Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher 4th March 2015 3 Arena Dublin

Options

Comments

I loved it but it was a lesson in not releasing your album 5 days before your tour...the 2 singles were brilliantly received and the songs off the first album were really good too but it was just annoying that people hadn't got the time to get to know the new songs which took the wind out of it at points.

but I really enjoy it, shout out loud! ridiculous and champagne supernova acoustic is just something I will remember forever, moving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Definitley annoying when an album is released a couple of days before the tour.]

I'd love to know who the guy beside me was who stood there with his phone in hand recording Champagne Supernova. Why did you buy a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Definitley annoying when an album is released a couple of days before the tour.]

I'd love to know who the guy beside me was who stood there with his phone in hand recording Champagne Supernova. Why did you buy a ticket?

In fairness, there's a video of that song included in this thread, a few posts earlier.

Many people like to look back at footage of gigs they attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Two people in front of me watched the whole gig through their phone screen.

It just cannot be that enjoyable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Agree that releasing the album a week or so before a tour is not the greatest timing, especially when you intend to play so many of the songs from it. The choir was absurd in that no use was really made of them. Looked and sounded like an after thought. Major bugbear of mine is when crowds are clearly up for it and they don't get rewarded with an encore or two. I think it leaves a sour taste with fans and they can go away not all that impressed with a gig they loved 90% of. I know some don't agree and feel the whole rigmarole of encores somewhat contrived and cliched but I disagree, I think they are a necessity and serve a purpose.. unless the crowd have been overall unresponsive or something, in which case, neh bother.

All and all, I enjoyed it but I wouldn't fork out that much for a ticket to see him again tbh.

The Guinness was slop, but sure we knew that..

Here's the set list:

https://twitter.com/NoelGallagher/status/573250648159993856

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

This was my 6th time seeing Noel here and that was easily his worst gig. I think that's the least amount of Oasis stuff he's played. The crowd were well up for it and he was a bit flat. Will go again but left a little disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Not G.R wrote: »
    This was my 6th time seeing Noel here and that was easily his worst gig. I think that's the least amount of Oasis stuff he's played. The crowd were well up for it and he was a bit flat. Will go again but left a little disappointed.

It's not a f**king oasis gig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Two people in front of me watched the whole gig through their phone screen.

It just cannot be that enjoyable

Can beat that, the guy beside me was watching the Liverpool match on his phone at the same time, he kept moving to either side of me to get better signal/4G (I assume).

Was a very fun gig, I think €40 would have sufficed, when my friend told me the actual cost, I was a bit taken aback.

In fairness, Champagne Supernova on acoustic with a choir will go down in my memories :)

Next time he should release a new album a month beforehand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Think I'm the only person who's glad he played less Oasis stuff. Love Oasis and he will always have to touch on it but I would rather hear the new songs live than mostly a set of Oasis songs. The new album (and old for that mater) are cool records and deserve their own merit. The Mexican, You Know We Can't Go Back, Everybody's On The Run and Riverman were incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

yeah Oasis are my favorite band, but people should realise now they have been broken up 5 years. If you want to watch Oasis, watch a dvd. I thought it was a good gig, worth it alone for Champagne Supernova.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

It was a class gig. So much fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Saganist wrote: »
    Cracking gig, even if I thought there were quite a few younger lads who looked quite out of it.

He really got through the songs really quickly.

Heres a snip of Supernova if anyone is interested.

Oh no the ole olers were out?!

36BB11F28.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

wawaman wrote: »
    yeah Oasis are my favorite band, but people should realise now they have been broken up 5 years.

In fairness, Noel Gallagher pretty much is Oasis. Vast majority of their songs are his songs in fairness. Sure Liam rarely turned up for gigs and they are renowned for being some of 'Oasis's' best gigs. The vast majority of people there last night paid the price they did, in the numbers they did, because of those songs, lets be real now. Imo (etc etc) on the back of that set list and somewhat lackluster performance, were he to play the Three arena again next year, he'd struggle to fill place anywhere near as much as he did last night.

Look, I don't think anyone expected a night of nothing but songs he recorded with Oasis, and just a sprinkle of HFB material, but they sure as hell expect, and should get imo, four or five of them. It's different if your new stuff is on a par or close to it (success wise) with your old stuff (Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters springs to mind as a rare example) but otherwise, were you go to a Paul McCartney gig for example, you'd of course expect a few Beatles and Wings tracks. It goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

There were at least 4 Oasis songs??

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I'm not surprised to hear mixed reports about this gig. The new album is incredibly weak IMO. There is a real lack of creativity on this record, it's very standard Noel Gallagher songwriting, only this time it sounds like something he threw together over a wet weekend. The lyrics are especially non-sensical drivel. For a man who puts himself high in the echelon of great British songwriters, this is incredibly poor. The songs wind up going nowhere, it's a totally irrelevant record which will disappear into the depths of history once the sychophantic cheers die down.

Noel at 47 seems to be coasting by contently, maintained by his reputation from his songwriting in his Oasis days and legion of fans who will chant "god. God. God" at the stage despite what might be going on up there.

There is no denying Noel was once an integral and exciting part of British music, but this is long since history. I'd love to see Noel get his finger out and deliver an album that lives up to his reputation!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I enjoyed the gig, but wasn't blown away by it, preferred his first gig in the O2 in 2011.

Was glad he kept the Oasis songs to a minimum also, but loved Champagne Supernova/The Masterplan performances.

