Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gradually stopping Breastfeeding a 10 month old. Any tips?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Looking for some advice. I have been breastfeeding my baby since day 1. We also co-sleep although we have no gotten to a point where he will nap in his cot and will go down to bed in his cot but at some point between 1 and 3am in the night he demands to come into the bed.

Im just not even sure where to begin in the weaning him of the boob process. I have gotten a job and am back to work in a week and while I am happy to feed him a little for comfort morning and evening for another few months. He is feeding all night and I am really not getting any sleep and its not sustainable :( Also, just to make matters worse, he is teething a lot and doing a lot of biting and its really make me scared when feeding him.

He will sometimes takes erxpressed milk from a bottle (when desperate though he will usually just drink water and wait it out for me!). He has no interest whatsoever in formula. I know you are supposed to wait until 12 months for cows milk but he is a good eater and has a good diet so i was thinking of maybe introducing that as a drink from next month on.

Does anyone have any tips for me or similar experiences in the past?? He is a stubborn guy! It took WEEKS just to get to where we are at with the cot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

closifer wrote: »
    Looking for some advice. I have been breastfeeding my baby since day 1. We also co-sleep although we have no gotten to a point where he will nap in his cot and will go down to bed in his cot but at some point between 1 and 3am in the night he demands to come into the bed.

Im just not even sure where to begin in the weaning him of the boob process. I have gotten a job and am back to work in a week and while I am happy to feed him a little for comfort morning and evening for another few months. He is feeding all night and I am really not getting any sleep and its not sustainable :( Also, just to make matters worse, he is teething a lot and doing a lot of biting and its really make me scared when feeding him.

He will sometimes takes erxpressed milk from a bottle (when desperate though he will usually just drink water and wait it out for me!). He has no interest whatsoever in formula. I know you are supposed to wait until 12 months for cows milk but he is a good eater and has a good diet so i was thinking of maybe introducing that as a drink from next month on.

Does anyone have any tips for me or similar experiences in the past?? He is a stubborn guy! It took WEEKS just to get to where we are at with the cot.

Mine is the same age. My wife stopped feeding him at 9 months as she was in hospital. We have him on sma 2. Found it better than cow and gate whose main Ingredient is lactose. Ie Sugar

Mine is the same age. My wife stopped feeding him at 9 months as she was in hospital. We have him on sma 2. Found it better than cow and gate whose main Ingredient is lactose. Ie Sugar

She expressed for him from the start but find now that the teat matters

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

She expressed for him from the start but find now that the teat matters

Thanks for the info. Do you know which bottle/teat has worked out best?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I wouldn't introduce milk as a drink: it can inhibit iron absorption so it's really not to be recommended.

What I did was to break routines: so if we fed first thing in the morning the second she woke up we got up and went straight downstairs for breakfast. C was over 12 months so I did use milk... Gave a sippy cup of milk and made bedtime a bit later so she was very tired. Let her have boob but the sippy cup too: she soon preferred the cup. I wore high necked tops, and that helped too. Can your partner help to cut the night feeds? Cuddles instead of boob. It would really help. If you could sleep in a different room for a few nights too.

I was pregnant and she was 15 months but she was totally weaned in a fortnight. It was about keeping busy and breaking all routines that was the key here.

cyning wrote: »
    I wouldn't introduce milk as a drink: it can inhibit iron absorption so it's really not to be recommended.

What I did was to break routines: so if we fed first thing in the morning the second she woke up we got up and went straight downstairs for breakfast. C was over 12 months so I did use milk... Gave a sippy cup of milk and made bedtime a bit later so she was very tired. Let her have boob but the sippy cup too: she soon preferred the cup. I wore high necked tops, and that helped too. Can your partner help to cut the night feeds? Cuddles instead of boob. It would really help. If you could sleep in a different room for a few nights too.

I was pregnant and she was 15 months but she was totally weaned in a fortnight. It was about keeping busy and breaking all routines that was the key here.

Thanks for the advice. I know I do need to bite the bullet and sleep in another room. I just know it will mean my partner not getting a wink of sleep and he is working really long hours in work so i feel awful about it.

Re the milk - i know what you are saying about the iron. I just wonder if in actuality 11 months vs 12 months makes any real difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks for the advice. I know I do need to bite the bullet and sleep in another room. I just know it will mean my partner not getting a wink of sleep and he is working really long hours in work so i feel awful about it.

Re the milk - i know what you are saying about the iron. I just wonder if in actuality 11 months vs 12 months makes any real difference?

I guess from my point of view I had a ten month old who was anaemic and i was asked what felt like 40 times in the hosp how much she was drinking (none) and how much in food etc. So I'm paranoid about it!

It will only be for a few nights could he take 2-3 days holidays maybe?

We always used nuk to prevent Colic but he now prefers the normal round topped teat.
    I can't explain the change in preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I night weaned both of my kids at 11 months as I was exhausted from constant night waking and feeding. My son was quite ok about it. I got my husband to take him up and cuddle him. By the second night he wasn't mooching anymore and his sleep improved immediately. My daughter was a bit more upset and we had 3 or 4 nights of screaming and being very distressed but by the end of the week she'd cuddle up to me without looking for a feed. Again, my husband had to take her when she woke, cuddle her and generally reassure her. Once we night weaned her she did start sleeping a lot better. I followed the Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution to sleep train her and cut out the feeds. I definitely recommend it; it worked for us and we went from an all night snacked who never slept more than 4 hours to a baby who could sleep through (occasionally!) within 4 weeks.

I introduced a sippy cup of cows milk for both of them at 11 months too. I was breastfeeding but I found that feed when I picked them up from crèche too stressful so I started giving a cup of milk instead.

I night weaned both of my kids at 11 months as I was exhausted from constant night waking and feeding. My son was quite ok about it. I got my husband to take him up and cuddle him. By the second night he wasn't mooching anymore and his sleep improved immediately. My daughter was a bit more upset and we had 3 or 4 nights of screaming and being very distressed but by the end of the week she'd cuddle up to me without looking for a feed. Again, my husband had to take her when she woke, cuddle her and generally reassure her. Once we night weaned her she did start sleeping a lot better. I followed the Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution to sleep train her and cut out the feeds. I definitely recommend it; it worked for us and we went from an all night snacked who never slept more than 4 hours to a baby who could sleep through (occasionally!) within 4 weeks.

I introduced a sippy cup of cows milk for both of them at 11 months too. I was breastfeeding but I found that feed when I picked them up from crèche too stressful so I started giving a cup of milk instead.

Thanks for the info. It feel insurmountable at the moment but I know we will get there. Its nice to hear from others who have been through the same thing!

Advertisement