Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Reading books on 6 / 6+

• 13-10-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Any regular readers in here?

I have a thirty minute train journey every day and I usually juggle between my iPad for reading and my 4s to txt etc.

Reading on the plus seems very comfortable and the text looks great. The 6 looks ok too but as a regular reader I don't know if so much reading would be bad for my eyes or maybe that's just an old wives tale.

My phone gets minimal use for calls and texts. My iPad gets minimal use apart from the books so in theory one "phablet" would be best and I would always have the Internet just a click away instead of my daily juggling.

Of course I will keep popping in to the shops to demo them and get a feel.

Any user experience would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭squonk

I've used Flipboard so far on my new 6 and it's quite nice. I haven't tried books but I'd say it'd be doable but you'd probably want a 6+ for regular, intensive reading I'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

squonk wrote: »
    I've used Flipboard so far on my new 6 and it's quite nice. I haven't tried books but I'd say it'd be doable but you'd probably want a 6+ for regular, intensive reading I'd think.

The backlit screens are a lot more tiring in your eyes
    If your a reader get a kindle paper white
    Sporadic reading maybe different
    My missus is a big reader
    If you read in bed it doesn't light up the room either iPad etc does

She thinks it's the best thing I ever gave her bar none...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I've been reading books for years on my iPhone 5. Marvin is the best app. Great for the eyes and it's always available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

soundsham wrote: »

Triple press the home button to invert the colours.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

soundsham wrote: »

I'm used to reading on my ipad mini and don't have any tiredness or soreness of the eyes. I never use auto brightness as it goes way to bright for me. I'm used to inverting the colours too in bed if I need. Just more concerned with text size but I know I can bump that up too.
    I'm more and more interested in the plus now that I think about it. Always needing a manbag or coat to carry it around is the biggest hangup.
    So often I slip the 4s into my pocket and head out the door with just jeans and a tshirt but I think i'll have to readjust.

Others readers opinions still welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Piliger wrote: »
    I've been reading books for years on my iPhone 5. Marvin is the best app. Great for the eyes and it's always available.

Just had a look. Looks nice but all my books so far are from itunes so just use ibooks app. i know lots or people have all the epub stuff from Amazon and other sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Just had a look. Looks nice but all my books so far are from itunes so just use ibooks app. i know lots or people have all the epub stuff from Amazon and other sources.

No. Amazon uses their own format. iBooks mostly uses ePub. But then you may not have stripped the DRM, so I understand. The reason I mentioned Marvin is it's functions and adjustable night view.

Advertisement