Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispose of radiators

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

We got two new radiators fitted and we were told to bring the old ones to O’Reilly Recycling in Rosemount. After two emails with no reply to the second and an abrupt phone call to someone I’ve been told it costs to collect them (the vans literally would pass us)

I have a car, but with the nature of radiators I don’t fancy water leaking in my car (you can only drain or plug them so much). I know I won’t get money for them.

Can anyone recommend a place?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Coolmine recycling centre will take them, but you still have to get them there!
    Keep emptying them out, with the drains at the bottom until no more water comes out, then transport them with the drain holes up and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

jeffk wrote: »
    We got two new radiators fitted and we were told to bring the old ones to O’Reilly Recycling in Rosemount. After two emails with no reply to the second and an abrupt phone call to someone I’ve been told it costs to collect them (the vans literally would pass us)

I have a car, but with the nature of radiators I don’t fancy water leaking in my car (you can only drain or plug them so much). I know I won’t get money for them.

Can anyone recommend a place?
    Thanks in advance

Jesus Jeff, I got a bit worried when I seen the subject title !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

dodzy wrote: »
    Jesus Jeff, I got a bit worried when I seen the subject title !

Dam you ms word,to be clear its radiators :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I fixded it for you!

Gaspode wrote: »
    I fixded it for you!

Ah no!

I preferred this :D

325136.jpg

• Advertisement

good to see a bit of banter

gaspode must not have a spell checker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

If you stick them up on adverts for free or jumble town someone will check them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How old are they? try adverts first. I had very old rads, cut the top/bottom of them and bent them in 1/2 and put them in the next skip i got.

If your transporting by car, there will always be a little black water left inside, so you could re-fit two old rad valves if you have them. Or try put a cork in each side, but still wrap the outlets with plastic bags + tape.

They must be about 40 years old (guessing they came with the house) and after the hassle we had of trying to sell/give away a couch etc on adverts I’d rather dump them now

I am going to take the carpet out of the boot to be sure and do what people suggest with bags etc, then get someone to hold them in place to the short journey to Coolmine ind est.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

If anyone plans on going to Coolmine recycling bring a credit card or find a scrap yard(if free).
    €8 on credit card vs €9 something bin tag

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    good to see a bit of banter

gaspode must not have a spell checker

Nope, just say it in the voice of Ralph from Simpsons, then it's right! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I would of thought these would have been worth a few quid as scrap metal. There is definitely lads who do the rounds picking up scrap metal and getting a few quid for it at the scrap/recycle centers. I also would have assumed radiators would yield a decent return, due to their weight.

HungryJoey wrote: »
    I would of thought these would have been worth a few quid as scrap metal. There is definitely lads who do the rounds picking up scrap metal and getting a few quid for it at the scrap/recycle centers. I also would have assumed radiators would yield a decent return, due to their weight.
    Yep, we all know who they are.....

Advertisement