Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocation Advice Needed!

Options
  • 13-10-2014 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this is not in the right place.

So I have recently been offered a job in Dublin, and will have to relocate.

The area I will be working in is Finglas and I am just looking for suggestions of where I could consider moving to.

I am not necessarily looking for somewhere in Dublin as I believe the rent will be astronomical, but am open to all options based on my criteria below:

-Going on my salary I am hoping to get a place for €600/month or less.

-I would prefer a 1 bedroom place as I am not too keen on the idea of living with randomers.

-I would not mind living somewhere in Kildare or Meath as long as there would be a train station near by, as I believe there is a train station only 5 minute walk from the place I will be working in.

-Commute time less than and hour, preferably 20-30 mins if at all possible.

-Somewhere that is safe and secure.

-Decent gym near by would also be good.

So if you have any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it as I am not too familiar with that part of the country.

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Hi All,

Firstly apologies if this is not in the right place.

So I have recently been offered a job in Dublin, and will have to relocate.

The area I will be working in is Fingal and I am just looking for suggestions of where I could consider moving to.

I am not necessarily looking for somewhere in Dublin as I believe the rent will be astronomical, but am open to all options based on my criteria below:

-Going on my salary I am hoping to get a place for €600/month or less.

-I would prefer a 1 bedroom place as I am not too keen on the idea of living with randomers.

-I would not mind living somewhere in Kildare or Meath as long as there would be a train station near by, as I believe there is a train station only 5 minute walk from the place I will be working in.

-Commute time less than and hour, preferably 20-30 mins if at all possible.

-Somewhere that is safe and secure.

-Decent gym near by would also be good.

So if you have any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it as I am not too familiar with that part of the country.

Thanks. :)

Where in Fingal?

€600 would get you a nice place to share, but not your own place. All the rest really depend on where, I mean Fingal is huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 uknowwhatimean

Holsten wrote: »
    Where in Fingal?

€600 would get you a nice place to share, but not your own place. All the rest really depend on where, I mean Fingal is huge!

Sorry I meant Finglas!

I'll echo what I said in my previous post about not being familiar with the area.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

No train station in Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    No train station in Finglas

Could be Broombridge, by the Dublin industrial estate. Not at the heart of sunny Finglas but close enough. We need more info OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Borzoi wrote: »
    Could be Broombridge, by the Dublin industrial estate. Not at the heart of sunny Finglas but close enough. We need more info OP

And not a station you want to live anywhere near, much less use!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Broombridge is fine if you're tall, stocky, male, and look mad. Otherwise best to avoid, as it tends to attract scum after dark.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Also- if you're looking in the greater Kildare and Meath areas- be aware that there are different train lines serving areas that are quite close to one another- but have no interconnections- e.g. Hazelhatch in Celbridge- has no interconnection to Louisa Bridge in Leixlip etc etc

Plus- 600 a month- is not going to get you your own apartment in the greater Kildare/Meath area- rents are significantly higher than this.........

You may need to reappraise your decision not to share with others..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Finglas rent is on the cheap side for dublin but still not cheap in any meaningful way.

A one-bed apartment near Charlstown is gonna cost the guts of 900 pm and a house will be 1200 pm or more.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/dublin/finglas/

Thanks for all the replies. Certainly some food for thought.

Any opinion on this place in Leixlip?

daft.ie/lettings/26-riverforest-view-leixlip-kildare/1494979/

Google maps says it would be an 18 minute drive to Finglas which wouldn't be too bad at all, but how realistic would this be in rush hour traffic?

The ad does state it is located to the near the Confey Train station so this would also be convenent if it gets me to Finglas.

Any opinions on this place in Leixlip?

Google maps says it would be an 18 minute drive to Finglas which wouldn't be too bad at all, but how realistic would this be in rush hour traffic?

The ad does state it is located to the near the Confey Train station so this would also be convenient if it gets me to Finglas.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The ad does state it is located to the near the Confey Train station so this would also be convenent if it gets me to Finglas.

