Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Dublin City become 100% CCTV monitored

• 13-10-2014 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

Including every street, Traffic light, Public transport and train station from a one stop shop like Garda HQ

due to the amount of scumbaggery going on.

Im a Dub and I think yes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Great way to waste more money we don't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Packrat

Scanger forum
    》way

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Maybe more guards on the street might help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

We should also outlaw thoughtcrime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I thought it was already

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most of the city is monitored 24/7. A more effective policy would be having more Gardai on the actual streets, rather than sitting in a station waiting for a call. I dont know why there was so much outcry of Rural Gardai stations being closed down in areas with no crime and everyone knows each other. They were literally used for stamping forms for passports.

A more effective use of Gardai would move tons of the rural ones to Dublin, where there is actual crime and where they are needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

How about we tell all the decent people to vacate Dublin for a few days, basically non Dubs, then we go in with machine guns and take out all the trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

smash wrote: »
    Great way to waste more money we don't have.

why is it a waste of money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

No point if there is no follow up arrests and appropriate punishments. Not a slap on the wrist to add to the other 40 convictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mr_Red wrote: »
    why is it a waste of money?
    Because it's not needed! Plus, Public transport and train stations all have CCTV.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Because it's not needed! Plus, Public transport and train stations all have CCTV.

Which is not live data and monitored by the company themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

If you've nothing to hide you've nothing to fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, and broadcast in on its own tv channel. Probably better than Fair City.

What do you think OP? Should Waterford be 100% CCTV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

More gardai/removing the methadone clinics from the city centre would do a lot more than a few cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

jank wrote: »
    No point if there is no follow up arrests and appropriate punishments. Not a slap on the wrist to add to the other 40 convictions.

That's not very libertarian of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Laois6556 wrote: »
    How about we tell all the decent people to vacate Dublin for a few days, basically non Dubs, then we go in with machine guns and take out all the trash.

I'd be happy if only you left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think we should arm both north and south sides and close all the entrance roads.
    Problem should take care of itself over a year.

biko;92590964]Sure, and broadcast in on its own tv channel. Probably better than Fair City.

If your interested in watching

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

What do you think OP? Should Waterford be 100% CCTV?

Do you feel Waterford needs it? I feel Dublin needs it as I said in the OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

I think it's clear that Dubs are incapable of cleaning up their mess. It's up to the rest of us to sort it out. We could form a group: Culchies Unite Normalising Tramp Streets or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Nuke it from orbit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No, I dont wanna live like that. A few more gardai on the ground, removing addict facilities from the city centre and deducting fines at source from SW paymemts would see a big improvement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

It would be preferable if people were micro chipped and DNA sample kept on file. Then when a crime was committed anywhere, you could track down who was in the vicinity immediately, and then verify DNA. Think how much time would be saved, and if you were innocent it would be easy to prove.

I would say yes for anti social behavior. But knowing Dublin, it would be used for issuing fines for people going and coming from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Laois6556 wrote: »
    I think it's clear that Dubs are incapable of cleaning up their mess. It's up to the rest of us to sort it out. We could form a group: Culchies Unite Normalising Tramp Streets or something like that.

Good idea. It's not like you have anything better to do with your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

hfallada wrote: »
    Most of the city is monitored 24/7. A more effective policy would be having more Gardai on the actual streets, rather than sitting in a station waiting for a call. I dont know why there was so much outcry of Rural Gardai stations being closed down in areas with no crime and everyone knows each other. They were literally used for stamping forms for passports.

A more effective use of Gardai would move tons of the rural ones to Dublin, where there is actual crime and where they are needed.
    Operation freeflow isnt far away. Its gas looking at some poor culchie from a garda station in the back end of nowhere standing on the road at the O Connell monument like a rabbit in the headlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anyone familiar with Limerick City Centre over the last 20 years will appreciate the wonders of CCTV. Changed the place completely for the good. Put it in Dublin too.

It would be preferable if people were micro chipped and DNA sample kept on file. Then when a crime was committed anywhere, you could track down who was in the vicinity immediately, and then verify DNA. Think how much time would be saved, and if you were innocent it would be easy to prove.

And what if the "crime" is something that's bullshit? It wasn't long ago that homosexuality was outlawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah, nothing could possibly go wrong with being microchipped by the Government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Would it? What if the gardai/government were in it to stitch you up? Seems like it would things far easier for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Do we have the cash to spend it on this tech.Maybe hire more Gardai instead.O Connell street has loads of cameras and still they take heroin openly so cameras are not doing much to stop that.Boots on the ground and bigger sticks is what Gardai need.Start up a add or petition for more Garda from the sticks with bigger sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Good idea. It's not like you have anything better to do with your time.

I'd just be disappointed I wouldn't get to see the mess the country would become without Dublin to prop them up.

circadian wrote: »
    Yeah, nothing could possibly go wrong with being microchipped by the Government.
    Gods forbid that copyright lawyers ever get a hold of these microchip records.

Ask the folks in the Dublin City forum. I'm sure the people of Mayo or Clare don't care much for this thread :)

As always, if you're going to post in another forum, ensure you read their charter before doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement