Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esata Enclosure - what size required and where to buy?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Windows 8.1 / 64bit.

Hi,

I have one of these...

https://www.lacie.com/ie/support/support_manifest.htm?id=10313

...which is no longer recognized by my computer (I've tried it with another cable, and I've tried it on another computer. They don't work either. Any suggestions? Thanks.)

LaCie said they will replace or repair. But, I will lose all the data.

I'd like to try the drives in another enclosure first.

What size enclosure do I need and where can I buy one?

Links would be appreciated.

Thanks as always.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the problem you have is (assuming you have 4 disks in it) that it's going to be one single large raid volume made up of 4 disks, which are very likely using an (at least partially) proprietary raid implementation, so it's unlikely that the data will be easily recoverable in anything but another 4big quadra enclosure.

probably not impossible, but unlikely to be easy imho.

if it was me, i'd be tempted to pull the disks out (label them 1-4 so you can put them back in the right order) and then check them individually to make sure they are all functioning and also try another disk in the quadra to see if it shows up.

that way you will have a better idea if it's the enclosure not the drives and if it's the enclosure, ask lacie to send you a new enclosure with no drives in it and throw them into the new enclosure, then go through their raid recovery process with it.

the specs say that it's usb, firewire and esata? have you tried different TYPES of cables or just another USB cable? it could just be the usb port or controller is knackered on the enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭whizbang

You can use any standard USB enclosure to read each drive in turn, and decide if its working or not.
    As above, the data might be unusable, but the disk will show up, and you can run disk checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks guys.

Took the unit to the dealer this morning and they think that the problem may be with the power supply. It's just not getting enough.

They're going to try it with another cable tomorrow and let me know.

I've only got USB 2.0 on my computers, so I've not been able to try FireWire.

It didn't work on the dealer's Mac via USB either this morning.

Thanks.

D.

Advertisement