Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mercedes Sl R107

Options
  • 13-10-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1978-mercedes-350sl-lorinser/6409998

Anyone know what these are like?

I'd be tempted a few times to go up and look at the above, and I saw it yesterday at the show in Swords. Needs a few odds and ends to the outside of it, namely the bonnet and the wing needing a respray.

The interior and roof are immaculuate bar the drivers seat base... I would have thought it to be worth 7-8k as opposed to 11.5k, which I think is also evident in the fact it has been for sale for so long.

Presume you would be lucky to get 20 smiles per gallon out of a 3.5 V8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

It'll do more like 13 mpg at that age

I'd say your value is spot on, they have a habit of rotting from the inside out on chassis rails/ legs.

350 is a bit of a dog of an engine compared to 450, dynamically speaking.

I'd say that fella be mad not to take an offer seriously at this stage, however bear in mind Uk values hardening,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Thought I was being a bit optimistic alright. It's more the colour scheme and the kit that are appealing in that car over the engine, most of them are real old timer golds etc.

It could be another while yet before it drops, I heard him saying he had it valued at 16k.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had a 350SL (with the 4.5 saloon engine fitted!) for a couple of years - loved it.
    Comfortable around town but eats up the road outside of the city. This is not a sports car - more a GT. But it's a car I want to own again.

And I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think that DoneDeal SL is awful. Sorry!

Ya, definitely in the eye the beer holder, we're probably of a different era!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭goochy

thinks it looks awful , but if its a lorinser car from new it could be a good investment - i.e sell to uk

• Advertisement

goochy wrote: »
    thinks it looks awful , but if its a lorinser car from new it could be a good investment - i.e sell to uk

It's not!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭rubin_spitfire

Hi,

Previous owner of both six-cylinder and V8 R107. I have a lot of experience with these 107 models. Toured Europe in my 1978 SL 500 for three months not long ago in 2012 summer.

A worry with V8 engines is a blocked oil feed pipe to the camshafts. If this has been neglected due to poor servicing, it can mean a big repair bill to sort. Listen for any ticking sounds from the top of the engine on start up as an indicator.
    The radiator on all R107 SL models can become clogged with silt. It’s a huge radiator, so it will be a long time before it’s obvious there’s a problem, so best to have the radiator flushed or replaced when you buy one.

Of the top of my head, these are the only problems to definitely look for. Very reliable cars, and great to drive. No sports car but a GT car as mentioned above. And I think Lorinser models look great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

The lads have covered it here. A good rust free car is worth a lot as moist do have body issues. the cost a lot to repair as they are built like a tank so a lot of stripping is necessary. They hide their rust extremely well so any potential purchase needs to be forensically investigated.

I think any car with a "kit" no matter who made it or put it on, is worth less. Saying that, the Lorinser kit on a 107 isnt the worst I've seen.

Mechanicals are bulletproof, save from the usual check that would apply to any car. The problems indicated above by "rubin" ARE typical but are cheap to sort. Unless you have a history budget on going through the brakes and steering components thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭w124man

I have met the owner and viewed the car at a vintage run. I was interested in the wheels but had the chance to take a good look around. I love the 107 but this one is shocking to say the least. The kindest comment about the car that day was along the lines of ' I suppose the owner loves it!'

Like any classic car the story is in the detail ......

To be fair to it I had a good look around it and from what you can see without having it on a lift it's all there, unless you're refering to the kit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement