Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work from home jobs??

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

hello.
    I am looking for some information about working from home, i have 2 kids so it is not possible for me to work away from home, but i would really like to earn some money as it would really help us i have a ECDL certificate so i know my way around computers i am quite fast at typing also. The problem is anything i find online seems to be a scam, if anybody could provide me with some genuine links or information that would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

hello.
    I am looking for some information about working from home, i have 2 kids so it is not possible for me to work away from home, but i would really like to earn some money as it would really help us i have a ECDL certificate so i know my way around computers i am quite fast at typing also. The problem is anything i find online seems to be a scam, if anybody could provide me with some genuine links or information that would be greatly appreciated
    What are you expectations?
    A standard salaried role where you could work at home form 9-5 or some ad-hoc work that you can do at any time that suits you for a fee?

Ultimately if you have two kids, you'd need to have childcare sorted for them for the former type of role as there is no way you can work from home in a salaried role AND mind two kids at the same time.
    (Lots of people have kids and work away from home by the way)

Apple were hiring over the past few years, looking specificilly for people to work from home. There's a thread in here on it. Techie type job though and would require your attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sprangebeanie

I would prefer something i can do in my own time a well as weekends. I cannit work away from home as i have a 3 year old and a 1 year old and if i were to work and put them in a creche my work pay would not even cover the cost of a creche. i don't have any family support either so there is no one to mind them except me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You're looking for the holy grail unfortunately. There are jobs out there, but they primarily come by word of mouth. I'd say a rough 90% of "work from home" jobs advertised on the internet are scams/pyramid schemes of some kind.

Typing is no longer the unique skill that it once was. In the past you could could always pick up a bit of typing here and there by advertising at colleges/universities, but with the accessibility of computers, most students will type their own work faster these days.

If you have excellent spelling/grammar, would you consider offering proof-reading? Some students, particularly those with English as a second language, will still want some proof-reading done, but this is a skill not everyone has. Good spelling/grammar alone won't cut it.

Check out Amazon's Mechanical Turk. People put up jobs there that need humans, and generally have a time limit in mind. Payment varies considerably - some jobs pay as little as a few cents. The kind of work involved could be "take this scanned hand written expenses list and put it in a spreadsheet" or "type out a transcript of this 1h video. The benefit is that you can check it out in your own time (when the kids are in bed, for example) and see what's on offer right that moment. In order to build up your rankings/ratings, you may need to take on some of the badly paying jobs in order to qualify yourself for the better paying tasks later.

Are you fluent in any other languages besides English? Translation work can sometimes be done from home.

Local solicitors/doctors sometimes (very rarely) have notes that they want typed up. Discretion is of primary importance for those (and most of the time they already have people doing this kind of stuff), so you'd need to have a chat with the doctor/solicitor themselves, and don't be surprised if they say no.

Think about the local businesses nearby, and your skill sets. For example, if you're an accountant you could offer to keep a small businesses accounts up to date from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

http://www.redclive.ie/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fdefault.aspx

http://irishopinions.com

They're not quite 'jobs', but they can bring in a bit of pocket money by using quiet times on your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

can you knit, crochet or sew? You could make things to sell on etsy or in your local community

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I remember seeing an article about online Personal Assistants. If memory serves, this company was based in India but you'd sign up and give them a list of things to do, like booking cinema tickets, plumbers for busy professional types and you'd have your own assigned PA who would give you a status update on their tasks.

I don't know how well this pays and you're going to have to look up more details about it yourself, but if you are good with MS Office, this might be worth looking into?

Advertisement