look at the review here:
    http://www.whathifi.com/cambridge-audio/go/review

We have them available ready to ship online at €159.99 including delivery here:
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200775-go.aspx (Black)
    http://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200776-go-white.aspx (white)

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Aryn86

Cheers.
    Ayrn,

There are lots of improvements between the original Minx Go and the new Cambridge Go - the main visible ones of course are the addition of NFC for ease of connection for android devices and the ability to use the huge battery as a phone / pad charger via USB even when the Go is not connected to mains.

On the aesthetic front they are now in a satin finish as opposed to the high gloss and they also come with a travel bag which is really useful given that these babies will spend most of their lives in and out of suitcases or haversacks!

Technically there are several improvements including the addition of the higher quality Bluetooth APTX coding - the casework has also been reworked to minimise vibrations and eliminate the quirky little foot! 

On the background noise issue - we have not had any issues with either the original or the new Go - however being blunt ANY amp/speaker combo will produce a certain amount of white noise if they don't have an input signal - really this hasn't been an issue at all for us with the GO..

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

That's good to hear....I think i'll probably go ahead and order from you guys in the next couple of weeks, have really been impressed with the service richersounds provided a few months back when I ordered my Canton soundbase.

On a sidenote are there any other alternatives you think I should consider when it comes to bluetooth speakers in a similar price bracket? (or even a pricier)

Cheers.
    Ayrn,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

That's good to hear....I think i'll probably go ahead and order from you guys in the next couple of weeks, have really been impressed with the service richersounds provided a few months back when I ordered my Canton soundbase.

On a sidenote are there any other alternatives you think I should consider when it comes to bluetooth speakers in a similar price bracket? (or even a pricier)
    Thanks for the kind words and great to hear you are enjoying your Canton!

The Cambridge is pretty exceptional to be honest but there are a few other noteworthy Bluetooth speakers - slightly down in price from the Cambridge Go the Pioneer XW BTSA at just €89.99 ( including delivery) sounds F A N T A S T I C - its really compact as well - the only drawback is that it is a mains only device - have a look here:

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200752-xw-btsa1.aspx

The 'Step-Up' unit would be a Denon Envaya - in monetary terms this is the first product after the Cambridge Go that I would recommend as actually being more expensive AND better! its perhaps not as 'feature-filled' and the battery life isn't as good as the Cambridge Go but it does sound better!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

PS there are other versions of the new Go coming shortly - including a 'Super Go' - and a Go that includes an FM radio! we will post these as soon as they arrive!

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Cheers.
    Ayrn,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

Thanks for the kind words and great to hear you are enjoying your Canton!

The Cambridge is pretty exceptional to be honest but there are a few other noteworthy Bluetooth speakers - slightly down in price from the Cambridge Go the Pioneer XW BTSA at just €89.99 ( including delivery) sounds F A N T A S T I C - its really compact as well - the only drawback is that it is a mains only device - have a look here:

The 'Step-Up' unit would be a Denon Envaya - in monetary terms this is the first product after the Cambridge Go that I would recommend as actually being more expensive AND better! its perhaps not as 'feature-filled' and the battery life isn't as good as the Cambridge Go but it does sound better!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

PS there are other versions of the new Go coming shortly - including a 'Super Go' - and a Go that includes an FM radio! we will post these as soon as they arrive!
    Thanks John, I checked out the Denon Envaya as it got me curious and I happened to run across a video on youtube comparing it along with the Bose Sound Link Mini and in comparison the sound on the Envaya seemed a little boxed in at lower volumes maybe because of the bass trying to peek through..I love nice meaty bass but seems like the envaya is bordering on the overpowering...but do correct me if i'm wrong.

Think i'll probably settle on the Go as i've not found anything that appeals to me from the more expensive ones.

Aryn,

its really hard to tell by trying to compare on a YouTube video! - the Envaya deffo does have more bass but of course at high levels its difficult for any small enclosure to control bass and the envaya is no different - however I have done the comparison with the Minx Go and new Cambridge Go against the Envaya and the Envaya is clearly better, but if it worth 40% more - now I'm not so sure about that and I'd tend to agree with you that the more expensive Bluetooth portable speakers really don't do enough to justify the additional spend,

ATVB,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Aryn,

its really hard to tell by trying to compare on a YouTube video! - the Envaya deffo does have more bass but of course at high levels its difficult for any small enclosure to control bass and the envaya is no different - however I have done the comparison with the Minx Go and new Cambridge Go against the Envaya and the Envaya is clearly better, but if it worth 40% more - now I'm not so sure about that and I'd tend to agree with you that the more expensive Bluetooth portable speakers really don't do enough to justify the additional spend,

ATVB,

John Mc
    Thanks for the feedback, so in your opinion the Envaya is definitely the best of the pricier bunch? see i'm set on the new Minx Go but untill I actually order I leave myself open to other option I considered the UE BOOM but it looks horrid and the Bose Soundlink Mini lacks the aptX codec which I want not to mention both of those cost 170 vs the 120 of the Minx Go.

Aryn,

ATVB,

John Mc
    Thanks for the feedback, so in your opinion the Envaya is definitely the best of the pricier bunch? see i'm set on the new Minx Go but untill I actually order I leave myself open to other option I considered the UE BOOM but it looks horrid and the Bose Soundlink Mini lacks the aptX codec which I want not to mention both of those cost 170 vs the 120 of the Minx Go.
    Yep,

I know I keep saying it but the Cambridge Go is pretty exceptional and I would be happy just with that unit - the Envaya does sound better but its 40% more expensive so that's the least I would expect - if you are concerned about any potential issues with the Cambridge Go ( we honestly haven't come across them) you may feel more comfortable with the Envaya - but really I cannot recommend the Cambridge Go highly enough - its a bargain at £119.95 / €159.99 ( Euro pricing includes shipping)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-200776-go-white.aspx?swapstore=1

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.