Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher 4th March 2015 3 Arena Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Really enjoyed both gigs he played in Ireland. Crowd was far better in Dublin.

People complaining about him not playing enough Oasis tunes; what do you expect him to do? Tour Definitely Maybe and WTSMG for ever more? He's just released a new album, it makes sense for him to play songs from it.

Hopefully he returns to Ireland for a summer festival slot, as the Point is a warm, ****ty venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I remember Noel complaining in the past about artists not playing their best songs, think he spoke about Radiohead not playing Creep and just doing lots of new stuff so I don't think its surprising people would expect him to play Oasis stuff. I think 6 Oasis songs is enough tbh, just could have been better ones. He played Whatever at V Festival two years ago and the place went nuts for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

He is singing songs that suit him. I mean Cigarettes and Alcohol is mega... as long as Liam sings it.

The Masterplan was epic both nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Loved it, brilliant gig imo.

Perfect mix between Oasis songs and his newer stuff.

I don't like it when people only watch the show through their phone, but sometimes it's great that at least a few people do it:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's a shame he's not playing The Right Stuff. It's the best song on the new album by a country mile. I guess it's because he doesn't have the female vocalist on tour with him? Id love if he played Falling Down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I remember Noel complaining in the past about artists not playing their best songs, think he spoke about Radiohead not playing Creep and just doing lots of new stuff so I don't think its surprising people would expect him to play Oasis stuff. I think 6 Oasis songs is enough tbh, just could have been better ones. He played Whatever at V Festival two years ago and the place went nuts for it.

Amongst others, he played The Masterplan, Champagne Supernova, and Don't Look Back In Anger.
    I mean honestly what more would anyone expect?

I don't get this line of thought at all

nm wrote: »
    Amongst others, he played The Masterplan, Champagne Supernova, and Don't Look Back In Anger.
    I mean honestly what more would anyone expect?

I don't get this line of thought at all

Well he played 6, those 3 were fine, not so sure about the other 3. Fade Away and Shout it Out Loud are miles off the best Oasis' best songs. Digsy's Dinner is a great song but it's a Liam song really. There are better Oasis songs he could play but thats all about opinions. My main problem is that a chunk of his set were songs that were only released two days before. Why not release the album a few weeks before the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ts_editor

:eek:
    broadsheet.ie/2015/03/05/if-i-had-a-gun/

The best part of this is the comments section.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

He's coming to the Marquee in Cork on July 14th :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Isn't the main reason you tour to usually promote the new album??

He gives fans 6 Oasis tracks and yet some of the fans still moan.

Great Gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

It makes perfect sense for the number of Oasis songs in the setlist to keep reducing the more solo stuff he realeases.

Noel wants to be viewed as a current artist and not a rehashing greatest hits jukebox, which is admirable. The only kicker is his new album is dire.

I presume the album went down in a live setting like a lead balloon from all the grumbling on here. I hope not getting enough time to listen to the album before the gig was a good incentif for the chatty cathy's to shut up and listen to the music!

Mallagio wrote: »
    Isn't the main reason you tour to usually promote the new album??

He gives fans 6 Oasis tracks and yet some of the fans still moan.

Great Gig

The main reason I pay 50 odd quid to go to a gig certainly isn't for someone to advertise something to me!

The main reason I pay 50 odd quid to go to a gig certainly isn't for someone to advertise something to me!

I've no comeback to that omg.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

So by your logic he should just tour, play only Oasis songs and never write anything new again. Christ, that would get stale fast.

It makes perfect sense for the number of Oasis songs in the setlist to keep reducing the more solo stuff he realeases.

He didn't reduce the number of oasis songs at all though, that's the thing that makes the complaints seriously odd

DylanAFC wrote: »
    So by your logic he should just tour, play only Oasis songs and never write anything new again. Christ, that would get stale fast.

My last comment was in response to the statement that the whole point of tours was to promote an album. I disagree with that. As I've said a few times already here I have absolutely no problem with him playing new songs, nor do I have an issue with the number of oasis songs he played. In my opinion the oasis songs he chose could have been better, others will disagree and that's fine. I just think they could have given us a bit more time to listen to the new stuff. Why couldn't they release the album even a week or two earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pinkman

I enjoyed the gig but it was nowhere near as good as the last time he played The Point. The flow of the setlist was wrong and it was obviously a mistake not to wait a while so people know the new album. Some of those tracks are great live anthems especially Lock all the door and You know you can't go back and it would've been great to see everyone sing along to them more. Champagne Supernova was just brilliant as was The Masterplan. Why he waste two of the Oasis tracks on Digsey's Diner and Shout It Out Loud? Should have played Importance Of Being Idle and done a few other big Oasis classics he left off the last tour like Don't Go Away, Slide Away, Cast No Shadow, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Live Forever etc. I'd have loved to have hear D'Yknow What I Mean and Lord Don't Slow Me Down. The material from the first album really fit in as classics now - Everybody On The Gun and If I Had A Gun in particular. My main complaint about the gig is the length. An hour and a half is way too short, especially considering the extra cost of tickets this time around. Wouldn't exactly have taken much energy to do a few more Oasis songs acoustically for another 20 minutes or so. Even a few more new tracks - The Song Remains The Same, X-Ray Eyes, Freeky Teeth, Record Machine, The Right Stuff. This will probably be the exact same setlist in a years time though. The anti-Springsteen is what Noel is.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I don't like it when people only watch the show through their phone, but sometimes it's great that at least a few people do it:

I believe it was Ian Brown that said, "What you have there mate, is the memory of an experience you never had!"
    Noel wants to be viewed as a current artist and not a rehashing greatest hits jukebox, which is admirable. The only kicker is his new album is dire.

