Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start massage business?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have certificate (attended 36 h. courses).

What would be the first steps? Where to apply, to start the legal business? Does it need any license and etc.? Should I open self employment business or is there any another way to start it?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭Spocker

Moved to Entrepreneurial & Business Management from Adverts.ie Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Like with any business build up of clients is key, you have to stand out from the rest, offer extras or reduced fees for regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

two words.....happy ending

Mod Note:

two words..week ban

Any other stupid posts or smart comments will receive the same..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Is a 36 hour course really all that's need to become a masseuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I definitely wouldn't be flaunting a 36 hour course as being qualified.

Surely there is more courses you can do/have to do?

I'd also imagine it will be very hard to compete with hotels/spas that offer the service.

• Advertisement

I dont believe this is a regulated industry. I would think insurance would be quite important, especially with only 36 hours training things can go wrong, and you could be put out of business very quickly with a lawsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

'Cmon guys, it's an unregulated industry offering a very basic skill. 36 hours training is more than many practitioners have, I'll bet.

OP, are you looking to do this on the side of a main job? If so, just find yourself a venue, and start word-of-mouth advertising among family and friends. Do some reasearch about what other operators are charging, and charge about the same. Keep yourself some basic financial records, and declare your income to Revenue as a sole-trader. If you have something valuable that a disgruntled client could sue you for (eg house, fancy car), then organise liability insurance too - talk to an insurance broker about what you need.

If you're looking to make this your main job, then look up your Local Enterprise Office (https://www.localenterprise.ie/). They shoud have a process or course that helps you to plan and set up a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

'Cmon guys, it's an unregulated industry offering a very basic skill. 36 hours training is more than many practitioners have, I'll bet.

OP, are you looking to do this on the side of a main job? If so, just find yourself a venue, and start word-of-mouth advertising among family and friends. Do some reasearch about what other operators are charging, and charge about the same. Keep yourself some basic financial records, and declare your income to Revenue as a sole-trader. If you have something valuable that a disgruntled client could sue you for (eg house, fancy car), then organise liability insurance too - talk to an insurance broker about what you need.

If you're looking to make this your main job, then look up your Local Enterprise Office (https://www.localenterprise.ie/). They shoud have a process or course that helps you to plan and set up a business.

A very basic skill...... my wife had to do holistic massage as part of her beauty therapy course, in order to qualify for it she had to learn the anatomy inside out and different sequences and techniques, don't think she would be to impressed with that statement :-)!

Advertisement