As many have said, the fact that the album was only released on Friday may have killed the crowd a little bit, due to people not being familiar with the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

In fairness, Noel Gallagher pretty much is Oasis. Vast majority of their songs are his songs in fairness. Sure Liam rarely turned up for gigs and they are renowned for being some of 'Oasis's' best gigs. The vast majority of people there last night paid the price they did, in the numbers they did, because of those songs, lets be real now. Imo (etc etc) on the back of that set list and somewhat lackluster performance, were he to play the Three arena again next year, he'd struggle to fill place anywhere near as much as he did last night.

Look, I don't think anyone expected a night of nothing but songs he recorded with Oasis, and just a sprinkle of HFB material, but they sure as hell expect, and should get imo, four or five of them. It's different if your new stuff is on a par or close to it (success wise) with your old stuff (Dave Grohl, Foo Fighters springs to mind as a rare example) but otherwise, were you go to a Paul McCartney gig for example, you'd of course expect a few Beatles and Wings tracks. It goes without saying.

He did play five. I don't think you can complain. I wanted to hear the new tracks

He played 6 :)
    Fade Away
    Digsy's Dinner
    Shout It Out Loud
    Champagne Supernova
    Don't Look Back In Anger
    The Masterplan

More than enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

He played 6 :)
    Fade Away
    Digsy's Dinner
    Shout It Out Loud
    Champagne Supernova
    Don't Look Back In Anger
    The Masterplan

More than enough!

Exactly. He's never played more oasis songs than he did last night.
    Weird complaint to have.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

3arena-Liam-Noel-Gallagher.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Great gig. Great album.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

wawaman wrote: »
    yeah Oasis are my favorite band, but people should realise now they have been broken up 5 years. If you want to watch Oasis, watch a dvd. I thought it was a good gig, worth it alone for Champagne Supernova.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I thought it was a great gig. Was an excellent performance and was a good balanced blend of Oasis and HFB's two albums.

Like most, I'd only heard the first two singles of the new album.

Masterplan was a highlight; one of my favourite Oasis tracks and a brilliant rendition of it. That was worth the admission price alone imo.

Regarding Noel's albums compared to times past, that is a reasonable evolution in a songwriter's career. I'm a big Morrissey/Smiths fan. I was at Mozza in the Point in December. Vocally, he was as good as I've heard him in years. But there was a real lull in the gig due to the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the songs on his current album. The highlights of that gig (for this middle aged punter) were his beautiful version of "Asleep" and hearing "Suedehead" live for the first time in donkey's years. He also finished on a high with "Everyday is like Sunday". All songs from the Smiths or early Morrissey.

Similarly, seeing Ian Brown sing Roses songs (before they reformed) at his solo gigs was joyful as I never thought I'd see them live again.

No surprise then that Don't Look Back in Anger, Fade Away, Diggsy, Champagne Supernova and Masterplan got great reaction last night.

I thought he was excellent. (but he's no Mozza or Johnny Marr ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Noel Gallagher would be the first to agree with me, when I say, Oasis were never fit to lace The Smiths boots!

I think all the grumbling in relation to the apparent lack of Oasis songs played is in relation to the song choices, I bet the average punter thought "Shout it out Loud" was a High Flying Birds song. I'm glad to see this tune make a comeback! It stands firmly among the lengthy list of legendary Oasis b-sides!

Digsy Diner has always been a nonsense track for me, and the only real blip on Definitely Maybe! Didn't Noel even say he hated that song a few years back!?!

Fade Away is another b-side, as is / was The Masterplan, which along with Don't Look Back in Anger will remain crowd pleasing staples of Noel's setlist for the forseeible! The only real surprise was an acoustic and very much stripped down version of Champagne Supernova, which was done with Supersonic on the last tour.

People always piss me off when they feel they have the right to dictate what songs the artists play! If cast no shadow, rock and roll star, live forever and morning glory were on the setlist there wouldn't be any grumbling!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

Anybody else notice the Pictures displayed during Fade Away? There were lots of pictures obviously from his Summers in Mayo as a young lad, and some from Manchester too. The man is getting old and reflective.

Regarding the gig, I'm a huge NG fan and he always fly's through the set list, not one for idle chit chat and that nonsense with the crowd. Played enough Oasis songs, and the balance was quite good IMO. I had not heard the new stuff and some of them sounded excellent.

For the people complaining that the songs are not as good as Oasis stuff, they were written by a young man under the influence of god knows what without a care in the world. How you think a 47 Year Old man with 3 kids living with his missus for the past 15 years is going to still write the same stuff as then is beyond me.

NG is what he is now, and I for one still think as a live performer he is top quality and you always know what your going to get. If that's a problem, then I guess ive missed the point somewhere along the line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

The acoustic version of The Dying of the Light was incredible, made my night!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,661 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭whatever_

Tilly wrote: »
    It was a class gig. So much fun :)

With respect, you need to get out more.

I see a lot of stuff at the 3 Arena, and he misjudged it ; it was flat for too long, and he needed to put another one or two Oasis Anthems between Champagne Supernova and DLBIA in there to lift it. Digsy's Dinner was in there (next to his new stuff) to show us how he has progressed as a songwriter rather than to lift the crowd.

I also agree with all the people who say the new album was released too close to the date of the gig, but I don't think that would have made a lot of difference. I do like his new stuff and this is the third time I have seen his solo show.

I will buy his next album, but I won't bother to go to any of his gigs again until the reformation.

My guess is he will adjust the set list soon, or he will face booing in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So no announcement at the end of his gig from Noel that he's headlining the Picnic then.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

really enjoyed the gig and Im glad there wern't any more oasis songs to be honest. Enjoying the new album and as the tour is in support of that album its not surprising that a lot of the set was drawn form it.

He's criticised one minute for not progressing / evolving his music too much and playing it safe then you get other people wanting him to draw most of the set from the 90's. The guy cant win...

Advertisement