18 minute drive to Finglas?
    Someone is being hopelessly optimistic.
    In rush hour- it could very easily take up to an hour and a half......

Vis-a-vis getting the train from Confey- the nearest station to Finglas would be Cabra (Broombridge)- you would have a bit of a walk at the other end- and to be perfectly honest with you- its not somewhere you want to be in the dark........

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

T

Not a chance you would drive from Lexilip to Fingals in 18 minutes in the rush hour, more like 45.

Also that train station goes to Connolly, you'd then have to get a bus to Finglas, which would take over an hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Forget about travelling from finglas to maynooth by train,thats just crazy.

If you're gonna work in finglas it makes sense to live in finglas too.

The only problenm is your unrealistic expectation of how much accomnadation will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The ad does state it is located to the near the Confey Train station so this would also be convenient if it gets me to Finglas.

18 minute helicopter ride maybe. There are alot of undesirable areas in the finglas area( including parts of Finglas) so be careful where you choose to live.

Ok so it seems I may have to reluctantly change my mind about living with others in terms of rent prices.

If I was to live with others to reduce rent cost, where would you suggest I look for accommodation which would be in someway reasonable price wise and safe?

From what I can gather, Finglas doesn't seem to be a terribly safe place to live at all.

I guess that means I will be just making the commute to the area for work (either by car or public transport which is more economical) and then getting out of there when I finish in the evening.

So bearing this in mind, and my change of heart in being more open to living with others, where would you suggest I look?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Ok so it seems I may have to reluctantly change my mind about living with others in terms of rent prices.

If I was to live with others to reduce rent cost, where would you suggest I look for accommodation which would be in someway reasonable price wise and safe?

From what I can gather, Finglas doesn't seem to be a terribly safe place to live at all.

I guess that means I will be just making the commute to the area for work (either by car or public transport which is more economical) and then getting out of there when I finish in the evening.

So bearing this in mind, and my change of heart in being more open to living with others, where would you suggest I look?

Glasnevin, Drumcondra or Santry are nice areas commutable by bus or car to finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

What about Tyrellstown or Blanchardstown? I live in the latter and do a bit of work in Finglas and can do it in 8 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Looks like someone converted their back kitchen and garage into a living space. May or may not keep the heat very well.

I'd advise you to live in a hostel in Dublin for a few weeks to get a better grasp of the property in Dublin. Most hostels do monthly rates.

Even if you go along the back roads, it won't take 18 minutes, as you'll get stuck somewhere with traffic heading towards Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

happypants wrote: »
    Glasnevin, Drumcondra or Santry are nice areas commutable by bus or car to finglas.

Would second this suggestion , have family members living in this area and it's fine, handy enough for Finglas too but be prepared to fork out more for your accommodation. Worth checking out this area though !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Large parts of Finglas are fine to live in as well. Anywhere up around Charlestown/IKEA for example has little or no problems. Lanesborough, Charlestown,Mayeston, Hampton are all decent estates to live in and there is Ben Dunne gym in Northwood in Santry which is only a 15 minute walk / 5 minute drive from that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Iago wrote: »
    Large parts of Finglas are fine to live in as well. Anywhere up around Charlestown/IKEA for example has little or no problems. Lanesborough, Charlestown,Mayeston, Hampton are all decent estates to live in and there is Ben Dunne gym in Northwood in Santry which is only a 15 minute walk / 5 minute drive from that area.

I used to live in one of the apartment blocks on the dual carriageway in Finglas near the tesco.

That area is absolutely fine, never had any issues day or night and I was usually on my own. The village itself is grand too.

I would agree with others to definitely avoid Broombridge station if at all possible. It's dodgy in broad daylight let alone on dark winter evenings.

happypants wrote: »
    amtc wrote: »
    What about Tyrellstown or Blanchardstown? I live in the latter and do a bit of work in Finglas and can do it in 8 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely check these out.

Advertisement