Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Renewal Time

Options
  • 13-10-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Just opened my renewal letter from Laya for my health insurance - it is going to be over €1700 per year :eek:
    So obviously, I am shopping around! I am looking at the HIA website - but they have plans there which the health insurance companies do not seem to advertise on their own websites? Can I still opt for the plan which is showing on the HIA website?
    As an aside - I find the health insurance company websites woeful! It is so hard to figure out what you want/do not want, etc. and doesn't allow you to compare their different plans side by side (that I can see anyway)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

cee_jay wrote: »
    Just opened my renewal letter from Laya for my health insurance - it is going to be over €1700 per year :eek:
    So obviously, I am shopping around! I am looking at the HIA website - but they have plans there which the health insurance companies do not seem to advertise on their own websites? Can I still opt for the plan which is showing on the HIA website?
    As an aside - I find the health insurance company websites woeful! It is so hard to figure out what you want/do not want, etc. and doesn't allow you to compare their different plans side by side (that I can see anyway)!

They dont advertise them for a reason.
    Just ask for what ever one you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

You are entitled to any plan you want. There is a comparison feature on the HIA site. They don't advertise them because they are supposed to be for large companies and can therefore sell them for a discounted rate. Just be careful you don't take anything out of the cover that you need. It is very complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

thehouses wrote: »
    You are entitled to any plan you want. There is a comparison feature on the HIA site. They don't advertise them because they are supposed to be for large companies and can therefore sell them for a discounted rate. Just be careful you don't take anything out of the cover that you need. It is very complicated.

It is very very complicated! I haven't claimed anything over the past 4 years, so don't know why I have such a high level of cover. I just ended up with it as it was the insurance my previous employer supplied, and never shopped around for the past couple of years :(
    I think I know what I want, and have found a plan through the HIA site which I think suits, just couldn't see it on the insurer's webpage, which was adding to the complications!

Advertisement