Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What on earth is making these black dots?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

We recently moved into a new house and are plagued by these little black dots. I find them on the furniture on the windows on the leaves of house plants. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Really sorry to tell you this. It's spider poop.

No. I'm not messing. Clean it off as soon as possible. Once it hardens, it doesn't shift. Have you webs over the places you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Yep spider poop!
    Is there a ceiling spotlight over that particular spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Spiders must have taken up residence undisturbed if the house was empty. I'd vacuum every corner where they might have set up home! and don't forget the ceiling - I get the odd big one running across the floor and capture it with a beaker before I evict him out the back door. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Well that's just lovely. Spider poo I can deal with, was afraid if was something worse- what I'm not sure, just worse. Moonshadow there is a spot light directly above it and in most rooms where I've found them!!! I've lived in some awful dumps but I've never seen anything like this- and this house isnt a dump at all. Very strange.

Thank you all for your quick responses- I can now go and hunt them down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Had those dots for years, (when cleaned the dots went browny red), mostly on door frames and window sills. It's odd though because we don't get them anymore but the house is still a haven for spiders. Would any other critter be a suspect?

• Advertisement

Had those dots for years, (when cleaned the dots went browny red), mostly on door frames and window sills. It's odd though because we don't get them anymore but the house is still a haven for spiders. Would any other critter be a suspect?

These ones go browny too and they aren't too difficult to clean off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Bluebottle poop I reckon.

chopper6 wrote: »
    Bluebottle poop I reckon.

Not a blue bottle in sight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because the spiders ate them and pooped them out!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can confirm its spider poo as endacl said. Soon as I read this thread I remembered noticing brown dots on the bottom beading of a patio door glass pane. Went and had a look and sure enough there was a cotton ball spider egg sack visible in the trickle vent at the top of the patio door directly above the marks on the beading 5ft below. The next day I also saw the resident momma spider in the trickle vent. Can also confirm that 'Dat Sh!t Don't wipe off!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement