Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intimadating looking dogs to keep away intruders

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Rhodesian ridgeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Well you have two options if you are set on a shep. Either adopt from the pound or a rescue, or start the search for a very reputable breeder with a (rightfully) high adoption fee and a huge waiting list to avoid getting a pup who's back legs are so buckled they could camouflage themselves on a lily pond.
    Then you run the risk that a big, "intimidating" dog could be exactly what these scoundrels are looking for, and it goes from running through your gate to breaking in and stealing your dog. Maybe it tries to defend the home, maybe it gets a nasty smack on the head for it's efforts.

Sorry for the harsh words but the reason most of these breeds are on that stupid list is because the kind of characters you are referring to keep them for the same reason you want one - intimidation. If anything, you'll draw more of them to you instead of scaring them away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭doubter

There's one thing that i gather here-they don't like light. Can't you install a movement senor that will switch on lights as soon as movement is detected around the gate? I would certainly advise a against a guard dog- they can gotten around and they can get hurt.
    Camera, alarm system and motion sensor with light activation should do the trick.

Oh- and you can electrify the gate-as long as there's a clear warning put up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't reccommend a dog (any dog) for security reasons. Besides which I'd rather have the dog stand with me if anyone entered the house and not have him stolen, beaten or poisoned outside. Dogs do make good house alarms though and if you have your heart set on getting another dog - most types will bark if they hear something odd at night.

However you already know someone has entered your property - a dog may not dissuade them - I would lock that gate regardless of what the LL says you have to live there - you have CCTV so if it happens again surely the gaurds will look into it. Another country tip is a Bull in feild sign on the gate - beware of dogs on your main gate - and the phonewatch system is a good one for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Was the house you are living in vacant before you moved in? Has it happened more than once? Is there any form of community alert in the area?
    Personally I would log a formal complaint with the guards.

If you were thinking of getting a second dog anyway - something with a loud bark may become a criteria but if any intruders are determined, a dog will be dispatched first and not in any kind or human way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Yes I fear of the dog being injured, our small one is locked in the bathroom at night because we fear that if the house was broken into she would be taken and to be honest shes the most valuable thing they could steal and what I mean is personal value, we adore her and the next dog will be treated the same.

We went back to the guards today and we were told its a civil matter and they can do nothing as nothing was damaged or stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If your renting the house you do t need permission to lock a gate in your garden, big chain and lock and maybe some barbed wire on it too if it's not being used

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Par1

Simply put..a dog is not your answer. You already have a dog, an alarm, cctv, and sensor lights. You say the pomeranian is a good alert dog - that is all you need. Setting a bigger dog on people is not an ideal situation and could turn into a very nasty situation. Even if the intruders are in the wrong then setting a dog on them is not the answer. How will you train the dog to distinguish between intruders and visitors? will the bigger aggressive tempered dog take to the pomeranian?..this are unclear.

It sounds like you should get your house alarm monitored by a reputable monitoring company who will notify the the guards in the event of an alarm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Doom wrote: »
    Put plenty of slippy grease on that gate and put some sort barbed wire around the top too.

Do this if you are interested in going to court.

Are the people using the field for hunting? is there any livestock in the field?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Karen91

Our garden gate is locked they are jumping over the wall its the gate into the field the landlord is refusing to lock. Its not a large field, its not hunters that are using it we know that or sure and its totally overgrown so they could actually be hiding anything in there. There is no livestock in the filed there is only one gate in and that is in our yard.

The next option is getting the alarm monitored, the worrying part about it is they know theres sensor lights, they are aware of the alarm and we have a sign warning of cctv in operation and they are still coming in usually this would be enough to put people off :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Karen91 wrote: »
    Our garden gate is locked they are jumping over the wall its the gate into the field the landlord is refusing to lock. Its not a large field, its not hunters that are using it we know that or sure and its totally overgrown so they could actually be hiding anything in there. There is no livestock in the filed there is only one gate in and that is in our yard.

The next option is getting the alarm monitored, the worrying part about it is they know theres sensor lights, they are aware of the alarm and we have a sign warning of cctv in operation and they are still coming in usually this would be enough to put people off :(

That is fcuking weird.
    Is there a pattern to the days/times/number of people?
    If there's a car waiting on the road can you call the next neighbour down that direction to go out and get the reg as it passes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Are they after mushrooms??

OP you say they're aware of CCTV and sensor lights.

Is it possible that the reason they're not worried is because they don't think they're doing anything wrong? Just someone inconsiderate doing something they don't realise is invading your personal property?

I know a good few people who would think nothing of passing through someone's property to cut 5 mins of their journey or to go for a wee. I'm not trying to belittle your worries - I'd be worried too. But maybe this is far less threatening than it seems?

Either way choosing an intimidating dog breed doesn't sound like a great idea. Until the dog is raised/settled in the home, you wont know whether it's a barker, a chaser, protective, or shy. For all your effort you could end up with a dog that will bound up to intruders quietly and let them pet him on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

Karen91 wrote: »
    Yes I fear of the dog being injured, our small one is locked in the bathroom at night because we fear that if the house was broken into she would be taken and to be honest shes the most valuable thing they could steal and what I mean is personal value, we adore her and the next dog will be treated the same.

We went back to the guards today and we were told its a civil matter and they can do nothing as nothing was damaged or stolen.

Karen,

I'm not sure who were talking to in your local station, but if I was to take a bet I'd say it was probably the local uniformed guard at the public counter. To be honest, he'll have no interest because he'll probably not see this for what it may be.

You say you have cctv and that you can see these lads on it (albeit not clearly). Can you get the dates and times that this is happening and try and establish some sort of pattern? If so, your best bet is to contact your local station again and tell them you want to speak to somebody in the drugs unit. Tell them you have some confidential info you want to pass to them about a potential stash of drugs/cash/guns and want to talk in confidence to somebody in the drugs unit.

You may well get a better response than you did at the public desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Karen,

I'm not sure who were talking to in your local station, but if I was to take a bet I'd say it was probably the local uniformed guard at the public counter. To be honest, he'll have no interest because he'll probably not see this for what it may be.

You say you have cctv and that you can see these lads on it (albeit not clearly). Can you get the dates and times that this is happening and try and establish some sort of pattern? If so, your best bet is to contact your local station again and tell them you want to speak to somebody in the drugs unit. Tell them you have some confidential info you want to pass to them about a potential stash of drugs/cash/guns and want to talk in confidence to somebody in the drugs unit.

You may well get a better response than you did at the public desk.

Exactly. You have people regularly breaking into your property and the police i.e. the public servants paid by us to protect and police the state - told you you were overreacting.. wtf!

Go back to them and if necessary to to the ombudsman?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Inconspicuous

km991148 wrote: »
    Exactly. You have people regularly breaking into your property and the police i.e. the public servants paid by us to protect and police the state - told you you were overreacting.. wtf!

Go back to them and if necessary to to the ombudsman?

Well, to be honest at most it sounds like this is tresspass as opposed to actual breaking and entering. It probably doesn't rank up there with everything else that is going on in Limerick. Not that I would for one moment belittle the effect it is having on the OP and her family.

I do agree that you should follow this up again, but maybe try a tactful approach first before going to the ombudsman. There are many levels in a garda station and if you have no success with a detective in the drugs unit, you can try the community policing unit or escalte it to the inspector, superintendent's or Chief's office.

Advertisement