Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting lawns in October

• 13-10-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Are you cutting your lawn in October?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

one more high cut methinks --- nest weekend ; weather permitting & just keep it tidy after that if i can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,777 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll be cutting later today or maybe tomorrow, weather permitting.
    It needs a cut, quite high and rain of last week or so stopped me getting it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭daheff

I got mine cut 2 weekends ago...thinking that'd be the last cut of the year. Weathers been mild & wet, so the grass is still growing. I reckon I might have to do one more cut. The only problem is its getting cold at night (Frosty some mornings out my way!)....so I'm not sure if I should or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Just finished cutting mine, fair bit of growth. With the good weather I'm not sure it'l even be the last cut

Got it cut but at a bit of a height, so hope to get another run over it tomorrow if the forecast turns out to be right, cos rain coming Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just finished cutting mine, fair bit of growth. With the good weather I'm not sure it'l even be the last cut

Same here. It was cut yesterday, as the grass was getting so high. I don't think that'll be the last either with all the mild, wet weather we've been getting. Maybe another one in a fortnight, then that'll be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yep, done the front last week, the back over two days in the last week, the side will have to be strimmed tomorrow its always the longest to dry out and gets cut the least. Keep it short and it dries quicker of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Cut mine last week.
    One has a fair bit of growth again but we've had maybe four nights if hard grass frost here in Cavan so it's probably done.
    That said, if weather falls right I might give it a run next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cut it last night. there's mild weather due, so i suspect we're not done yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Cut it last week and don't really want to do it again. Donegal, so I think it'll be okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Cutting today hopefully, have customers to keep cut too.

This time of year I still cut it fairly low not as low as high summer though, unless the daytime temperature drops below 5-6 degrees the grass will keep on growing.

Cutting again today, growth isn't stopping just yet.

Got 2 cuts done in 2 days last week, but too much rain last few days to get at it again.

Its a nice height now for the winter, but I think with this wet and warm, humid weather there might still be plenty of growth. Anyone know what stops grass growing? Is it time of year or temperature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

NIMAN wrote: »
    Got 2 cuts done in 2 days last week, but too much rain last few days to get at it again.

Its a nice height now for the winter, but I think with this wet and warm, humid weather there might still be plenty of growth. Anyone know what stops grass growing? Is it time of year or temperature?

Temperature.

I'd have cut mine today but had to do a bit of mollycoddling-and cooking. :(

going to be wet tomorrow. Will have to see if I can get a chance during the week. At least one more cut. Dublin city centre....

Grass stops mainly with drop in temperature anything below about 5 degrees centigrade and it will stop growing.

Just cut in the rain simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Cutting tomorrow and thinking about using abut if weed and feed too.

ted1 wrote: »
    Cutting tomorrow and thinking about using abut if weed and feed too.

Too late for weed and feed I'm afraid.

There's an autumn feed you can buy
    http://www.diy.com/departments/evergreen-autumn-2-in-1-lawn-feed-35kg/236518_BQ.prd

"We suggest using this product from September to Mid November for best effect."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Cut it at lunch time and collected leaves at the same time. It was a great day for it...may go over it again before the end of the year...

• Advertisement

I'll be needing to do at least 4 more cuts before the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

monkeynuz wrote: »
    I'll be needing to do at least 4 more cuts before the end of the year.
    I'll see your 4 and raise you 1, I'll be doing at least 5 :pac::pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Cut mine today in north County Dublin. Good crop of grass since I last cut less than two weeks ago. A lot of moss though has appeared in the last while. Any recommendation of a treatment suitable for this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I hope to do mine over the weekend if there's a dry spell. There has been a little bit of growth since the last cut about two weeks ago...

Advertisement