It's a slow burner but I'm actually really liking it.

All in all, a very good gig, you know what you're going to get with a Noel Gallagher gig. I really enjoyed his first gig in the Olympia, but this wasn't too far off. But as others have said, less than a week to listen to the new album wasn't long enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Gig was very good, I had the new album for a couple of weeks before it came out so was very familiar with the songs, loved it and I think the new album is actually better then the first tbh, it grows on you. To anyone criticizing the lyrics, he has neevr been about that. In his own words the most important thing to him when writing a song is the "tune" and the album is catchy as hell in that regard

Dunno what people want when it comes to the classics from Oasis, he played 6, 4 of them are brilliant songs whatever you wanna say about the others and he likes to change around which Oasis ones he does, he is also very clear that it is not an Oasis classics night you will be going to. Whatever ones you get are a bonus but he is there to play his current stuff make no mistake. If that is not what you are in to then I dunno how you could justify the expense....

Noel was Noel, little talk, gets through the set list quick and ****s off. Wouldn't expect anything else :)

I think his tickets are a bit steep at times, but I always enjoy his shows and as long as he is touring I will be there. I would agree that releasing the album so close to the gig is not the best idea.

He didn't reduce the number of oasis songs at all though, that's the thing that makes the complaints seriously odd

Olympia - 9 Oasis tunes

O2 - 9 Oasis tunes

Marlay Park - 7 Oasis tunes

3 Arena - 6 Oasis tunes

I'll leave that to you to figure out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Wouldn't that to be expected as he gets more solo material?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Olympia - 9 Oasis tunes

O2 - 9 Oasis tunes

3 Arena - 6 Oasis tunes

THe only reason he doesnt do as many Oasis tunes is because now he has 2 albums out which is fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SuperBW

So who's going to the Cork gig?

Oh wait the Dubs won't travelðŸ˜႒

I presume the album went down in a live setting like a lead balloon from all the grumbling on here. I hope not getting enough time to listen to the album before the gig was a good incentif for the chatty cathy's to shut up and listen to the music!

Olympia - 9 Oasis tunes

O2 - 9 Oasis tunes

3 Arena - 6 Oasis tunes

This is the post I was addressing.
    Why is everybody repeating my point as if I was arguing against it?!? :confused:

SuperBW wrote: »

I've been to the Cork marque numerous times, I have given up on it in recent years, as its an absolutely shocking venue for sound!
    If you care about the music I'd give this one a miss. Its a real pity as Cork is a great city and the atmosphere in the venue is amazing. I however have been to too many gigs there with abysmal sound!

Off topic slightly, listening to the album in full properly and it moves along very smooth.

Really enjoying it but there's a track on there that is definitely a rip-off of Pink Floyd's SOYCD.

Different from him but very very good.

SuperBW wrote: »

I'd definitely be up for a trip for a gig, even to Langerville. Not on a Tuesday though and not when he's just played here already.

Noel always seems to over do it in Ireland when he's touring. What was it on the last tour, 4 times or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

I'd definitely be up for a trip for a gig, even to Langerville. Not on a Tuesday though and not when he's just played here already.

Noel always seems to over do it in Ireland when he's touring. What was it on the last tour, 4 times or something?

6 actually :P

Olympia
    O2
    Odyssey
    Croker
    Belsonic
    Marlay Park

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

JackMcA wrote: »
    6 actually :P

Olympia
    O2
    Odyssey
    Croker
    Belsonic
    Marlay Park

You're such a republican :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Its a pity the live at the marquee gig is a Tuesday haven't a hope of getting anyone to go to Cork on a Tuesday evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Cyclewizard

Pinkman wrote: »
    I enjoyed the gig but it was nowhere near as good as the last time he played The Point. The flow of the setlist was wrong and it was obviously a mistake not to wait a while so people know the new album. Some of those tracks are great live anthems especially Lock all the door and You know you can't go back and it would've been great to see everyone sing along to them more. Champagne Supernova was just brilliant as was The Masterplan. Why he waste two of the Oasis tracks on Digsey's Diner and Shout It Out Loud? Should have played Importance Of Being Idle and done a few other big Oasis classics he left off the last tour like Don't Go Away, Slide Away, Cast No Shadow, Where Did It All Go Wrong, Live Forever etc. I'd have loved to have hear D'Yknow What I Mean and Lord Don't Slow Me Down. The material from the first album really fit in as classics now - Everybody On The Gun and If I Had A Gun in particular. My main complaint about the gig is the length. An hour and a half is way too short, especially considering the extra cost of tickets this time around. Wouldn't exactly have taken much energy to do a few more Oasis songs acoustically for another 20 minutes or so. Even a few more new tracks - The Song Remains The Same, X-Ray Eyes, Freeky Teeth, Record Machine, The Right Stuff. This will probably be the exact same setlist in a years time though. The anti-Springsteen is what Noel is.:pac:

im glad he played shout it out loud, problem with a lot of the 'classics' you refer to from my point of view is iv heard them to death!

Advertisement