Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you work in England but get paid to your Irish Bank account?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi I just moved to England from Ireland. I was wondering if anybody knows is it possible to work in England but still get paid into your Irish bank account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

no don't think you can. employer would have to pay transfer fees. you would get charged for taking money out

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shano724

ah that's unfortunate thanks for the reply anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yes you can but I'd imagine that it would depend on the employer. It's been offered to me in the past and I plan on setting up such a system in 2015.

If you're living in the UK it's less useful though due to the charges as Help pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shano724

Hmmm okay I think it would be handier for me given I need to transfer money back to the Irish one to pay off a loan but I'll have to see how much the charges are and if the company are willing to do it I guess. Thanks for the response

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sounds like you're going to lose money somewhere. I'd open an account in the UK and transfer once monthly to Ireland. That way you're less worried about using your debitcard in the UK on a day-to-day basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

Link uk and irish bank accounts to PayPal. Pay from uk ac to PayPal then PayPal to irish ac.
    No charges 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

kelledy wrote: »
    Link uk and irish bank accounts to PayPal. Pay from uk ac to PayPal then PayPal to irish ac.
    No charges 😄

At a rate of about 3% worse than Transferwise for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

The Post Office have a free international transfer service, only one I could find. Only catch is amount needs to be a minimum of £250.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-payments?intcampaignid=MnfinanceIntPayments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The Post Office have a free international transfer service, only one I could find. Only catch is amount needs to be a minimum of £250.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/international-payments?intcampaignid=MnfinanceIntPayments

Be careful to look at exchange rate as well as fees! Postoffice pray on people not realising the "fee" is built into a dodgy rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The employer will have money laundering/ID concerns.

Just ask!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The employer will have money laundering/ID concerns.

Just ask!!

Why would the employer have money laundering concerns, you are their employee and it is clear where the money came from :confused:

If you are spending a a significant amount of the money in England you'd be changing it twice, not very efficient. Better to pay into a Sterling A/c and the transfer back to Ireland that money needed in Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Why would the employer have money laundering concerns, you are their employee and it is clear where the money came from :confused:

If you are spending a a significant amount of the money in England you'd be changing it twice, not very efficient. Better to pay into a Sterling A/c and the transfer back to Ireland that money needed in Euro.

They are very anal about complying with money laundering legislation etc in England. I just know (from my experiences) that it would be frowned upon and that you are up to something.

Plus OP, it doesn't really show massive commitment on your part if you don't open a bank account. An employer will think 'He's not worth employing as he will be gone in a few weeks.' But perhaps it is just a temp job you are doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Just open a UK account and do the monthly transfer yourself on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Just open a UK account and do the monthly transfer yourself on line.

Can be very hefty bank charges tacked on to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I am from Ireland, live in Uk, transfer money back to Ireland a lot for loans etc.

Over the past few years I've used several methos - post office transfer, paypal, am sure there's been others. But have used transferwise for quite a while now. Really good rates and very quick transfers. Would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

enda1 wrote: »
    Be careful to look at exchange rate as well as fees! Postoffice pray on people not realising the "fee" is built into a dodgy rate...

Absolutely. I stayed at a small hotel in Paddington once that had a very honest Aussie manager. This American guy wanted to cash a dollar travellers cheque and asked him if the hotel charged any commission. "No", said the manager "We don't charge commission, we just have a really lousy exchange rate".

Advertisement